Fulham 5 - 2 Newcastle United - 21/01/12 - Post-disaster reaction from page 60

Dave

How the f*** did we lies that never mind concede 4 goals in little over 15 mins or 5 in the second half.

We should have been out of sight by ht.

What I will say is that if we play a high line against teams that play on the counter attack with speed to burn then we will concede easy goals in games where we appear to be on top.

I'm not sure who exactly I'm p*ssed off with for today but I'm completely convinced that after 45 mins that there is no way we could concede 5 goals.

we never took advantage of the possession we had with the ball.  we should have pressured much more and created a s*** load more chances,

we had the game controlled which should have given us the ascendancy to put fulham to the sword but we did not take it.

yeh sure we played well and passed it and scored a wonder goal,  but should have done much more in the first half becuase fulham was fucking horribley shyte!

Guest neesy111

It's an injustice because penalty/freekick/whatever, it's incredibly soft. Slightest of nudges from Santon.

This.  It wasn't a foul in the 1st place.

Guest bimpy474

It falls under the advantage rule. The free kick should be given where the foul last occurs, not where it starts.

No it doesn't because the ref never indicated and gave any advantage, it was a foul and the officials got it wrong, no point in trying to say otherwise, the debate is whether they could tell where the foul took place, at the speed and views they had.

Guest bluegeordie

can we give credit to the tactical genius of martin jol?

I know you're probably being facetious, but I'll respond anyway and say "no need imo".

To start with, Jol's choice of replacement for the injured Sidwell showed little appreciation of what was going wrong for them in the first half. His next change was more or less enforced, as Zamora was so shockingly poor in the first half that Jol simply had to do something to bring him into the game, and calling on Johnson was the "no brainer" option.

In the second half, a lucky penalty to them, a Hollywood attitude on our part, an array of individual errors and shit performances from our players, and finally a complete and worrying inability on our part to adjust tactically to the way the game was unfolding played completely into Fulham's hands.

In sum then, Jol belatedly showed some commonsense, and we proceeded to make that look like genius! And fuck, wasn't it painful and infuriating to watch!?  :rant:   

can we give credit to the tactical genius of martin jol?

I know you're probably being facetious, but I'll respond anyway and say "no need imo".

To start with, Jol's choice of replacement for the injured Sidwell showed little appreciation of what was going wrong for them in the first half. His next change was more or less enforced, as Zamora was so shockingly poor in the first half that Jol simply had to do something to bring him into the game, and calling on Johnson was the "no brainer" option.

In the second half, a lucky penalty to them, a Hollywood attitude on our part, an array of individual errors and s*** performances from our players, and finally a complete and worrying inability on our part to adjust tactically to the way the game was unfolding played completely into Fulham's hands.

In sum then, Jol belatedly showed some commonsense, and we proceeded to make that look like genius! And f***, wasn't it painful and infuriating to watch!?  :rant: 

you're right i was being facetious lol

and i agree with you.  we were fucking rank

Guest bimpy474

Ref had no chance with that decision in realtime as regards to the line, except perhaps indecision. Duff went down cheaply then acted like he would be the victim of a huge injustice if he didn't get it.

But the linesbird did, her job is to see across and she failed in that, it is fine margins but they are paid very very well and these decisions should be made correctly, be it with the 4th officials help or not.

Ref had no chance with that decision in realtime as regards to the line, except perhaps indecision. Duff went down cheaply then acted like he would be the victim of a huge injustice if he didn't get it.

But the linesbird did, her job is to see across and she failed in that, it is fine margins but they are paid very very well and these decisions should be made correctly, be it with the 4th officials help or not.

It wasn't the lass at that end IIRC. ;)

given that i wonder how she viewed it as a foul, looks soft from the best of angles, let alone hers which would have been the worst to view it as a foul.

Guest bimpy474

It wasn't the lass at that end IIRC. ;)

Thanks Dave, my apologises the linesbaldy that side.

Guest bimpy474

given that i wonder how she viewed it as a foul, looks soft from the best of angles, let alone hers which would have been the worst to view it as a foul.

The view was bad for him (see Dave's post ;)) to give it as a foul but not as to where it took place.

Not sure how to sum that up, bizarre afternoon.

Obviously we should have murdered them by half time. If we'd had Ba and Cisse playing we'd probably have hit them for about 6. At times Shola and Best look unbelievably poor.

Only saw the penalties in real time but they looked soft.

On the down side, our tactics in the second half. Obviously we were shell shocked by the goals, but chipping aimless balls towards Shola and Best is never going to result in goals. It's just pointless.

Also, the issue of width. You could see the Fulham players telling eachother to play narrow and pack the middle of the pitch because all we could do was play through the centre. We had two wingers and one fullback plying on their wrong foot, making us much easier to contain. Surprised Pards didn't switch HBA to the left and bring Obertan on.

Overall I though a draw or a narrow win to us would have reflected the play. May never go to Fulham again, it's always, always shit.

On my way back from the game. At half time I thought we were going to cruise it - I haven't seen us in such control of a game all season, they couldn't get near the ball. Not changing the tactics when jol brought Johnson on was a massive mistake though. If we had dropped deeper and played on the break I'm pretty sure we would have got a result. Just because this high pressing game worked against man u pardew seems to think it will work for everyone

why the collapse ? it needs a bloody good looking at. we dominate for 50mins then concede an iffy penalty then decide to stop doing everything we'd done well. " ooh dear, we've conceded an equaliser, the best way to respond is by punting 40yd passes vaguely in the direction of two forwards who can't hold it basically just giving the ball back to the opposition who well just look shocked at....good plan"

this follows on from norwich where we more than held our own then collapsed after conceding.

Not strictly true, this was before they'd even had the ball in the second half:

Twice in the opening of the half we've just launched it up and under ??? why?

What on earth was said at half-time that made the players think launching it into the air against Hangeland and Senderos was a good game-plan compared to the first time? :dowie: can only assume that they decided to 'target' Senderos for his woeful first half performance, but he stepped it up a bit and had Baird to shield him from anything on the floor :undecided:

Guest Heneage

I think having read that Fulham forum makes the defeat an iota worse. They got exactly what they wanted despite being shit.

Not sure how to sum that up, bizarre afternoon.

Obviously we should have murdered them by half time. If we'd had Ba and Cisse playing we'd probably have hit them for about 6. At times Shola and Best look unbelievably poor.

Only saw the penalties in real time but they looked soft.

On the down side, our tactics in the second half. Obviously we were shell shocked by the goals, but chipping aimless balls towards Shola and Best is never going to result in goals. It's just pointless.

Also, the issue of width. You could see the Fulham players telling eachother to play narrow and pack the middle of the pitch because all we could do was play through the centre. We had two wingers and one fullback plying on their wrong foot, making us much easier to contain. Surprised Pards didn't switch HBA to the left and bring Obertan on.

Overall I though a draw or a narrow win to us would have reflected the play. May never go to Fulham again, it's always, always s***.

hangeland was a monster ,  had ameobi in his pocket all day long.