sunderland

JH

To be honest, a good draw for them tomorrow and they're looking at a quarter final. There's many gash teams still in, all it takes is a couple of all Premiership ties in the next round and there'll be lots of shit still in the draw

aye- if I were a mackem I wouldnt even wait. id book my travel and hotel for the final, and the trips to europe.

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=732303

Sorry if a Giggszilla but worth following through the thread for thread starter Rowell's frankly awful attitude to his fellow fans. The bloke sees himself as a salt of the earth hoolie who probably works as a labourer and  detests anyone remotely academic as a "soft s****". There's little more dismal than a clearly past it knobhead deriding the youth of the day as being unable to hold a torch to his generation. Times change, attitudes change. Deal with it. Oh and he despairs of the "anti racist" attitude that the posh university ( Sunderland University has ruined the city according to his views) kids of today preach. It's changed the match going experience for the worse apparently.

Nice find, liked this summary:

This thread summarised.

TLR: I think Martin O'Neill is doing a good job and criticism of him at this early stage of the season is unwarranted.

Almost everyone: We agree with you TLR.

One person: *small sarky remark*

TLR: AAARGH I HATE YOU ALL YOU PC UNI BASTARDS WHY CAN'T WE ALL BE HOOLIGANS AND CHANT POLITICALLY INCORRECT SLOGANS LIKE THE GOOD OLD DAYS?

Read more: http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=732303&page=5#ixzz27WHnwh6O

No sugar coating from Martin O'Neill, who described Lee Cattermole's sending off as "senseless" and "reckless".

O'Neill: "He needs to instil some discipline in his game. It's poor because he's the captain of the side."

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=732303

Sorry if a Giggszilla but worth following through the thread for thread starter Rowell's frankly awful attitude to his fellow fans. The bloke sees himself as a salt of the earth hoolie who probably works as a labourer and  detests anyone remotely academic as a "soft s****". There's little more dismal than a clearly past it knobhead deriding the youth of the day as being unable to hold a torch to his generation. Times change, attitudes change. Deal with it. Oh and he despairs of the "anti racist" attitude that the posh university ( Sunderland University has ruined the city according to his views) kids of today preach. It's changed the match going experience for the worse apparently.

Nice find, liked this summary:

This thread summarised.

TLR: I think Martin O'Neill is doing a good job and criticism of him at this early stage of the season is unwarranted.

Almost everyone: We agree with you TLR.

One person: *small sarky remark*

TLR: AAARGH I HATE YOU ALL YOU PC UNI BASTARDS WHY CAN'T WE ALL BE HOOLIGANS AND CHANT POLITICALLY INCORRECT SLOGANS LIKE THE GOOD OLD DAYS?

Read more: http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=732303&page=5#ixzz27WHnwh6O

I didn't know Pol Pot was a Sunderland fan like.

That lord Rowell is a cunt like.

also...

Lennon was outstanding and he ran the game in both matches, if O'Neill gets the type of player he wants (and he's already started with Johnson and Fletcher) I'm certain we'll be challenging for trophies on a regular basis, probably not the league title but we'll be there or thereabouts in the cups.

...he's pretty stupid too.

While I don't rate Cattermole as a footballer in any way whatsoever, he does have the ability to stop teams playing when he's having a good day, and there's always the possibility he'll maim one of our star players. The real bonus if he's out is that they'll have to move someone like Colback or Gardner into the middle alongside Larrson. They won't be able to cope with the intensity of Tiote and Cabaye and it'll have a knock on effect on their defence as they'll have to replace which ever midfielder moves from full back.

always love the F365 weekly stat check:

* Sunderland's four goals this season have come from just six shots on target.

* Sunderland have recorded an average 34.3% possession this season - lower than Stoke.

* Sunderland have not won a Premier League game since March 24. 12 games ago.

* Sunderland have recorded an average 34.3% possession this season - lower than Stoke.

The first 2 stats sound impressive in a way. However it's not that they've just happened to be poor in different games but had the resolve to get something - the issue is O'Neill actively encourages that brand of football and there's only so many times they can nick points. They'll have to start playing a lot better if they want to do anything this year.

Are they European Shit League Top Dogs (ESLTD), as per that table posted last week, yet ?

