NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

I'm not sure where the idea Torres has been playing better recently comes from either. He looks slightly more involved because he's been playing wide - that's it, but it doesn't suit him and never will. The Torres that was legitimately world class for a year or 2 played right up top, on the shoulder of defenders and destroyed teams with pace, power combined with the skill and composure in front of goal. The pace and power have gone and in turn so has his confidence.

He hasn't even looked at all like getting some kind of goalscoring form back, a hattrick against an abysmal QPR side and a free run on goal against Barca are all he's done since the turn of the year.

I've been wondering what would happen to Ba if we happen to sign someone like Eljero Elia.

rotate with cisse... u cant imagine cisse 50+ game a season right & europe? or u want rotate cisse with big sho?

I'm not sure where the idea Torres has been playing better recently comes from either. He looks slightly more involved because he's been playing wide - that's it, but it doesn't suit him and never will. The Torres that was legitimately world class for a year or 2 played right up top, on the shoulder of defenders and destroyed teams with pace, power combined with the skill and composure in front of goal. The pace and power have gone and in turn so has his confidence.

He hasn't even looked at all like getting some kind of goalscoring form back, a hattrick against an abysmal QPR side and a free run on goal against Barca are all he's done since the turn of the year.

He had a canny shot that hit the bar against Liverpool. That's the only glimpse of owld Torres I can remember seeing in the last 2 years.

He had a canny shot that hit the bar against Liverpool. That's the only glimpse of owld Torres I can remember seeing in the last 2 years.

I do agree that he looked much better in the last month+. Clearly playing with more confidence, better touch, some excellent crosses - he's not the player he was a few years back though.

It's funny that in the Michael Owen thread you've made a post about once him losing his pace he had nothing else - which is accurate.

The same thing has happened to Torres, he obliterated this league based on his physical attributes. They've wained - they wained visibly even when he was at Liverpool, watch his goals reel on Youtube and you can actually see the decline. He's a busted flush and will not get back to the level he was once at, a level that only truly lasted 1 season in his whole career.

To suggest swapping the most in-form striker in Europe, who is hungry to imrpove and on an upwards trajectory in his career for somebody who hasn't played legimitately well for over two years and would cost 3 times as much in wages is just completely absurd.

I think Torres has far more skill and technical ability than Owen to be honest with you. His problems are actually similar to the ones Owen had in that he has returned from some injury problems completely lacking in aggressiveness and confidence. Frankly, I believe he is faster than all of our strikers, but you would never know it because he is unwilling to try things and attack defenders the way he used to. I wouldn't want him here for simply financial reasons, but I think he would still be a top quality player if he ever regained his mental attributes. He is not a lost cost like Owen after his knee exploded.

Has he been playing outwide? I thought he was mostly competition for Drogba and Ramires/Kalou were the ones outwide. I haven't seen too many of their league matches to be fair, though.

Guest MrSundlofer

Fernando Torres should do a "Diego Forlán", sign for a club in Spain and start scoring goals again.

I'm not sure what you mean about Torres obliterating the league due to his physical attributes swelly. He was outstanding in LFC because of his combination of speed, movement, ball touch and finishing skills. But PL is a physical league and he got injured. So he bulked up in order to protect himself better.. If you look at Torres now compared to earlier, he's much bigger. But Torres'  increased size  hurt his speed and movement . Instead of being a mobile, nimble attacker who could easily outturn a defender, he's become more stationary player who's good at protecting the ball. 

It's funny that in the Michael Owen thread you've made a post about once him losing his pace he had nothing else - which is accurate.

The same thing has happened to Torres, he obliterated this league based on his physical attributes. They've wained - they wained visibly even when he was at Liverpool, watch his goals reel on Youtube and you can actually see the decline. He's a busted flush and will not get back to the level he was once at, a level that only truly lasted 1 season in his whole career.

To suggest swapping the most in-form striker in Europe, who is hungry to imrpove and on an upwards trajectory in his career for somebody who hasn't played legimitately well for over two years and would cost 3 times as much in wages is just completely absurd.

I think Torres has far more skill and technical ability than Owen to be honest with you. His problems are actually similar to the ones Owen had in that he has returned from some injury problems completely lacking in aggressiveness and confidence. Frankly, I believe he is faster than all of our strikers, but you would never know it because he is unwilling to try things and attack defenders the way he used to. I wouldn't want him here for simply financial reasons, but I think he would still be a top quality player if he ever regained his mental attributes. He is not a lost cost like Owen after his knee exploded.

Has he been playing outwide? I thought he was mostly competition for Drogba and Ramires/Kalou were the ones outwide. I haven't seen too many of their league matches to be fair, though.

