Papiss Cissé

Guest kingdawson

Happy Cisse has left?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Happy Cisse has left?

• Yes
    • No

Guest icemanblue

Fucking brainwashing again, man. It's everywhere. If someone has a different opinion, they're brainwashed. Nothing to do with Cisse having had a poor season. No, this person has been brainwashed to accept the club's transfer strategy. :lol:

This was my only point this season:

Cisse was/has been rubbish all season. Like everyone you can blame Pardew/the team to an extent but he himself has had a shocker. Hasn't done his goalscoring and his build-up/hold-up play was poor. He's part of the problem but he can also be part of the answer.

It's not everyone else's fault he only scored 8 league goals. Two more than wor Cabaye who had an indifferent season himself.

People even try to blame referees for ruling his goals offside like that doesn't happen to every striker. Forgetting the S'hampton wonder goal was offside and another bounced off his arse without him looking- literally.

Can see both sides of the Cisse argument tbh.

Some don't want him sold because he's a quality striker. Damn right.

However, it's unbearable watching the team struggle to play to his strengths, which therefore negates his quality.

Ultimately, Cisse is being wasted due to our overall play. It would be much easier having someone more dynamic upfront. Ba was a more dynamic striker for example, and was able to make far more of our limited play.

Cisse struggled but the team isn't exactly set up to play to his strengths. He's not a target man ffs but Pardew has him isolated so badly that he ends up having to play like one. I don't remember many games where he was running onto decent whipped in crosses to either head or hit first time along the floor.

When your play is set up so as not to lose I can't ever see someone like Cisse being used to their maximum potential.

One thing I'm actually quite optimistic about is that Ashley must surely have asked Pardew what the hell happened to the form of his marquee striker signing - the only one he's spent decent money on. Pardew can obviously point to the chances he missed, but the fact is that we need to play differently to last season if we're to get the best form out of Cisse. Just like most of our players.

Cisse struggled but the team isn't exactly set up to play to his strengths. He's not a target man ffs but Pardew has him isolated so badly that he ends up having to play like one. I don't remember many games where he was running onto decent whipped in crosses to either head or hit first time along the floor.

When your play is set up so as not to lose I can't ever see someone like Cisse being used to their maximum potential.

What are these strengths? How does he help the team play that style?

What are these strengths? How does he help the team play that style?

Sure he missed a lot of chances this season and was poor by his standards but as far as I could tell he played a lot of the time with his back to goal as a target man which isn't his strength. We don't have many players who get behind a defence or beat a full back to put crosses in. And Pardew doesn't set us up offensively so our general play is negative and we don't create a lot of chances as a result. Cisse's strength is thriving on crosses and hitting them first time. He scored a fair few goals like that in is first season here and as a result his all round play was more confident.

That's just how I see it. To be honest this season has completely sucked the life out of me so in reality if its more of the same next season ill probably save my pennies rather than go to the match.

To be fair CD, Cisse does have certain strengths compared to other strikers, even very good ones. For example, I rate his ability for instinctive finishes, where he doesn’t have much time for decision making, very highly. Also, he’s not exactly afraid to try a speculative effort from long range, and is surprisingly good at hitting them well. That said, I don’t know how the players around him can change their game to provide this type of chance more often than not, other than getting the ball to him quickly from the wings, which admittedly we aren’t doing anywhere near enough. For me, the problem is not a lack of service, as I don’t think he gets fewer chances than other Premiership strikers, it’s a problem of lack of confidence and composure. The first can be remedied, although not easily, I’m not sure if the second can. Either way, for me neither of these major reservations I have with him are primarily a result of other players or Pardew/tactics letting him down more than Cisse just not being that kind of striker.

I agree fully with what you're saying. That's kind of my point. An in-form Cisse doesn't need a particular style of play, just get it to him in and around the box and he'll do the rest.  The back-to-goal thing, if you're upfront by yourself you'll probably spend a good piece of time doing that if the team is under the cosh.

I would say first time shots from crosses and we do kinda try to get ti in the box although not with the most guile. And through balls but a lot of teams in the division defend rather deep. But overall, most of his issues are down to his own poor performance/limitations.

Pardew is a poor manager imo. I can't see him gee'ing up Cisse or whoever the way SBR had Bellamy feeling 6'4. But each player with a good amount of ability and experience should look at themselves primarily after last season's horror.