NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

I'd theoretically still welcome Carroll back with open arms if we could get him for a low fee and reasonable wages and he came to be a member of the squad without guarantees of first team football. He'd be perfect as a plan B and good foil for both Ba and Cisse. With Simpson and Williamson hopefully not featuring so much I can't see us resorting to long ball so much even when he's up there, and it would give us a whole different dimension from set pieces, something we've been ridiculously bad at since he left.

I agree, provided it is a low fee and on low wages and doesn't demand first team football. But i can't see that for various reasons tbh.

How many times did Carroll even play under Pardew? Can't see why he'd be remotely interested, both from a footballing point of view and a financial one.

If it's a loan it wouldn't be worth it in any respect; temporary stopgap for us whilst helping out one of our biggest rivals. If it's a purchase - Liverpool would try and re-coup as much as the fee as possible. It wouldn't be as ridiculous as £35m but it'd still be double-figures. Which we could pay for any striker on the continent who would be much better (eg, Cisse).

Total non-starter imo. Wouldn't want him back for any deal anyway, bridges burned as far as i'm concerned.

I'd theoretically still welcome Carroll back with open arms if we could get him for a low fee and reasonable wages and he came to be a member of the squad without guarantees of first team football. He'd be perfect as a plan B and good foil for both Ba and Cisse. With Simpson and Williamson hopefully not featuring so much I can't see us resorting to long ball so much even when he's up there, and it would give us a whole different dimension from set pieces, something we've been ridiculously bad at since he left.

I agree, provided it is a low fee and on low wages and doesn't demand first team football. But i can't see that for various reasons tbh.

Same here, hence why I said theoretically. Still, as he is a born and bred Geordie who may feel he had and subsequently lost everything he's ever dreamed of he may well be prepared to compromise. That's just his side of the matter though, can't see Lambiass, Pardew, Liverpool, etc all be willing to play along. Liverpool especially would look like right mugs if he came back here for a small portion of the original fee and started scoring and playing again like he did before they got him.

The only positive I can see from bringing Carroll back is screwing over Liverpool. We'd basically be back to as we were January '11, only having spent the profit on buying a whole new team. :yao:

its almost worth it for that alone and the possibility of him rapidly returning to form as soon as hes back

Same here, hence why I said theoretically. Still, as he is a born and bred Geordie who may feel he had and subsequently lost everything he's ever dreamed of he may well be prepared to compromise. That's just his side of the matter though, can't see Lambiass, Pardew, Liverpool, etc all be willing to play along. Liverpool especially would look like right mugs if he came back here for a small portion of the original fee and started scoring and playing again like he did before they got him.

Agree with this. If we go 'we can offer you x amount of wages, and we have HBA, Cisse and Ba so you'll have to earn a place like anyone else' then why not?

Not sure I'd want him as I'd have no idea how he's fit in to our 433 at all, but if they think they can do it and he's humble enough to accept responsibility for his actions then.... Still think it'd be great to see him become a good player at our club.

All this joy over Debuchy is great but we STILL IMO need a proper LB too, Santon got better and better last season but when/if Simpson leaves it still means we are a fullback short.

All this joy over Debuchy is great but we STILL IMO need a proper LB too, Santon got better and better last season but when/if Simpson leaves it still means we are a fullback short.

Santon will be that LB, no concerns. There's been plenty of quality right footed LB's in the past for bigger clubs than ourselves.

Santon will be that LB, no concerns. There's been plenty of quality right footed LB's in the past for bigger clubs than ourselves.

Aye and we still could really do with a left footed fullback, its crazy not to have one.

Not really. We've got reasonable cover in Perch and Raylor, and if worst comes to worse we have Ferguson and Tavernier who can come in. Ideally yes, but I'd say we've got more pressing concerns in centre back and forward positions.

Not really. We've got reasonable cover in Perch and Raylor, and if worst comes to worse we have Ferguson and Tavernier who can come in. Ideally yes, but I'd say we've got more pressing concerns in centre back and forward positions.

Agreed.

Can see a few of the young guns going out on loan, I would still be a lot happier if we had a proper left footed fullback

Is this argument really going to rear it's elephant-man-level-of-ugly head again? :lol:

More than content with our full back options if we get Debuchy in. That'll change if we start sending young'uns out on loan.

Aye and we still could really do with a left footed fullback, its crazy not to have one.

We already have one.

Aye if we had infinite amount of money for transfers and wages

Shane Ferguson is 21 now, made his first team debut 2 years ago and has shown a bit of promise every time I have seen him play. Thought he was one of our best players when he came on as sub in the game v Man City (against tired legs, admittedly). Got no problem at all with him as an understudy to Santon at left back - think this could be a big season for him and think he will be a good player. Would rather give him a chance than sign someone else tbh

Shane Ferguson is 21 now, made his first team debut 2 years ago and has shown a bit of promise every time I have seen him play. Thought he was one of our best players when he came on as sub in the game v Man City (against tired legs, admittedly). Got no problem at all with him as an understudy to Santon at left back - think this could be a big season for him and think he will be a good player. Would rather give him a chance than sign someone else tbh

Always liked the look of Shane, he may look like a 7st 12 year old which I think is why most see him as a winger but full backs don't need to be beasts and he has never shied away from a battle, at least not when I have seen him.