Europa League 2012/13 - Benfica 1 - 2 Chelsea

MKSC
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest MalcolmW

No extra place is given in the Champions' League unless the winner's country is only entitled to 1 place.

If Chelsea win the final they will go straight to the group stage along with the top 3 in the premier league, and the 4th club will transfer to the group stage of the Europa League. (If Liverpool had won the FA Cup the 4th league club would transfer to the play-off round.) 5th in the league start in the play-off round. Liverpool, as Carling Cup winners, will go to the 3rd qualifying round.

The only way England would have an extra place in the Europa is if Fulham, Stoke or Birmingham had won this year's competition.

If Newcastle finish third in the league they will go straight to the group stage but will almost certainly be in pot 4. Since they cannot draw an English club until the quarter-final, opponents would include one of these:

Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Porto, AC Milan, Valencia or Benfica.

If Newcastle finish 4th they will be in the play-off round of the Champions' League unless Chelsea win this month's final, in which case they will be in the group stage of the Europa League. If they are in the group stage they will be in pot 3 or possibly 4, because of the lack of appearances in the last 5 seasons.

In the Champions' League play-off round Newcastle would be unseeded and would face teams like CSKA Moscow, Sporting Braga, Dinamo Kiev, Panathinaikos or Fenerbahce. A win over 2 legs would put them in the group stage of the CL, defeat would see transfer to the group stage of the EL.

If Newcastle finish 5th in the league they will probably be seeded, in which case they will miss the big names (Inter Milan, Marseilles, Stuttgart, PSV, etc) and face a team such as Dinamo Bucharest, Feyenoord, Maritimo Funchal, Rapid Vienna, Red Star Belgrade, Motherwell, Shamrock Rovers or many others.

Most of the national leagues finish by this weekend. The only later ones which can affect the Champions' League play-off round are France (20/5), Greece (20/5), Denmark (23/5) and Romania (19/5). So by this time next week everything will be much clearer...

There are a couple of (English language) Dutch websites with lots of useful information.

If Newcastle finish 5th in the league they will probably be seeded, in which case they will miss the big names (Inter Milan, Marseilles, Stuttgart, PSV, etc) and face a team such as Dinamo Bucharest, Feyenoord, Maritimo Funchal, Rapid Vienna, Red Star Belgrade, Motherwell, Shamrock Rovers or many others.

As I mentioned recently Stoke were seeded this season with the same coefficient rating we'll have this season going into it. Depends on who else is in the tournament though.

Couldn't resist not posting in this thread any longer, 3 points off champions league, there we are, Newcastle, 5th, hunting down the champions league spots whilst picking off the more likely challengers, leading the race into the Uefa Cup but steamrolling towards to the top 4..........

I can't contain this kind of excitement, my mind is doing flips..........

One game to go and my mind is still doing flips  :frantic:

Draws for Europa League:

3rd qual round: 20th july

playoff round: 10 aug

Group stage: 31 aug

where do we come in, assuming we finish 5th and chelsea get beat ?

Playoff round.

Hmm, I might be wrong, we could possibly finish 5th and end up entering at the earlier stage. If Chelsea win the CL, the runners-up (Liverpool) get the group spot, then depending on whether this extra EL place exists or not, 4th would possibly get the play-off spot leaving us in the 3rd Qualifying Round with the spot initially intended for the Carling Cup winners.

However, I was under the impression that if Chelsea won the Champions League England got an extra EL spot to give to 4th place, plus I'm sure I read that Chelsea's loss the other night guaranteed we'd enter no later than the play-off.

:dontknow:

Hmm, I might be wrong, we could possibly finish 5th and end up entering at the earlier stage. If Chelsea win the CL, the runners-up (Liverpool) get the group spot, then depending on whether this extra EL place exists or not, 4th would possibly get the play-off spot leaving us in the 3rd Qualifying Round with the spot initially intended for the Carling Cup winners.

However, I was under the impression that if Chelsea won the Champions League England got an extra EL spot to give to 4th place, plus I'm sure I read that Chelsea's loss the other night guaranteed we'd enter no later than the play-off.

If we finished 4th and Chelsea won the CL then we would get Chelsea's FA Cup win spot = group stages.

If we finished 5th and Chelsea won the CL then the team finishing 4th would get Chelsea's FA Cup win spot and we would get the normal 5th placed spot.

Guest MalcolmW

No to the point about Liverpool and no to the point about an extra CL place. The rule was tightened after the Everton/Liverpool fiasco after Liverpool's last win.

The FA Cup winners take precedence in the Europa. If the winners of the FA Cup are qualified for the Champions' League a Europa place goes to the runners-up, but this ranks below all those eligible on league position and below the Carling Cup winners. As it happens Liverpool are both Carling winners and FA Cup runners-up, so they have the lowest ranking place - starting in the 3rd qualifying round.

Fifth in the league will start in the play-off round (Q4), and fourth will either be in the Champions' League play-off round or the group stage of the Europa, depending whether Chelsea lose or win this year's CL final.

(If Chelsea win the CL they will go to the group stage as holders; if they lose to Bayern, Chelsea will go to the group stage of the Europa as FA Cup holders.)

Guest Vinkent

Anyone know where I can find a list of teams in next season's Europa League? Had no luck so far. I'm off to Spain and France on my year abroad and there's no way I'm missing out on going to see the toon in Europe.