sunderland

JH

Yeah, Celtic fans I've met always talk about Rangers as their Real Madrid.

They are in that they're great rivals but Celtic's fight is very much in support of Irish republicanism, they're often in bother for singing IRA songs and you see way more Irish flags at a Celtic game than Scottish ones. I don't really understand it either.

Nobody really gives that much of a toss about Scottish independence compared to the Irish/Catalans/Basques, it's just a platform for Alex Salmond to get his fucking mug in the papers if you ask me.

They are in that they're great rivals but Celtic's fight is very much in support of Irish republicanism, they're often in bother for singing IRA songs and you see way more Irish flags at a Celtic game than Scottish ones. I don't really understand it either.

Nobody really gives that much of a toss about Scottish independence compared to the Irish/Catalans/Basques, it's just a platform for Alex Salmond to get his fucking mug in the papers if you ask me.

It's because they were founded by irish immigrants. Glasgow had a huge influx of irish back then and still does. Look how close the ferry is from Stranraer to Belfast. Very narrow minded view you're putting forward about independence there Wullie. I think you'll find that plenty of scots give a toss about independence and Alex Salmond doesn't really matter one way or the other.

Nobody really gives that much of a toss about Scottish independence compared to the Irish/Catalans/Basques, it's just a platform for Alex Salmond to get his f***ing mug in the papers if you ask me.

I disagree. Quite a few of my Scot friends who would never describe themselves as nationalists, will be voting for independence, primarily so they will not be controlled by governments (this one) who are in due to southern english support and don't really have a mandate in Scotland. I'll probably vote against it, but I wouldn't be dismissive of it.

Fair enough, it was meant flippantly. I just mean it's never been noticeably on the political agenda before very recently and there's still nowhere near the strength of feeling about it or (recent) history behind it that there is in those other regions.

Strange way to look at it. It was certainly very much on the political agenda in the 70s aswell as more recent times and it seems to be acting as a catalyst to the catalan move for independence so I'm not sure why you would see it like that. Anyway, not a topic of discussion for this thread.

Strange way to look at it. It was certainly very much on the political agenda in the 70s aswell as more recent times and it seems to be acting as a catalyst to the catalan move for independence so I'm not sure why you would see it like that. Anyway, not a topic of discussion for this thread.

I'm willing to bow to your knowledge on the subject Colin. I assume you're in support? I really hope you don't get it like.

I'm willing to bow to your knowledge on the subject Colin. I assume you're in support? I really hope you don't get it like.

Yeah I've looked into it a lot over the past year and now fully support it. I'm no big fan of the SNP and I also doubt that we will get it. I think it would be a difficult process initially but great in the long run.