The other games today - 2011/12

Rich

Honestly think Messi will become the benchmark by which all players are compared. At the minute it's still Pele. Maradona and Best - in 5 years time it'll be Messi. He's untouchable and unplayable at the minute. He's a joy to watch. 

Honestly think Messi will become the benchmark by which all players are compared. At the minute it's still Pele. Maradona and Best - in 5 years time it'll be Messi. He's untouchable and unplayable at the minute. He's a joy to watch. 

So true.

http://www.footballmundial.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/ronaldo_barca3.jpg

He's the only one.

Messi is everything Ronaldo was but far more efficient.

In what way is he more efficient? Actually not even more efficient, but the fact you've said far more efficient is utterly absurd.

I still think Pele is the best but it's getting harder to make a case against Messi.

Would've said Messi and Ronaldo were on a similar level a couple of years ago, maybe Ronaldo at his peak slightly ahead as he was a bit more influential for his teams. But Messi's added elements to his game, he's as much of a playmaker as Xavi now, while still maintaining Ronaldo-esque dribbling, skill and end product. So that puts him above the buck-toothed fat one, who also never performed over as long a period as Messi has, not that it was his fault he was basically mal-nourished as a child.

He's had better games than today mind but still scored 4. I remember when he scored 4 against arsenal, which was great, but his game wasn't quite as diversified or influential as it's got last season and this.

He's the only one.

In what way is he more efficient? Actually not even more efficient, but the fact you've said far more efficient is utterly absurd.

lol u mad bro.

Would've said Messi and Ronaldo were on a similar level a couple of years ago, maybe Ronaldo at his peak slightly ahead as he was a bit more influential for his teams. But Messi's added elements to his game, he's as much of a playmaker as Xavi now, while still maintaining Ronaldo-esque dribbling, skill and end product. So that puts him above the buck-toothed fat one, who also never performed over as long a period as Messi has, not that it was his fault he was basically mal-nourished as a child.

He's had better games than today mind but still scored 4. I remember when he scored 4 against arsenal, which was great, but his game wasn't quite as diversified or influential as it's got last season and this.

This.

Totally agree with that johnny, you're spot on and one of the things that has really impressed me with Messi is how great of a playmaker he has become. It's great seeing him drop off and pick out a pass.

He's the only one.

lol u mad bro.

I expected a better rhetort.

I still think Pele is the best but it's getting harder to make a case against Messi.

messi is now alongside cruyff and maradona for me. he has to make a few moves of the totally spectacular  (the dummy on the keeper "genius....what , what genius" against uruguay ?, or the shot from 60yds v czechoslovakia ?)to get up with pele

Is there anyone out there now who doesn't think Messi is the best they've seen? Or even the best in the world?

Xavi and Zidane IMO.

I equate 'best' with controlling games though. Also, I don't think the 'international stage' argument is as spurious as everyone would have you believe. Comparing him to the likes of George Best is facile IMO.

Some of his international colleagues currently include Aguero, Higuain, Tevez, Mascherano, di Maria and many other top class players. Don't even get me started on the likes of Colo and Gutierrez :bluestar:

I don't personally believe he is incapable of performing outside of Barcelona, but if he really wants to compete with the ilk of Maradona, Pele and other candidates, what is stopping him from doing the business at the Grandest Stage of Them All,... Wrestlemania! World Cup?

[And I ask that as a very sincere question].

The respective abilities of players are not characterised by success at a single tournament type, they are what they are - inalienable almost, but given Messi's supreme talent, he should be able to replicate his form at a World Cup. I suppose it depends on how you see 'greatness'. Do you have to do great things to be great? Or can you be great without ever fulfilling your maximum potential?

He will be great no matter what now, but if he wants to contest for the title of the greatest - he still has challenges ahead of him. He's got youth on his side, and I hope he does perform at a WC like he is capable of doing.

He's the only one.

lol u mad bro.

I expected a better rhetort.

Why, my original response was only to get a rise out of you anyway.

Is there anyone out there now who doesn't think Messi is the best they've seen? Or even the best in the world?

Xavi and Zidane IMO.

I equate 'best' with controlling games though. Also, I don't think the 'international stage' argument is as spurious as everyone would have you believe. Comparing him to the likes of George Best is facile IMO.

Some of his international colleagues currently include Aguero, Higuain, Tevez, Mascherano, di Maria and many other top class players. Don't even get me started on the likes of Colo and Gutierrez :bluestar:

I don't personally believe he is incapable of performing outside of Barcelona, but if he really wants to compete with the ilk of Maradona, Pele and other candidates, what is stopping him from doing the business at the Grandest Stage of Them All,... Wrestlemania! World Cup?

[And I ask that as a very sincere question].

The respective abilities of players are not characterised by success at a single tournament type, they are what they are - inalienable almost, but given Messi's supreme talent, he should be able to replicate his form at a World Cup. I suppose it depends on how you see 'greatness'. Do you have to do great things to be great? Or can you be great without ever fulfilling your maximum potential?

He will be great no matter what now, but if he wants to contest for the title of the greatest - he still has challenges ahead of him. He's got youth on his side, and I hope he does perform at a WC like he is capable of doing.

Just compare his last WC to Maradona's at the same age. Maradona's ended up with him not handling the pressure at all and getting sent off.

Completely daft using a 7 game tournament inwhich players are thrown together and asked to work it out 'on the night' as a yardstick to a player's greatness. May as well use the Nike cage.

That's one hilariously exaggerated characterisation of the World Cup you've just concocted to suit your argument :lol:

Whilst I don't think Messi has to win a World Cup to put himself up there with there with Pele and Maradonna, imagine if he leads Argentina to a World Cup victory in Brazil in two years time. Might as well just hang up the boots then and there, he'd have pretty much clocked football.