The first 2 stats sound impressive in a way. However it's not that they've just happened to be poor in different games but had the resolve to get something - the issue is O'Neill actively encourages that brand of football and there's only so many times they can nick points. They'll have to start playing a lot better if they want to do anything this year.

Undefeated marra, you're just Jelavic.

The major thing with that style is that it works away from home, counter attacking, but as soon as teams start to show you any respect at your own place, they're not going to recklessly attack you and create openings. There's also an ethical discussion to be had about counter attacking at home. Ultimately, it means drawing lots of games at home.

That led to the sort of tedious football that got Villa fans slaughtered in the media for DARING to complain or moan about.

This is our record under MON for the last two seasons:

08-09:

Home - W7 D9 L3 Scored 27

Away - W10 D2 L7 Scored 27

09-10

Home - W8 D8 L3 Scored 29

Away - W9 D5 L5 - Scored 23

Look at those home records, lots of draws and 27 goals one season, 29 the next.

However, in both those seasons, we had two home games in which we thrashed some shit team (Bolton, usually) and scored 5 goals.

If you take out those two anomalies, that leaves 17 goals across 17 home matches one year, and 19 the next.

That basically equates to a lot of games where MON teams struggle to break teams down - because there's no alternative if it's not working, and he doesn't "do" tactical substitutions beyond changing the right back.

The problem is the media never, ever seem to spot this. It's like they don't want to see what is going on. I reckon right now, there will be a lot of Sunderland fans who are starting to think "errm, hang on, maybe the Villa fans were right, after all".

O'Neill has other qualities, chief amongst which is the ability to motivate shit players to deliver more, which is very useful to have, but there's a quite definite glass ceiling to his abilities - and that's pretty much where he got us, sixth.

To get any further than that he'd need to be savvy in the transfer market (he isn't) and tactically clued up (he's totally not this), and that's why his answer to push us on was to just buy more of the same sort of player we already had, and hope for the best. It didn't work, and just landed us with a bloated squad of average ability and a huge wage bill.

Look at us now, having been the 3rd or 4th biggest spenders in the English game for a few years, having invested so much, ultimately O'Neill's approach meant it was all built on foundations of sand. How is it possible to have had such an enormous wage bill, but wind up with a squad of players nobody else would want, and to have to rebuild like we are now?

Still, it wasn't Martin's problem to deal with, because the very first time Lerner suggested he do something about the squad, move some guff out (players who never featured but were costing us a fortune), Martin stormed out, five days before the start of the season.

There's a reason MON ended up in a totally underwhelming job like Sunderland. Not all chairmen are daft and naive to not understand the way he works.

How is it possible to have had such an enormous wage bill, but wind up with a squad of players nobody else would want, and to have to rebuild like we are now?

http://www.nufcmismanagement.info/img/freddys.jpg

How is it possible to have had such an enormous wage bill, but wind up with a squad of players nobody else would want, and to have to rebuild like we are now?

Wasn't MON linked with your job under FFS?

I can only begin to imagine the carnage that would have unleashed. For starters, you'd probably still be paying Steve Guppy 60k a week, and he'd have 4 years left on his contract.

Wasn't MON linked with your job under FFS?

I can only begin to imagine the carnage that would have unleashed. For starters, you'd probably still be paying Steve Guppy 60k a week, and he'd have 4 years left on his contract.

Yes, yes he was.

And yes, yes we would.

Interesting post there Brummie (the long one obviously). Got to admit I was a bit of a fan of MON's, I thought he did a good job everywhere he went, especially at Leicester. I would have been more than happy if we had appointed him.

Now that he's at the dirty Mackems, I'm paying a little more attention to him, and understand completely where you are coming from the stats for possession and shots on goal support your theory and puts a little doubt against the universal mackem theory right now that we are thick because they've only played 1 home game to our 3 and quite obviously they would have had at least 7 points from those home matches :)

In terms of signings, clearly there's been little change in direction of buy British, with Johnson and Fletcher brought in, although I do like Johnson a lot, think he will be a great signing for them and I am a little jealous of that one. Johnson kind of reminds me of the Ashley Young for MON early on at Villa.

Glad we didn't get him in the end, especially with the mess he left at Villa, you guys are still recovering from that, it could take another year or two.