NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

I don't think anyone's saying it's been anything worse than a mediocre window. Doesn't mean we're necessarily going to struggle or that it has any implications on how we'll conduct business in future windows. We evidently have very strict rules on how we go about getting players in but when they come in, they're invariably very good

Exactly.

The only area we're weaker in is up front, letting Best go so early was a strange one.

We could have improved more, but we haven't really got worse.

Guest neesy111

The squad had to get a good bit stronger if we are to compete in the cups and league sufficiently.  We got knocked out both cups pretty early last season which meant just about all key games were in the league.

Zero point in qualifying for europe if your not going to build a squad strong enough to compete in it.

shit's getting real in this thread. As long as there are no outgoings, I don't have a problem

This.

Think last year's transfer window was really, really a great one. This year it's not been bad, just not as good as last summer.

Shifting Best, Lovenkrands, Smith, Guthrie off the wage bill and only bringing in one first team player and a few kids is a mediocre window at best.

Is the absolute right answer.

I don't think anyone's saying it's been anything worse than a mediocre window. Doesn't mean we're necessarily going to struggle or that it has any implications on how we'll conduct business in future windows. We evidently have very strict rules on how we go about getting players in but when they come in, they're invariably very good

Exactly.

The only area we're weaker in is up front, letting Best go so early was a strange one.

We could have improved more, but we haven't really got worse.

Pedantic perhaps, but if those around you improve while you stay the same - by any meaningful measure - you are worse IMO.

Those around us, and those below us have improved a fair bit.

Guest firetotheworks

It's canny depressing to go from yearning for added quality to fearing for the loss of it. We finished 5th ffs.

@toonstuffnthings Toon Stuff N Things

Apparently senior Newcastle players are not best pleased at the squad not being improved on...

...Player spokesman, Shola Ameobi, was filmed confronting Derek Llambias about the club's ambitions...

http://i.imgur.com/AXuBD.gif

That for real? Shola?

Apparently senior Newcastle players are not best pleased at the squad not being improved on...

...Player spokesman, Shola Ameobi, was filmed confronting Derek Llambias about the club's ambitions...

That for real? Shola?

Is this when the squad harmoney goes away and we start struggeling again? Hopefully this is bs as most stuff on twitter.

Guest neesy111

s***'s getting real in this thread. As long as there are no outgoings, I don't have a problem

There already has been f***ing outgoings though, this squad is weaker than last seasons.

Nope

How is it now weaker then?

We have 1 less striker than last season for starters.

Right, and he would have made all the difference would he? We've got Ba, Cisse, and Shola as striker, plus Ben Arfa, Obertan, Vuckic, Campbell etc who can play either there or just off a striker.

I genuinely don't see the issue.

Elsewhere we have more competition in midfield and fullback positions (Anita and the young'uns), and Good who is apparently a decent player to push the 4 senior CBs we have on the books (of which all four I'd say are perfectly capable players).

Well if Ba and Cisse both get injured yes.  Also both have looked pretty average so far this season and we have nothing on the bench to change it.

Also did you watch last season where Ba's best form came next to Best.

That for real? Shola?

Oh definitely, and by the look of it Llambias has been on the supplements. :lol:

Guest neesy111

s***'s getting real in this thread. As long as there are no outgoings, I don't have a problem

There already has been f***ing outgoings though, this squad is weaker than last seasons.

Nope

Right, and he would have made all the difference would he? We've got Ba, Cisse, and Shola as striker, plus Ben Arfa, Obertan, Vuckic, Campbell etc who can play either there or just off a striker.

Elsewhere we have more competition in midfield and fullback positions (Anita and the young'uns), and Good who is apparently a decent player to push the 4 senior CBs we have on the books (of which all four I'd say are perfectly capable players).

Well if Ba and Cisse both get injured yes.  Also both have looked pretty average so far this season and we have nothing on the bench to change it.

Ba's best form came when he played centrally, full stop. He played next to Shola vs Man Utd and did very well too.

Yes, where is Shola Ameobi now.  On the treatment bench as he usually is nowadays.

Our next backup to Ba and Cisse is a 17 year old academy kid.

Might as well lock this thread till January tbh.

:booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo:

:booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo: :booboo:

Amen brother

Nope

Ba's best form came when he played centrally, full stop. He played next to Shola vs Man Utd and did very well too.

Yes, where is Shola Ameobi now.  On the treatment bench as he usually is nowadays.

If one of Ba and Cisse is injured then it will be 4-3-3. If they are both fit 4-4-2. Some game time for Campbell sure but we are some way away from relying on him to start games and play a full 90 week in week out.

Guest neesy111

Nope

If one of Ba and Cisse is injured then it will be 4-3-3. If they are both fit 4-4-2. Some game time for Campbell sure but we are some way away from relying on him to start games and play a full 90 week in week out.

We could wreck Campbell if he's need to used more than what was planned this season.  Fact of the matter is we should have got a replacement for best, not getting one is a joke imo.

It's so clear from those comments how little say Pardew has in terms of transfers and how unbelievably grateful he is to Ashley for giving him the job.

I think the lack of balance in their relationship might not be a good thing for the club. Pardew has done incredibly well, but Ashley will always point to the fact that he is on top of things as he granted Pardew his way back into the Premiership.

Of course we need players, but Pardew has no "right" to demand such things. It's all on Ashley's terms.

It's fine for now, but a poor season and it'll have backfired on us.

Aye, but like Ian W said above; there are probably very few other managers around that would work with Ashley under these conditions. You could question Pardew's pride and morale, but as things stand, this way of running our club seems as if it's working to a suprisingly great extent.

I'm happy with it for now. I just hope it doesn't turn ugly when Ashley decides it's time to cash in for sure. We've gone three windows without selling any player who hasn't expressed a will to leave. Should be about time within the next year.

Doesn't this suggest that a window where we do 'cash in' is the exception?

We do need to replace Best and I think its obvious we were only looking for a RB when Simpson would not sign a new deal, but as soon as he said he would not leave we stopped looking.

Taylor being fit ended our interest in signing a CB, no idea why we still have not signing a proper left footed LB.

Its all fine and dandy saying we kept our top players and have a good team, we do but we still lack strength in depth, we are in an extra competition and most other clubs in the league are stronger than they were last season.

Its just so fucking frustrating.

Nope

We could wreck Campbell if he's need to used more than what was planned this season.  Fact of the matter is we should have got a replacement for best, not getting one is a joke imo.

Completely agree on Best. Seems odd that he was allowed to leave without another striker coming in, also I doubt he was too fussed about joining Blackburn. That being said without being a party to the decisions that are made behind closed doors the only real way to judge the merits of the boards/managers decisions is at the end of a season.