Europa League 2012/13 - Benfica 1 - 2 Chelsea

MKSC
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm guessing we'll be seeded for the draw though? Or do we not find that out until the draw either?

Depends on who is in it but Stoke were last season and we'll have a similar weighting.

Satisfied with those dates. I can understand the argument for 'pre-season' games being better when they're competitive, but i'd rather enter a Friendly tournament than have a season that officially starts in July.

Looking forward to it a lot - can't wait to go to some European games.

Was irritated when Shearer played the achievement down on Match of the Day last night. Don't get me wrong, the guy is God to me, but sometimes on that show it's like - are you trying too hard to be neutral, or do you actually have a chip on your shoulder?

I honestly don't think we have a small squad at all, although losing the likes of Lovenkrands, Smith (ha), Guthrie, Simpson etc will have an effect on this. I expect Vuckic, Abeid, Shola etc will see some more game time next season.

Guest MalcolmW

I'm guessing we'll be seeded for the draw though? Or do we not find that out until the draw either?

Depends on who is in it but Stoke were last season and we'll have a similar weighting.

It's not so simple. This year, for the first time, the top 6 nations have a direct place in the group stage, so there are fewer spots available from QR4. Last year Stoke were ranked 34 out of 78, so they were seeded. But this time there are only 62 teams, so 34th would not be seeded. And the default English coefficient is a little lower this season than last. All the info is on the (English language) Dutch website referred to above (Kassiesa), but sometimes it needs further explanation.

:thup: good point.

Got a while we need to concern ourselves with that anyway and let's just hope we get a good draw against a well supported shit team with a bog ground.

Guest MalcolmW

:thup: 

Got a while we need to concern ourselves with that anyway and let's just hope we get a good draw against a well supported s*** team with a bog ground.

Like the winners of the Scottish Cup Final on Saturday?

It's not so simple. This year, for the first time, the top 6 nations have a direct place in the group stage, so there are fewer spots available from QR4. Last year Stoke were ranked 34 out of 78, so they were seeded. But this time there are only 62 teams, so 34th would not be seeded. And the default English coefficient is a little lower this season than last. All the info is on the (English language) Dutch website referred to above (Kassiesa), but sometimes it needs further explanation.

Cheers for that mate, very helpful :thup:

Guest MalcolmW

Do the FA cup and Carling cup winners enter in at the group stages? Definitely think the league place should be considered a better achievement than winning a cup and be put in at a latter date like!

The reason is that when the Cup Winners Cup was discontinued and merged into the UEFA Cup (now Europa League), domestic major cup winners were given the highest ranking spot in the competition.

Guest MalcolmW

Do the FA cup and Carling cup winners enter in at the group stages? Definitely think the league place should be considered a better achievement than winning a cup and be put in at a latter date like!

National FAs have the right to reserve the bottom ranking place for a league cup winner (not runner-up). Only England and France actually do this. Scotland, for example does not give a place to league cup winners.

Guest NufcBano

How likely is it we will be drawn against the likes of Napoli, Levante, Stuttgart, S Lisbon, APOEL, CSKA, AZ Alkmaar etc in the play-off round...?

:undecided:

Guest ThievingMagpie

This is a bit and logic like this is "One of the Many Things Killing Football" the FA cup place should always be in the groups imo and the fact that the FA cup isn't the last game of the domestic season is a fucking travesty and really shows how soulless the game has become recently. Let's not kill off the grand old tradition of cup winners in Europe just because you feel a bit disappointed that the FA cup winners go into the groups directly. The Carling Cup place I agree we can send off to a playoff place but don't touch that FA cup place for any reason.

Guest ThievingMagpie

Finishing 5th is awesome and should be rewarded but winning the FA cup should get you into the groups by virtue of the fact you actually won something that has a history. Let's not forget the fact that it is the oldest cup competition in football and added to the fact that the FA cup winners have always been in the old Cup Winners Cup (R.I.P) I don't see what's wrong about giving a group spot to the Cup Winners. It's a reward for actually winning something.

Are you telling me in a Wenger-esque way that 5th place is like it's own trophy? I totally agree with you that 5th is a monumental task but I really think that winning THE domestic cup in world football imo shouldn't be treated as an extra burden by anyone or treated less and just be given a god damn play off place. That Mickey Mouse Cup in January though, that can go to a playoff like I said, it's a plastic cup, the FA cup has history and tradition older than The Football League itself if you don't get that then I don't really know what to say to you.