Fulham 5 - 2 Newcastle United - 21/01/12 - Post-disaster reaction from page 60

Dave

Inevitably Shola is being singled out, but we didn't get much from either striker all game, and virtually nothing in the second half. It's been said numerous times, but we need at least one striker with better pace and movement up there. It was a major factor in our failure to hold on to the ball in the second half.

I don't know why people are complaining about the first pen. Santon knocked into Johnson and you can't expect an opponent to stay manfully on his feet in that situation. The problem was he let Johnson get the wrong side of him.

It was outside the box :lol:

Aye.

Didn't realise that, but it must have been close.

The main point still stands - that Santon's poor positioning had put himself and his team in trouble.

Guest neesy111

Inevitably Shola is being singled out, but we didn't get much from either striker all game, and virtually nothing in the second half. It's been said numerous times, but we need at least one striker with better pace and movement up there. It was a major factor in our failure to hold on to the ball in the second half.

I don't know why people are complaining about the first pen. Santon knocked into Johnson and you can't expect an opponent to stay manfully on his feet in that situation. The problem was he let Johnson get the wrong side of him.

It was outside the box :lol:

Aye.

You'd think it was miles outside based on this thread though. It wasn't. If it had been given a freekick on the line then we'd have been VERY lucky. In real time it looked like a penalty.

No it didn't.

Guest neesy111

At thr train awful at fulham.

At least krul didnt get sent off

First half we were class

Its just 3 points like when we beat then 2-1

Johnson dived into Krul, though he should have expected it as he is a diving twat.

The 2 penalty decisions were p**s poor. Shocking referee. I must admit that Santon could have been sent off, but the pens were abysmal.

The brass tacks of it is, it's just a defeat; Stoke lost too and we're still five points clear of 8th. But the reality is really concerning. The way we utterly capitulated has left me feeling extremely worried. Have to wonder just what the hell went on in the HT dressing room.

I'd be worried if it happened every week, just the once isn't overly concerning for now imo

I know, i know. I think you're right.

First half very good.

Second half, not so much! Embarrassing!

I have to say it, but it was a tactical collapse by Pardew in 2nd half.

Reminded me about the backline against Chelsea! Way to high.

Seriously guys.

Ameobi - Best v Ba - Cisse  :drool:

Dont let this match ruin our confidence, it was a bump in the road. Every team have it from time to time.

As gutted as i am about this afternoon, i'm desperately clinging onto this sort of mentality. We've made improvements since the horror shows of WBA (h) and Norwich (a), climaxing in that wonderful performance against Man Utd. We've made a quality reinforcement to the squad and even today, before a catastrophic change in mindset, we looked like a bloody good football team.

I can't deny that some serious questions need to be asked, but i can't help but think that today was just a one-off. The fact that i'm sat here just scratching my head, rather than burying it into a pillow, suggests it might be. That sort of game hasn't happen to us for years so you could say we were overdue that sort of thrashing. As you say, they come around now and again.

It's a very simplistic way of looking at things, i know, and you can say it's burying your head in the sand. But it's the FA Cup next, then home to Villa - two very winnable ties. We've got a week to put it behind us and, tbh, i'm confident of winning the next league game.

Let this just be a lesson to the team.

At thr train awful at fulham.

At least krul didnt get sent off

First half we were class

Its just 3 points like when we beat then 2-1

Johnson dived into Krul, though he should have expected it as he is a diving twat.

The thing is Krul _clearly_ took the ball first, there was absolutely nothing in that one unless it was being given for the barge that Johnson shrugged off.

Guest Dontooner

Fulham changed it around and we couldn't cope.

More to do with Jol being smart enough to highlight and exploit our weaknesses than ineptitude on Pardew's part - there just wasn't that much he could conceivably do - we lacked protection in midfield (which he attempted to improve by bringing Perch on albeit too late), the centre-halves were beaten for pace and movement, particularly Williamson, and Santon was a liability off the ball. There wasn't one solution out there that could respond to Fulham's changes. Saying that I would've liked us to try and change our attacking impetus at some point - Shola was truly awful, Best was out of the game and Ben Arfa was marginal albeit something of a bright spark. Problems in the rest of the team can stem from an inefficient front line.

Always thought it would be a tough match, contrary to some who thought we'd walk it - but not quite that bad.

Nonsense, if tactically you cant change the outcome whats the point of the Manager. Just as you said when Jol changed his team, we should have asked our team to play a lower line with the midfield closer to the back four (crowd our half, no space to counter) . They took advantage of the gap between of slow CBs and midfield which were still too high up . Mind you Pardew did not notice it even until the end of the game. It wasnt even changing who was in the team Perch for example, it was where the team should have been tighter when they are under pressure.

I'm confident today was just a one-off mind, especially once we get Cisse and Ba back. Today can't really be explained logically, but at least we have 11 days until the next league match. 20 minutes of madness cost us, but there were still positives in that match.

also the first half im not sure if it was us playing well or it was fulham was being completely shit.

because the amount of percession we had we created fuck all apart from a wonder goal.

Not true.