Potential changes to the Laws of the Game

PM

My point is this rule is supposed to encourage respect towards the referee when it's only going to turn the match sour (and without fail turn the crowd onto the referee). The referee will all ways be abused for sending off players, it just makes more sense when he's been abused for enforsing a rule that isn't in place to 'protect' him.

I think the point is that the abuse from players would stop if some action was actually taken.

My point is this rule is supposed to encourage respect towards the referee when it's only going to turn the match sour (and without fail turn the crowd onto the referee). The referee will all ways be abused for sending off players, it just makes more sense when he's been abused for enforsing a rule that isn't in place to 'protect' him.

I think the point is that the abuse from players would stop if some action was actually taken.

But things will still be said in the heat of the moment. A yellow card is more than enough punishment imo.

Imo the part about sending players off if they are deemed to have no opportunity of playing the ball would likely lead to more confusion, slo-mo replays of incidents, calls for video technology etc., as how many times does a player make a challenge with no chance of getting to the ball? If you're close enough to pull a shirt or bring someone down then there's no reason you're not logically close enough to get to the ball.

However, agree with the 4th substitute in ET ruling. Always thought myself that teams should be allowed to make a 4th substitute in normal time but only in case of injury. The way it is now, if a player injures a member of the opposition, then his team are rewarded in a way by being a man up.

Give anyone who confronts the ref about a decision (other than the captain) a straight red card. They'd soon learn respect :thup:

Don't think some of the refs these days would have much bottle to make such a decision imo.....

But things will still be said in the heat of the moment. A yellow card is more than enough punishment imo.

Players kick out in the heat of the moment too.

Yeah, and the 3 match set ban clearly hasn't stopped this seeing as it happens every week.

Cheers for validating my point.

I like the sound of the rule....but my concern would be it's ambiguous enough that all we'd hear would be boorish tv punditry cunts screaming "consistency" even more than we do at the moment.

My own personal preference on a rule change would be the handball law. The intentional aspect makes it extremely hard to judge and the 'hands in an unnatural position' doesn't clarify it much. I'd like the rule to be that if a player was deemed to have gained an advantage from the ball hitting their hand then that's an offence.

On another note, there seem to be a few that are so rarely applied I honestly don't even know if they're in the laws anymore, the worst of which has to be foul throws. I get called for them occasionally, occupational hazard at full back, but you see some games where at least 50% look foul. Can't remember the last time I saw one given. The others that spring to mind as never being enforced are the keeper having the ball for six seconds, the game not being extended for anything other than a penalty (always let them take a corner / free kick etc.) and encroachment at penalties (both for the keeper coming off the line and players from both teams entering the area). Can anyone (Paul) confirm if these are actually still all laws?

Bin off all the rules regarding playing getting booked for celebrations (that aren't wildly offensive) would be a good start

Abhorrent rule. What's the justification - is it something to do with advertising?

Bin off all the rules regarding playing getting booked for celebrations (that aren't wildly offensive) would be a good start

Abhorrent rule. What's the justification - is it something to do with advertising?

Political reasons apparently (the message under the shirt thing).

I thought they started it when Forlan couldn't get his shirt back on (back in the day of the underlayer shirts).

No problem with booking someone if they've a ridiculous msg on their chest/t-shirt or what not like.

Could have a sin bin for dissent.10 minutes down to 10 men doesn't kill the game but would be a definite  advantage.

This, but Fifa would never ever ever add the idea of an extra card (green) for a sin bin, or even add a sin bin like they have in rugby. I'm guessing most people on here would be opposed to it as well.

The sin bin rule would be bad because our referee's are far too inconsistent. You would start to see a case of less pliers being given yellow cards, especially for the likes of Man Utd.

Could you imagine the fury of fans when a player of the opposing team gets a harsh yellow and a Man Utd player just gets a talking too when he should have been given a yellow?

The sin bin rule works well in Rugby because you pretty much have to get a baseball bat and start beating people up in Rugby in order to commit a foul.

Keys & Gray had Dermot Gallagher on today and it was an interesting discussion on these new ideas. They wondered if we'll ever have American-style timers to prevent cheeky injury time tactics. Dermot wants to ban substitutions in injury time and Keys suggested using both goals for a penalty shootout so that no team has the advantage of being in front of their own supporters.

On another note, there seem to be a few that are so rarely applied I honestly don't even know if they're in the laws anymore, the worst of which has to be foul throws. I get called for them occasionally, occupational hazard at full back, but you see some games where at least 50% look foul. Can't remember the last time I saw one given. The others that spring to mind as never being enforced are the keeper having the ball for six seconds, the game not being extended for anything other than a penalty (always let them take a corner / free kick etc.) and encroachment at penalties (both for the keeper coming off the line and players from both teams entering the area). Can anyone (Paul) confirm if these are actually still all laws?

They are indeed.  The problem is that it has been so long since any of them were applied properly, that any referee who did his job would be crucified.  It's like when a penalty is given for holding or a push - you hear "if he's given that you'd get 10 penalties a game" - well, if they started being given then you wouldn't, because people would sharp realise that it's not acceptable and stop doing it. 

Krul (and he's by no means the only one) was taking 11-12 seconds to release the ball on Wednesday, which is great when you get away with it, but it is getting a bit out of hand at times.  A mate of mine actually gave a free kick for it twice in a game earlier this season, and predictably there was uproar (he was being assessed like).

There are many frustrating aspects of top level refereeing at the moment but until we get hi-tech robots doing the job, it will always be the case.  Plus there aren't enough of them in the PL.

On a side note, it's annoying how so many refs seem to think that just because a challenge results in a penalty it is necessarily also worthy of a yellow.

It's something that the pundits seem to believe as well.  On the occaision when a penalty is given and there is no yellow card the daft sods get confused and flabbergasted at the lack of a card.

It's backwards logic too. If anything awarding a pen is harsh enough and would make you more reluctant of adding a booking on top of it.

I guess they see it as an important decision (which it is) and therefore needs to be highlighted.

See a lot of it in the Spanish and French leagues and Euro competitions.

Yeah, and the 3 match set ban clearly hasn't stopped this seeing as it happens every week.

Cheers for validating my point.

So because you can't stop something totally with a punishment you should just go along with it?

Refs aren't as good as they could be in this country because its a thankless task for bugger all money. From the grassroots up, they are subject to all kinds of abuse and the least that the top end of the game can do is to keep players in line as best they can. Otherwise even fewer people will take up refereeing, the 'best' will be of a lower quality and we'll all be standing around wondering how refs are so bad these days.

The problem is that the authorities and the officials seem to lack the will to follow and kind of campaign through and just becomes 'flavour of the season'. The idea that we should tolerate it because trying to stamp it out would create more abuse is a peverse way to tackling a problem.