The other games today - 2011/12

Rich

Surely it's only in our interests for Liverpool to win if they end up finishing above us in the League and one of Chelsea or Arsenal finish below us. How annoying would it be for us to finish sixth and not qualify for Europe and for them to finish below us and still qualify!?!

There's no real conflict of interest here lads. Come on Cardiff!!

Heh? If Cardiff win any chance of 7th, where we are quite likely to finish, being good enough for Europe is gone (will go to Cardiff)..

And if Liverpool win and we finish 6th?

Wouldn't affect our chances I don't think. Would be dependent on the FA Cup finalists.. That's how I understood it anyway..

For us to finish 7th and qualify for Europe it'd need Liverpool to win today and finish above us and one of Chelsea, Liverpool or Spurs to win the FA cup and finish above us.

No, it would depend simply on who the FA Cup finalists are, who wins is irrelevant.

Only if they're both teams above us.

Surely it's only in our interests for Liverpool to win if they end up finishing above us in the League and one of Chelsea or Arsenal finish below us. How annoying would it be for us to finish sixth and not qualify for Europe and for them to finish below us and still qualify!?!

Heh? If Cardiff win any chance of 7th, where we are quite likely to finish, being good enough for Europe is gone (will go to Cardiff)..

Wouldn't affect our chances I don't think. Would be dependent on the FA Cup finalists.. That's how I understood it anyway..

For us to finish 7th and qualify for Europe it'd need Liverpool to win today and finish above us and one of Chelsea, Liverpool or Spurs to win the FA cup and finish above us.

If Man U or Man City won the Europa cup I think that would give another European place to the Premiership too.

At this rate, everyone will be playing in Europe next year :lol:

A top 7 finish looks achievable.

Liverpool to win the League Cup is what we are watching today.

One of Chelsea, Liverpool or Spurs to win the FA Cup looks a distinct possibility.

All in all, despite my dislike for Liverpool, I think a Liverpool win would be best for our European prospects this season..

If Man U or Man City won the Europa cup I think that would give another European place to the Premiership too.

First I've heard of it. Source?

No, it would depend simply on who the FA Cup finalists are, who wins is irrelevant.

Well yeah... but if Chelsea, Liverpool or Spurs win the FA Cup, that won't open another place for us, as you suggested - it'll go to the beaten finalists. The only way we might come into play in that scenario is if they're playing each other.

One of Chelsea, Liverpool or Spurs to win the FA Cup looks a distinct possibility.

All in all, despite my dislike for Liverpool, I think a Liverpool win would be best for our European prospects this season..

But we would need the beaten finalists in the FA Cup to have qualifed for Europe too

This, and I absolutely detest the cunts. Love for nufc comes first though.

But we would need the beaten finalists in the FA Cup to have qualifed for Europe too

Aye. I know I will be gutted if we finish 7th and the FA Cup final is an all top 6 affair and we lose "our" european place to fucking Cardiff..

Well yeah... but if Chelsea, Liverpool or Spurs win the FA Cup, that won't open another place for us, as you suggested - it'll go to the beaten finalists. The only way we might come into play in that scenario is if they're playing each other.

Did they not change that?

No. They changed it to that, hence why Stoke got in last season. Long gone are the days where we would lose in the semis and get a place.

No. They changed it to that, hence why Stoke got in last season. Long gone are the days where we would lose in the semis and get a place.

The final runners up only get in if the team that won it have qualified for the CL.

Really? That could be handy then.

First I've heard of it. Source?

I'm pretty sure I remember reading it recently (possibly when Man U and City dropped into the Europa league). It always seems to be quite difficult to find an exact rule on how European places go to the Premiership (outside of the top 4 qualifying for the Champions League and 5th qualifying for the Europa league).

The League cup: -

The winners qualify for the UEFA Europa League, unless they have qualified for the Champions League through their league position, in which case the Europa League berth goes to the highest-placed team from the Premier League not already qualified for Europe.

Europa Cup: -

The winner of the UEFA Europa League qualifies for the UEFA Super Cup.

The FA cup: -

As well as being presented with the trophy, the winning team also qualifies for the UEFA Europa League (formerly named the UEFA Cup). If the winners have already qualified for the UEFA Champions League via the Premier League, the UEFA Europa League place goes to the FA Cup runners-up. If the winners have also qualified for the Europa League through finishing fifth in the Premier League, the FA Cup runners-up do not qualify, with the sixth placed team in the league receiving the Europa League place. If the runners-up have also qualified for the UEFA Champions League or are not entitled to play in UEFA competitions for any reason, the place goes to the next highest placed finisher in the league table. The FA Cup winners also qualify for the single-match FA Community Shield against the Premier League Champions.

So assuming we're not going to finish 4th, we need Liverpool or Chelsea (well, Chelsea) to win the FA Cup and finish 5th, with us coming 6th. If Spurs do it, the runners up will take it, and Liverpool are cunts.