Papiss Cissé

Guest kingdawson

Happy Cisse has left?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Happy Cisse has left?

• Yes
    • No

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/10786770.Remy_backs_miss_firing_Cisse_to_regain_goalscoring_touch/

Remy backs miss-firing Cisse to regain goalscoring touch

7:00am Wednesday 6th November 2013 in Sport Photograph of the Author By Steph Clark, Sports Reporter

NEWCASTLE UNITED’S man-of-the-moment Loic Remy is confident fellow striker Papiss Cisse can overcome his current goal drought having gone through similar spells during his own career.

Cisse has gone 1350 minutes without scoring in the Premier League and has subsequently lost his place in Alan Pardew’s starting line-up.

The Senegal striker has looked a shadow of the player that scored 13 goals in 14 games following his £9m move from Freiburg almost two years ago, and has struggled to find a break in his current run of 15 league games without a goal.

In stark contrast, Remy has been enjoying similar form to what Cisse produced when he first arrived with his goal in Newcastle’s 2-0 win over Chelsea making it six in seven appearances since joining on loan from Queens Park Rangers in the summer.

It was hoped Cisse’s goal in the Magpies Capital One Cup win over Leeds United in September would be the catalyst to get him back on track, but the 27-year-old is still out of sorts and hasn’t looked like scoring when he was been brought on the bench.

Remy sympathises with his team-mate, though, and as a fellow striker admits he knows exactly how Cisse is feeling.

“I think Papiss is a very good player,” Remy said. “He showed a lot of things when he arrived and he scored a lot of good goals and a lot of important goals, but without the struggle there is no success.

“Sometimes when I was at Marseille I was the same. I went a long time without scoring and it is frustrating for a forward to go through those patches, but I think he just needs one goal to start again and find his confidence.”

Whether Cisse will be given a chance to get that elusive goal against Tottenham on Sunday remains to be seen, but Remy has backed the Dakar-born striker to return to form sooner rather than later.

He said: “It’s difficult when you are not scoring because you can maybe try too hard, but I know how he feels because I have been in that situation before.

“I’m not worried about Papiss, I think he just needs one goal and he will find his confidence again. He needs to get it as soon as possible for the team, but also for himself and then we will see the real Papiss again.”

With Yoan Gouffran bagging the opening goal against Chelsea, Pardew is unlikely to drop the former Bordeaux man at the weekend, but he will have a decision to make over his third attacking player.

Pardew has largely chosen to play three up front this season with Hatem Ben Arfa, Shola Ameobi and Cisse all taking turns to play alongside Remy and Gouffran. While Ameobi has only recently come back from injury the other two have struggled for form, and it will be interesting to see who he gives the chance to impress at White Hart Lane.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/10786770.Remy_backs_miss_firing_Cisse_to_regain_goalscoring_touch/

Remy backs miss-firing Cisse to regain goalscoring touch

7:00am Wednesday 6th November 2013 in Sport Photograph of the Author By Steph Clark, Sports Reporter

NEWCASTLE UNITED’S man-of-the-moment Loic Remy is confident fellow striker Papiss Cisse can overcome his current goal drought having gone through similar spells during his own career.

Cisse has gone 1350 minutes without scoring in the Premier League and has subsequently lost his place in Alan Pardew’s starting line-up.

The Senegal striker has looked a shadow of the player that scored 13 goals in 14 games following his £9m move from Freiburg almost two years ago, and has struggled to find a break in his current run of 15 league games without a goal.

In stark contrast, Remy has been enjoying similar form to what Cisse produced when he first arrived with his goal in Newcastle’s 2-0 win over Chelsea making it six in seven appearances since joining on loan from Queens Park Rangers in the summer.

It was hoped Cisse’s goal in the Magpies Capital One Cup win over Leeds United in September would be the catalyst to get him back on track, but the 27-year-old is still out of sorts and hasn’t looked like scoring when he was been brought on the bench.

Remy sympathises with his team-mate, though, and as a fellow striker admits he knows exactly how Cisse is feeling.

“I think Papiss is a very good player,” Remy said. “He showed a lot of things when he arrived and he scored a lot of good goals and a lot of important goals, but without the struggle there is no success.

“Sometimes when I was at Marseille I was the same. I went a long time without scoring and it is frustrating for a forward to go through those patches, but I think he just needs one goal to start again and find his confidence.”

Whether Cisse will be given a chance to get that elusive goal against Tottenham on Sunday remains to be seen, but Remy has backed the Dakar-born striker to return to form sooner rather than later.

He said: “It’s difficult when you are not scoring because you can maybe try too hard, but I know how he feels because I have been in that situation before.

“I’m not worried about Papiss, I think he just needs one goal and he will find his confidence again. He needs to get it as soon as possible for the team, but also for himself and then we will see the real Papiss again.”

With Yoan Gouffran bagging the opening goal against Chelsea, Pardew is unlikely to drop the former Bordeaux man at the weekend, but he will have a decision to make over his third attacking player.

