January transfer aperture ceases to exist!

Benwell Lad
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

has yesterday been a definite sign that clubs are having to wise up financially ?

Pretty much. SSN actually mentioned this. Could say that UEFA's Financial Fair Play Regulations have definitely been a factor in clubs such as Man U and Man City not really being active in this window.

QPR's signings reek of desperation and short termism but they will probably have enough to keep their head above water. Cissé will get bored and start being a cunt after a few months but he'll score them enough goals.

They'll make more wholesale changes in the summer I'd imagine. Just need to stay up first and foremost.

Guest neesy111

has yesterday been a definite sign that clubs are having to wise up financially ?

It'll go crazy again sometime soon, always does.

With so little business done this window expect quite a bit next summer for starters.

Clubs without a rich owner will find it near impossible to find a good source of credit.

Guest neesy111

QPR's signings reek of desperation and short termism but they will probably have enough to keep their head above water. Cissé will get bored and start being a cunt after a few months but he'll score them enough goals.

They'll make more wholesale changes in the summer I'd imagine. Just need to stay up first and foremost.

There wage bill is going to be massive.

Squad is bursting at the seams, Zamora got #52  :lol:

so anyway winners and losers of the window?

For me Everton the big winners of this window, where did they find the cash? Losers Spurs, a chance to give a statement of intent on the title and they sign Saha and Nelsen (is this confirmed btw?)

It'll go crazy again sometime soon, always does.

With so little business done this window expect quite a bit next summer for starters.

Clubs without a rich owner will find it near impossible to find a good source of credit.

Most Premiership clubs are owned by rich owners though, most won't have to search for credit.

Guest Dr_Delirium

Typical. Newcastle were halfway to a fantastic transfer window but in the end they failed the bring in what was most needed, a decent CB with quick feet. I think this gamble is going to cost us some points that could easily have been avoided. I don't see Colo or Williamson play all of the remaining matches, and Perch just isn't the answer. Why the risk? Why not even a player on loan?

Voted unhappy, although Papiss Cisse is probably a good signing. Too bad.

Voted 'Happy'.

The failure to bring in a CB was disappointing and may end up costing us a few points this season. However we've shelled out a fair amount for a prolific goal scorer who hopefully is going to be banging in goals for us for a number of years.

Assuming Cisse lives up to expectations then we've improved the first team considerably. I don't think you can expect a whole lot more from a January window tbh.

I suspect the club might not be paying a whole lot of attention to this year's league position.

There's very little real merit to finishing seventh if it doesn't get us into Europe anyway, and perhaps even UEFA football itself is seen as a hindrance by our regime.

They may just feel that they want to use our scouting network and efficient practices to slowly build towards a team that's actually good enough to challenge for something and aren't really fussed about where we finish in the meantime, thus the emphasis on long-term value and rejection of any sort of spending for short-term benefit. (Pardew's mention of "Tipping Point" seems to point towards this as well.)

Obviously there's the "finishing higher in the league gets you more prize money" argument, but there's no guarantee that a third choice defender would have secured us more points while it is guaranteed that even a loan would have probably cost us at least 1m in fee and wages until the end of the season, money that could be better invested for long term gain.

Personally I wish they weren't so extreme about it, but when you put everything together there does seem to be a coherent gameplan behind all this madness.

Shaking like a shitting dog with rage ffs :lol: No, but I thought that was a decent window. Voted happy. Cissé, who seem like a sensational signing in, and no one out is more than I expected. Which was zero activity.

The CB situation isn't ideal, but bar injuries we're fine. 1 injury and we're struggling, 2 and we're in deep shit. Unlikely though. Perch is a liability at CB due to hight and clumsiness. I don't believe in the "no hight and a CB equals a terrible CB who will die a slow death in this league, especially on a cold night at Stoke" rule per se, but Perch is no good in that role.

Against lesser opposition with ditto attacking threat, then he'll manage, however when put to the test under pressure against decent strikers, fuck knows how we're not gonna concede. Anyway, Williamson will do as long as Colo is playing like a boss every game and cleaning up the mess. He is the heartbeat of the team, and we're basically fucked with him long time injured.

So I guess "happy" is a bit extreme after all then.

Nah, worst case scenarios and that. Happy thoughts.  :)

Yeah right :yao:

I voted delighted.

Its mainly because there was no players out.

And we got a very good striker in.

I believe that it was no CB available who would strengthen our squad pr now.

Watford was asking to much for Mariappa(?), and we would not pay over the odds for him, which is fair play to us imo. I am sure we will have a CB lined up for summer.

Rome was not build in a day.

Happy days! 

It`s a shame that we did not get at CB. With splashing about 12MP on Mbwia and Cissokho I really think that we could have challange Chelsea for that 4 spot and CL.

Our paperthin squad will not be strong enough this year, but if we manage a 7 place we should be extremley happy with our team performance this season. So close but still so far away.

It says a lot that people are actually happy with this transferwindow because with did not sell anybody. Ashley have managed to give us so low expectations, that his bankaccount will be happy every transferwindow from now on.

Like all of you I am extremly happy with the buy of Cisse, well done lads ! We are used to the other stuff, that we do not buy where it is needed. Thats why I am not to disapointed, because it is Ash over and over again.

who the fck is unhappy?

Jesus, we signed a striker that we've been crying out for since Caroll left.

We needed a defender but when have we in recent times been held to ransom on a player.

It`s a shame that we did not get at CB. With splashing about 12MP on Mbwia and Cissokho I really think that we could have challange Chelsea for that 4 spot and CL.

Our paperthin squad will not be strong enough this year, but if we manage a 7 place we should be extremley happy with our team performance this season. So close but still so far away.

It says a lot that people are actually happy with this transferwindow because with did not sell anybody. Ashley have managed to give us so low expectations, that his bankaccount will be happy every transferwindow from now on.

Like all of you I am extremly happy with the buy of Cisse, well done lads ! We are used to the other stuff, that we do not buy where it is needed. Thats why I am not to disapointed, because it is Ash over and over again.

:lol: Yeah, cos every other team spend fucking huge amounts of money.

Spend 12M on Mbwia and Cissokho you say, how do you know that 12M would get them in? How do you know they was available for transfer without paying way to much? People assume that we just did not want to spend, but what if we checked up the players in question, but clubs would not sell. Or was asking to much compared to our valuation for them Its not as straight forward as you make it sound.

All of us wanted a new defender, no doubt. But we need to think long term.

Get a good finish this year(7th hopefully), then get good defender(s) in the summer for a better price. If we manage to keep our best players, who knows what happens next year.  :)

I think we will sign 2 centre backs in the summer. In addition to Coloccini's contract there are concerns about his lower back for me. Often the lower back will stop hurting but fixed itself in a way that causes groin and thigh injuries, initially minor, but eventually leading to more serious injuries as the weakness develops. coloccini is showing early signs of this injury which is known to keep footballers out for 6 months, the surgery scheduled for the summer to minimise impact on the team.

Getting one this month wasn't crucial though. We kept our players and signed the striker we wanted.

Guest Roger Kint

We somehow came out of this month better off, nobody gone and a big fee on a very good striker and over half of the poll are just 'content'? Fucking hell, bet most of those voters were pissing their pants the last 2 months at us selling Ba/Colo/Krul/Tiote etc this window as well  :idiot2: