Tottenham Hotspur Vs Newcastle United- 11/02/12 @ 5:30pm (ESPN) Pre-match thread

Fenham Mag

Went to this fixture last year. Saw 10 men Spurs beat us with goals from the flanks. This time I think we have a bit more about us to hurt them. Been offered tickets for this game, but can't go as I have to travel to India that weekend. :(

Time for a rare dose of optimism from me.

I have thought we will win this one all season as Spurs are the most Hyped up club in England. Historically they go to pieces for parts of the season and they are due that anytime now.

Their managers priority at the moment is trying to save himself from a deserved stretch behind bars.

We now have the best keeper in the Premier league while they have an arthritic old man in goal.

While Krul & co. keep them out we also now have, out of Africa, the capability to score the requisite number of goals at the other end.

3 points please Mr. Pardew!

Jesus Christ, anyone would think we're playing Barcelona.

I doubt there are many teams in the league that would look at playing us as an easy game.

It will be close, we'll be up for it, and will probably be playing very tight at the back. We're extremely good on the counter with plenty of pace and good at creating chances.

Could easily go either way but we won't get a thumping. I still fancies us to win it 1-2.

Krul

Simpson Willo Colo Santon

Perch

Guthrie      Abeid

BenArfa                    Ba

Cisse

Is what i'd like to see... :shifty:

The thread for the corresponding game was similar iirc, most people predicting Bale & Spurs to rape us into submission. I don't think they're THAT good and we're more than capable of getting a point.

Krul

Simpson      Williamson  Colo    Santon

Guthrie    Perch    Jonas

Ben Arfa                                        Ba

Cisse

1-1

I doubt there are many teams in the league that would look at playing us as an easy game.

It will be close, we'll be up for it, and will probably be playing very tight at the back. We're extremely good on the counter with plenty of pace and good at creating chances.

Could easily go either way but we won't get a thumping. I still fancies us to win it 1-2.

Make a good point, having said that i just worry about the midfield battle...... what ever way you want to slice it; Guthrie and Perch are most likely going to get dominated by Parker and Modric......

Quite frankly that worries me, if Tiote and Cabaye was available i would actually be confident of winning.

Krul

Santon      Colo        Willi      Ferguson

Obertan  Abeid  Guthrie  Perch  Jonas

Ba

Edit: Then Cisse when Ba begins to tire. Pack the midfield. Bite at them, get in their faces - keep our wings pacy. Hope Ba can magic a goal as usual. :shifty:

Make a good point, having said that i just worry about the midfield battle...... what ever way you want to slice it; