Transfer Flops

Martin Lol

Guest Chubby Jason

Signing Marveaux on a five-year deal was an awful decision.

Why?

Have you seen how many league games he has started in his career?

Bore off you dullard.

:rolleyes:

3. Downing, 20mil. Not got a premier league assist or goal yet for the scousers, and there was the stat the other day showing something like 37 of his   

38 passes in the final third of the game v City were backwards.

I wanted to keep Downing, but 20m cheered me immensely.

He's a decent player, but he will need time to settle. When we bought him - when he couldn't so much as stand up let alone play for several months, so thanks for paying us back, you lizard faced CUNT - we waited for him to get fit, then he had a half season of looking utterly atrocious. Last season he looked far better. He's not a 20m player, though.

One thing I'll say for him, I know wingers aren't meant to go crunching into tackles too often, but Downing bottles more challenges than any other player I have ever seen.

N'Zogbia, Alan Hutton and Roger Johnson stand out for me.

N'Zogbia has been very good the last 3 or 4 games.

Hutton is the worst full back I've seen in 37 years of watching Aston Villa regularly, but I don't see how anyone could call him a flop - that label implies people expected him to be good.

Anyone who has watched more than a handful of matches (and isn't McLeish) could have told you Hutton is a brainless clogger.

Hutton is the worst full back I've seen in 37 years of watching Aston Villa regularly, but I don't see how anyone could call him a flop - that label implies people expected him to be good.

Anyone who has watched more than a handful of matches (and isn't McLeish) could have told you Hutton is a brainless clogger.

You need to stop buying domestic.

Edit: As in Aston Villa Football Club, not your goodself of course.

Old habits die hard.

Mind you, Given was domestic, and he turned out alright.

Fair play on N'Zogbia, but he was awful for the first 15 games wasn't he?

As for Hutton, if you pay money for a player who actually repeatedly attempts to kill people on the pitch, I'd call that a flop.

Yeah, he was poor, but he's playing better now.

I'm not defending Hutton in any way shape of form. I'm saying he's worse than a flop. A flop implies you thought he'd do well. Anyone with a brain can see Hutton's fucking useless.

Old habits die hard.

True.

Problem is, paying good money for English players doesn't even get you England B players. It's 3rd and 4th rate now. Buying those kind of players is just accepting your run on the ladder rather than trying to box clever and make up the gap.

Look at Spurs for example, flying high right now. Last season if you'd asked a Spurs fan which players they wanted shot of I bet they'd have mentioned Hutton, Jenas and Keane. McLeish has bought/signed all 3 of them.

Old habits die hard.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4054602/McLeish-No1-spot-is-no-Given.html

:yao:

Maybe I'm in a minority of one, but I think Downing has looked pretty good this season.

You're in a minority of three.

Stewart Downing

Stewart Downing's mom

You.

It was four until last week, but the fourth was that ex girfriend he twatted on Saturday night, and she's changed her mind now.

Old habits die hard.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4054602/McLeish-No1-spot-is-no-Given.html

:yao:

Guzan has done very well in his absence.

Maybe I'm in a minority of one, but I think Downing has looked pretty good this season.

Stewart Downing

Stewart Downing's mom

You.

It was four until last week, but the fourth was that ex girfriend he twatted on Saturday night, and she's changed her mind now.

KKKenny?

Stewart Downing

Stewart Downing's mom

You.

KKKenny?

He's too busy burning down the Reichstag and smashing up synagogues to give a shit these days.

He's looked decent for England (once anyway). Has literally done nothing of note for the Scousers.

Most of the players listed here will come good. Hell, half the forum was laughing at Ruiz at the start of the season but he's slowly settling in. He has great technique and in a couple of years, everyone will say 'what a great signing', forgetting their prior opinion on him. The story with Mertesacker is similar. He's a good player and Arsenal will have a very strong defence when he settles in. Gervinho is class, too. Quite a unique player. I don't know why he's been mentioned in this thread.

When you pay money for potential, you can't classify the signing as a flop if the player isn't good right away. Jones has had some good games and some bad games, but he's really young and will be amazing in time. I like the look of Henderson, too. He doesn't have much about him but he plays smart passes and is able to exploit weaknesses. He'll be good in time, in a passing team, too.

Players like Roger Johnson are genuine flops. Torres and Carroll, no doubt. Nasri, too, for now.

And I bet you Savic will come good, too.

People are too quick to write off good footballers. You don't have to watch them for a long time to see that their fundamentals are excellent. With time, with experience, they will improve immeasurably. Like Coloccini, like Vidic, like Ivanovic. These players are Savic's comps.

Flops from summer transfer window:

Downing

Obertan

Hutton

Roger Johnson

Charlie Adam

Kieron Dyer

N'zogbia

Park Chu Young

Lukaku

Andre Santos

Bryan Ruiz

Flops from summer transfer window:

Downing

Obertan

Hutton

Roger Johnson

Charlie Adam

Kieron Dyer

N'zogbia

Park Chu Young

Lukaku

Andre Santos

Bryan Ruiz

Not sure how you can put Ruiz and Lukaku in there. I think Ruiz has started looking good and as for Lukaku, he's hardly been given a fair crack of the whip to prove himself imo. Charlie Adam hasn't been a flop either in my eyes, he's just not a great player. He's doing what I expected of him, so I guess that's why I don't consider him a flop!

Guest MrSundlofer

Chocking to see some names in here  :lol: Obertan? He cost us around £3.5M and has played 20 games this season. Made some assists and some good performances down the right flank. He has also made some poor performances and isn't the ultimate team player to track back. He is not a flop!  :lol:

And Charlie Adam?  :lol: He has started all games for Liverpool in the league and has scored 2 goals. Not a flop.

And you can't honestly think Romelu Lukaku is a flop?  :lol: Was he expected to start in attack instead of Torres, Mata, Sturridge, Drogba and Malouda? No. His time will come. As expected.