Europa League 2012/13 - Benfica 1 - 2 Chelsea

MKSC
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Couldn't resist not posting in this thread any longer, 3 points off champions league, their we are, Newcastle, 5th, hunting down the champions league spots whilst picking off the more likely challengers, leading the race into the Uefa Cup but steamrolling towards to the top 4..........

I can't contain this kind of excitement, my mind is doing flips..........

One small change needed here:

NUFC Finish 7th with two teams contesting the FA Cup Final who have already qualified for Europe (CL place or Europa Lge via League or League Cup) AND Liverpool win the League Cup whilst finishing in a position that would afford them European Qualification.

If I've missed anything, and I probably have, feel free to let me know.

NUFC Finish 7th with two teams contesting the FA Cup Final who have already qualified for Europe (CL place or Europa Lge via League or League Cup) AND Liverpool win the League Cup whilst finishing in a position that would afford them European Qualification.

I'm just trying to work that out, do I need the bit about the league cup in twice? My brain is hurting so I'll take it out and it can be your fault if it turns out to be wrong.

I'm just trying to work that out, do I need the bit about the league cup in twice? My brain is hurting so I'll take it out and it can be your fault if it turns out to be wrong.

is it not just that you already covered liverpool winning the league cup outside the brackets ?

Guest north shields lad

For some reason, I keep reading this thread as "The Master Race for Europe".

What happens if Arsenal win the CL (I know, I know) and end up 5th?

I'd imagine that Arsenal would be let into the CL (they'll use Liverpool as an example), how that impacts the Europa League spaces however is quite a puzzler. Hmmm....

If a club finishes outside the top 4 and wins the CL they go into the CL. The 4th placed team go into the Europa league in there place. If the team that wins the CL havent qualified for the Europa, then the team that qualified for the Europa in the lowest spot, misses out.

For some reason, I keep reading this thread as "The Master Race for Europe".

What happens if Arsenal win the CL (I know, I know) and end up 5th?

I'd imagine that Arsenal would be let into the CL (they'll use Liverpool as an example), how that impacts the Europa League spaces however is quite a puzzler. Hmmm....

If a club finishes outside the top 4 and wins the CL they go into the CL. The 4th placed team go into the Europa league in there place. If the team that wins the CL havent qualified for the Europa, then the team that qualified for the Europa in the lowest spot, misses out.

Was clarified a page or two ago mate. Thanks anyway.

Since this is all about "What ifs"

What if ....

Premiership top 3 at end of season, Manure, Citeh and Spurs (in no particular order). Toon in 4th. (CL spot - achievable, but with good odds).

Chelsea finish 5th (EL spot)

Arsenal finish 6th, but win CL. (Taking our CL spot - down into EL)

Liverpool win League Cup (EL spot)

FA Cup Final - Spurs v 5under1and. Regardless of result, Mackems qualify for EL.

So what a nightmare. We end up 4th - with a marvellous 16 match run-in, but end up in the same competition as KKs horrible lot, the great unwashed, and Chelski.

Could it happen? :kasper:

We would still only get 3 Europa League spots. In that situation Chelsea would miss out. Which is almost worth it happening, swap the scum out for somebody else in the FA Cup Final and it's win all round.

We would still only get 3 Europa League spots. In that situation Chelsea would miss out. Which is almost worth it happening, swap the scum out for somebody else in the FA Cup Final and it's win all round.

Eh, losing out on a Champions League spot would be worth it if Chelsea miss out on a Europa League spot I doubt they even want to begin with? :serious:

Eh, losing out on a Champions League spot would be worth it if Chelsea miss out on a Europa League spot I doubt they even want to begin with? :serious:

We wouldn't be able to do anything about missing out on the CL in that situation, UEFA have made the ruling clear on this. If that meant Chelsea missed out on Europe altogether it would be ALMOST worth it. Can you find the key word in there?

We wouldn't be able to do anything about missing out on the CL in that situation, UEFA have made the ruling clear on this. If that meant Chelsea missed out on Europe altogether it would be ALMOST worth it. Can you find the key word in there?

Aye, but you then went on to say though that if Sunderland in the cup final was taken out of the equation then it would be happy days.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question....do you want to see Newcastle qualify for Europe this season?

I don't think our squad is big enough for Europe at the moment and it could have a negative effect on our league performances (see Stoke and Fulham this season), plus there isn't enough money in the Europa cup to allow us to build our squad up. I guess it would make us slightly more attractive to prospective players when trying to make signings in the summer though.

I do miss the European mid-week matches, but I don't think we are ready for it for another season or two!

I agree, however, I think AP and even the board would realise that additional players would be needed to cover the additional games.  If they did not invest we would be screwed, if they did, I think we would be okay.

Personally I would love to be back in Europe with further squad strengthening.

Looking at those FA-cup games makes me sad. What an absolutly chance we would have to go deep in the tornument :jesuswept:

Seems like europe is going to be tough if we dont finish 4th or 5th. Tottenham is the only team left in the FA-cup that´s for sure is going to finish above us. Then we have Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool left. Guess I will support Chelsea then...