sunderland

JH

I don't think he deviates well from that style tbh. It's been successful mostly, and it's usually tough to break down, but I think he's quite limited in terms of mixing things up. For example I could imagine him struggling to work round a team that came and parked the bus or tried to do what his teams do.

http://images.clicklancashire.com/admin/article/articleimages/1265970285-Sam%20Allardyce%20(laughing).jpg

http://46.137.253.213/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/s_54_pulls.jpg

Brummie has already said many times that Villa fans were complaining when they finished 7th and that he's partly responsible for where they are now.

Just like when we were complaining at Bobby, well the majority were. When looking back he was actually still doing a job.

Easy to blame the manager in charge when expectation is rising then when it all goes wrong blame the chairman for letting him leave or blame the manager for leaving a bunch of crap behind.

Completely different. Bobby's time was coming to a close, but it was not backing him fully and then giving f***ing Souness £50m to compensate for his s*** managerial capabilities that coloured our hindsight.

Booby's time was coming to a close because the fans were moaning and groaning about poor performacnes and not finishing top 4. No denying that the newcastle fans were a big reason to why he was sacked. I for one still feel guilty to this day for not realising what we had.

As for Pulis and Big  Sam, they've achieved nowhere near as much as what MON has in all fairness and they are a shocking comparison.

People will always disregard his achievements with Celtic becuase it's the Scottish league.

But there is no denying what a great job he did with Leicester. Then even to finish 6th 3 times in a row with villa is a far cry away from what they are achieving now. Not sure what people expect him to do with Leicester, Villa and Celtic to give him more credit.

As for Pulis and Big  Sam, they've achieved nowhere near as much as what MON has in all fairness and they are a shocking comparison.

People will always disregard his achievements with Celtic becuase it's the Scottish league.

But there is no denying what a great job he did with Leicester. Then even to finish 6th 3 times in a row with villa is a far cry away from what they are achieving now. Not sure what people expect him to do with Leicester, Villa and Celtic to give him more credit.

I was being fairly tongue in cheek with that mate though Allardyce's highest Premier League placing is the same as O'Neils at arguably a less fashionable club with less money. I used the Allardyce example purely because the language being used to describe O'Neil in this thread is exactly the same as would have been used to describe Allardyce circa 2004. I do think that it is a valid point that he is reluctant to change and quite outdated in his approach, I think that there has been an influx of younger managers who are likely to take the jobs O'Neil would have been considered for.

I think he has achieved a significant amount as a manager particularly at smaller clubs and the Celtic UEFA cup final is worthy of merit and he ought to be distinguished from bad managers. That being said I really can't see him getting a job at a club better than Villa, he will have never managed a top-level side and I think after he leaves Sunderland he is likely to be slipping further down the ladder. 

Every single MoN side is the same:

- Rigid formation

- Effective/Efficient

- Big man up top (Heskey, Sutton, Bentner, Carew etc)

- Scrapper in the middle (Lennon, Cattermole etc)

- Decent wingers (Milner, Young, Downing, Guppy, McClean etc)

- British core

He's got a very good ability to motivate/get the best out of average players but there's nothing more to the guy than that.

He's stumbled across a system which broadly works and he'll always achieve reasonable results and that will be it.

I'd never want him at NUFC and I'd not be keen to pay good money to watch his sides.

http://images.football.co.uk/300x300/8e1a5c3cf80e55b1f7c9c43e0ac7e302.jpg

I had no Idea Matt le tissier and Bruce Springsteen were even seeing each other , let alone having kids.

- Rigid formation

- Effective/Efficient

- British core

He's got a very good ability to motivate/get the best out of average players but there's nothing more to the guy than that.

He's stumbled across a system which broadly works and he'll always achieve reasonable results and that will be it.

I'd never want him at NUFC and I'd not be keen to pay good money to watch his sides.

I hate Martin O'Neill TBH, and this stems from well before he had anything to do with the mackems. If we appointed him I would weep openly.

- Rigid formation

- Effective/Efficient

- British core

I hate Martin O'Neill TBH, and this stems from well before he had anything to do with the mackems. If we appointed him I would weep openly.

Totally agree, I hate the bastard and have a very long time. He's an annoying little jumpy cunt but there's no arguing he knows how to set a team up.

I'd rather chop my own cock off than see him in our dugout though.

I suppose everyone has their own style of managers that they like, and different personalities in the game. I liked his era at Celtic  and just always thought he was a good manager who knew how to get the best out of his team.

Was gutted when he went to the mackems as he just feel he's far too good for them. Hopefully this will be the first club he massively fails at and see's him relegated for the first time.

I do not rate him, but his results are not that bad compared to a lot of other British managers imo. 

This is the kicker for me.

The whole managerial merry-go-round is just so fucked up compared to any other employment. Managers repeatedly fail, are fired, paid off... and then in a new job before the end of the month. This is a system where Alex McLeish can relegate a team, and then immediately take over at their local rivals.

In this world, Martin O'Neill is one of the better bets as far as managerial appointments go... and he's ridiculously flawed.

:thup:

Agree, its a exclusive club, once you are in you are basically set for life.

I can just imagine that there are way better managers down in the divisions and other leagues that never get the chance based on "experience".

I think a lot of chairmen are afraid to do a appointment.

Better appoint a known name, so i have by back cleared if the shit hits the fan mentality.

Guest BooBoo

I think the only single player that Sunderland have bought that has made me think "bastards, wish we'd got him" was Darren Bent. Says it all.

If O'Neill really thinks paying £14million for Fletcher (which is realistically double his true value) is sensible, then he's a bigger crackpot than I first thought.

I think O'Neill does a great job of convincing his chairman to go and pay for who he wants, it's just a shame for him that other clubs think "Haha, it's that fucking Irish tit" and steal as much of his transfer pot as they can for whichever mediocre clogger it is he's after.