NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

Guest bimpy474

No way will we put £6m on the table for Douglas if he's out of contract in the summer. Try half that now.

Aye, cue Pardew " we'll go with what we have and i'd like to add, thank you to Mike and Derek for holding on to our injured players that the big teams have bid massive money for. God i want to vomit.

As we all know it'll end up predictably depressing come the end of Jan as it's what we've just come to expect thesedays. It could all be very different though......a couple of great signings, Cabaye and Taylor back from injury and the team ready to kick on. It'll be more like the same quotes as mentioned above and clinging on for dear life.

The only certainty about the coming window is that it will be disappointing.

In a decade of supporting football clubs home and abroad, I don't think I've ever walked away from a window thinking "alright, job done"

Errr, well, not the summer we got Cabaye and Ba. I would agree the other though.

There were still position that hadn't been filled but needed to be.

It happens with all clubs though really but I completely understand where Oldtype is coming from.

A lot of people were massively pissed off with the Cabaye and Ba window, including myself to a degree.

We didn't think Ba would be consistent/injury-free enough to be our main striker and were angry that Barton was sold for free late in the window and not replaced.

Guest neesy111

The only certainty about the coming window is that it will be disappointing.

In a decade of supporting football clubs home and abroad, I don't think I've ever walked away from a window thinking "alright, job done"

Errr, well, not the summer we got Cabaye and Ba. I would agree the other though.

There were still position that hadn't been filled but needed to be.

It happens with all clubs though really but I completely understand where Oldtype is coming from.

A lot of people were massively pissed off with the Cabaye and Ba window, including myself to a degree.

We didn't think Ba would be consistent/injury-free enough to be our main striker and were angry that Barton was sold for free late in the window and not replaced.

I think many were wanting a CB then as well.

Actually plenty people backed the transfer policy in the summer because signing players would have put the club at risk and it was worth waiting to try and get a pound off.

Not really. Some people, myself included, argued that whilst we didn't strengthen sufficiently, we also didn't lose any of our important players, so it wasn't all bad. In hindsight not getting in a centre back knowing how unrealiable Steven Taylor is, and hence having to rely on Williamson as much as we do has hurt us the most. Other than that I don't think you can attribute our poor season to the transfer window failures too much. Poor player form, Europe and injuries/suspensions have all contributed far more than our ultimate failure to bring in someone like Debuchy if you ask me.

No way will we put £6m on the table for Douglas if he's out of contract in the summer. Try half that now.

Aye, cue Pardew " we'll go with what we have and i'd like to add, thank you to Mike and Derek for holding on to our injured players that the big teams have bid massive money for. God i want to vomit.

We'd be silly to pay a big fee for someone who's out of contract anyway, wouldn't we?

Guest neesy111

Actually plenty people backed the transfer policy in the summer because signing players would have put the club at risk and it was worth waiting to try and get a pound off.

Yeap.  I remember getting a pillaring of a few people on here on deadline day for saying we went backwards because we didn't strengthen.  :hmm:

Guest neesy111

Did anyone say that? I remember people saying no outbounds made it a decent summer but can't remember people saying they were happy no one was signed.

No outbounds made it a decent summer. :jesuswept:

Did anyone say that? I remember people saying no outbounds made it a decent summer but can't remember people saying they were happy no one was signed.

No outbounds made it a decent summer. :jesuswept:

We should be thankful to slim Mike. It's this type of top ownership which means we're not in League 2.

Not really. Some people, myself included, argued that whilst we didn't strengthen sufficiently, we also didn't lose any of our important players, so it wasn't all bad. In hindsight not getting in a centre back knowing how unrealiable Steven Taylor is, and hence having to rely on Williamson as much as we do has hurt us the most. Other than that I don't think you can attribute our poor season to the transfer window failures too much. Poor player form, Europe and injuries/suspensions have all contributed far more than our ultimate failure to bring in someone like Debuchy if you ask me.

Chalking that up as 'hindsight'

:yao:

True, bad choice of words, as I felt (and said so at the time) that should have been our priority position long before getting in another defensive midfield player. There's no denying however not losing anybody crucial was massive, and we've had more than our fair share of injuries/suspensions, meaning we've not had a stable back five especially, which I think has been a massive factor in our disappointing season so far.

Hindsight ffs.

Striker, Central Midfield, Central Defence and Right Back. Then round it all up by bringing N'Zogbia home.

That's from June 2011 in a thread where the options at CB and RB were listed as:

Centre Back

Coloccini

Williamson

Steven Taylor

Perch

Kadar

Tavernier

Right Back

Simpson

Perch

Steven Taylor

Ryan Taylor

Gosling

Tavernier

So after about 18 months and 3 transfer windows we're in a worse state in those positions despite the fact every man and his dog could see we needed to strengthen there.

The two are inextricably linked, though. You prepare for Europe, and the possibilities/probabilities of injury/suspensions/loss of form by constructing a squad that has enough people to cope in each position. I.e. by strengthening in the window. Not having enough players to cope with Europe/injuries etc is a transfer window failure.

It's only really massively obvious when you look at CB though. Of course, you needed wide players (defence and attack) and a bit more guile, but when you're bringing Coloccini on in an absolute nothing European match, then you've fucked up somewhere along the line.