He definitely has more technical ability than Owen but I still think his problems are physical deteriation and the mental side is just a knock-on effect. I don't think he will ever return to his previous level.

I reckon Torres moved from Liverpool to soon. They seemed to look after him there and he looked lost when he first went to Chelsea, combine that with the huge price tag and the eyes of the footballing world on him, it was a pressure he has never really go to grips with. I still think he's a wonderful footballer, but his problems are in his head, not his feet.

Agree that if he moved abroad he would score hatfuls again.

Guest taps01

What's with all the Torres talk. His team just won the champs league and all he can talk about is himself! Who cares.

I reckon if Liverpool had just sent him on holiday when his goal drought started, and he didn't get into that rhythm of messing up game after game after game that killed his confidence so badly he may well have come back brighter. That said do think there is something to say for it not just being a confidence thing, his speed has maybe dropped and he may have been one of those players who peaked earlier than most, and like Owen without his pace there's not enough of a footballer there to adapt.

Anyway enough Torres talk, there's a lot of talk in the press about us going for Mark Davies from Bolton, is he actually any good?

Any coincidence that Torres has been playing regularly at the top level since his teens, whereas Drogba didn't make it to the top till relatively late on and is still putting in top drawer performances and hasn't really lost any of his physical attributes despite being in his 30s?

Torres was a great goalscorer but certainly isn't and never has been a wonderful footballer.

:thup:

Not having that like.  Up until the last World Cup Torres was a fucking brilliant footballer.

One of the best strikers in the world in his first 3 seasons at Liverpool and wasn't just because of goalscoring.  Even at Atletico he was never prolific infront of goal, but his ability and all round play was there for all to see.

Any coincidence that Torres has been playing regularly at the top level since his teens, whereas Drogba didn't make it to the top till relatively late on and is still putting in top drawer performances and hasn't really lost any of his physical attributes despite being in his 30s?

Not really..... the reason Torres decline is so drastic because he relied almost exclusively on his pace and ability to get in behind opposition defences which is why he was so effective in this league....

Alot of people in Spain said once Torres lost his pace he would decline pretty fast and here we are....

Drogba had so much more to his game than just pure physicality..... he could out run you, he could bully you, he could do you for movement, score tap ins and be a threat in the air in both boxes....

Torres is/was decidely one dimensional compared to Drogba.

I always felt Torres while great in his prime was quite overrated and was quite one dimensional he would usually try the same move over and over again.... i.e. try to get in behind the defence and use his pace.

Theres a reason his best time came at Liverpool who had Gerrard who would constant slip through balls in for him to run on to and in a league that is very direct and where defence usually leave alot of space in behind....

Probably why he struggled in Spain by comparison and i personally believed he would have flopped in Italy because the defences in Italy and Spain are usually alot deeper ( apart from a few teams) and wouldnt allowed him to exploit them with his pace.....

Probably again why he enjoyed playing against Barca and struggled against R.Madrid and his international record is bloody awful.

So no i dont think he would suddenly start scoring again abroad this is the league that suits him the most or did and now he has lost about 80% what made him great i dont see him ever reaching a good level ever again.

the thing with Torres is at this stage I don't think its an ability or physical thing, its a mental thing and something just snapped in his head to utterly remove the old confidence he had, now he almost seems afraid to take a shot

Torres was a great goalscorer but certainly isn't and never has been a wonderful footballer.

:thup:

Not having that like.  Up until the last World Cup Torres was a fucking brilliant footballer.

One of the best strikers in the world in his first 3 seasons at Liverpool and wasn't just because of goalscoring.  Even at Atletico he was never prolific infront of goal, but his ability and all round play was there for all to see.

Yeah, there's some extreme pieces of revisionism going on here.

I'm not sure how Torres got derailed, but there were injury problems and then IIRC he was fed up with the political situation at Anfield, felt the club was going nowhere, and wanted out. I don't think he was giving his all in that final season, as if to hasten a move, much to his discredit. Trouble is, it's not so easy to then instantly turn on your best form like you were flicking a switch.

The move to Chelsea was problematic from the start, because he and Drogba were never going to be an ideal combination, and Drogba was a difficult hombre to shift. As it is, he's walking out of Stamford Bridge, head held high, at the time of his choosing.

I gather Torres is a very shy character who has difficulty in imposing himself. I think he needs support and he sank without trace in the Chelsea dressing room. It's interesting that he's now found his voice, like some confidence has returned.

I wouldn't be surprised if he has a really good Euro and attracts some big money interest. And he really needs to leave Chelsea and get a fresh start. It's over for him at that club.