Pardew has largely chosen to play three up front this season with Hatem Ben Arfa, Shola Ameobi and Cisse all taking turns to play alongside Remy and Gouffran. While Ameobi has only recently come back from injury the other two have struggled for form, and it will be interesting to see who he gives the chance to impress at White Hart Lane.

The reporter couldn't even get Cisse's age right - it was stated as 27 in the article when in fact, Cisse was born on 3 June 1985, which makes him 29 next birthday.

Not much time left to become a consistent goal-scorer in the PL...and his value will start falling quickly after his 29th birthday, esp if he doesn't start scoring regularly soon.

I'd probably let him go if we received an offer that was anything like what we paid for him. Obviously, it would be better if we kept him and just signed another centre-forward, but I've got little faith in us doing so unless it's one-in-one-out, especially if we're clear of the relegation pack.

Guest icemanblue

I think the only players who should ever be at 'write-off' stage, are those who have never shown anything in the first place (Obertan). We've seen that players can turn it round, perhaps more so than fans of other clubs. Just look at Tiote.

I think the only players who should ever be at 'write-off' stage, are those who have never shown anything in the first place (Obertan). We've seen that players can turn it round, perhaps more so than fans of other clubs. Just look at Tiote.

Tiote's attitude has often been misguided but it's always been a winning one, and he's generally shown a willingness to do well for the team and for himself. Regardless of the fact he's had some terrible performances.

Cisse looks unhappy and like he doesn't give a shit, so that's the difference between those two imo. Not that Tiote has 're-proven' himself yet; it's only been a handful of games, though the sudden incline in his performances is encouraging.

I would probably write Cisse off as ever becoming/returning to a 15-goal-a-season striker for Newcastle. If people want to blame Pardew then all the more reason to sell him and sign a different striker who's more likely to work with the manager, cos he'll probably out-last every current member of the squad - whether we like it or not.

i still believe in him - if his only problem is related to lack of confidence by not scoring

The whole 'he just needs a goal' excuse has worn incredibly thin imo. He's even had the cliched 'one off his arse' go his way (WBA last year), but still couldn't gather any consistency.

Shola should only be used as sub - come in an create chaos in the box when chasing a result. Arfa needs to play on the left and remy right.

Cisse

Remy        Arfa

That should be our starting line up until january = if cisse cant perform/score goals in that set up then look for a new striker and sell cisse if the right offer is there and a quality replacement is available!

i still believe in him - if his only problem is related to lack of confidence by not scoring

The whole 'he just needs a goal' excuse has worn incredibly thin imo. He's even had the cliched 'one off his arse' go his way (WBA last year), but still couldn't gather any consistency.

I don't think 'any goal' really ever helps a striker, you need one that feels good to score... a sweet connection, a nice bit of play, to remind you what you can do.

Tiote's attitude has often been misguided but it's always been a winning one, and he's generally shown a willingness to do well for the team and for himself. Regardless of the fact he's had some terrible performances.

Cisse looks unhappy and like he doesn't give a s***, so that's the difference between those two imo. Not that Tiote has 're-proven' himself yet; it's only been a handful of games, though the sudden incline in his performances is encouraging.

I would probably write Cisse off as ever becoming/returning to a 15-goal-a-season striker for Newcastle. If people want to blame Pardew then all the more reason to sell him and sign a different striker who's more likely to work with the manager, cos he'll probably out-last every current member of the squad - whether we like it or not.

Agree - can't really fault Tiote on effort (maybe on recklessness) but Cisse just looks disinterested which is criminal imo.

I don't think 'any goal' really ever helps a striker, you need one that feels good to score... a sweet connection, a nice bit of play, to remind you what you can do.

Like the one against Southampton?

Couldn't agree more. Cisse is a shadow of the player he was when he arrived, but you can still see he has the same instincts which saw him banging them in back then. No point in arguing about it when he's not delivering, but I still expect him to score goals regularly again at some point, whether it's here or somewhere else.

Couldn't agree more. Cisse is a shadow of the player he was when he arrived, but you can still see he has the same instincts which saw him banging them in back then. No point in arguing about it when he's not delivering, but I still expect him to score goals regularly again at some point, whether it's here or somewhere else.

agree

Shola should only be used as sub - come in an create chaos in the box when chasing a result. Arfa needs to play on the left and remy right.

Cisse

Remy        Arfa

That should be our starting line up until january = if cisse cant perform/score goals in that set up then look for a new striker and sell cisse if the right offer is there and a quality replacement is available!

Gouffran?

Cisse

Remy        Arfa

Gouffran?

Actually I forgot him, realized it and decided not to change it - even though  I come to like him and rate him for what he offers both ways. His workrate and his ability to score goals. If he had to play I would prefer him on LW. Ideally I would keep my formation and have gouffran on the bench - even though he deserves to start atm.

Cisse

Remy        Arfa

Gouffran?

Actually I forgot him, realized it and decided not to change it - even though  I come to like him and rate him for what he offers both ways. His workrate and his ability to score goals. If he had to play I would prefer him on LW. Ideally I would keep my formation and have gouffran on the bench - even though he deserves to start atm.

He fully deserves to be in the side, preferably central of the front three, much more so than Cisse anyway.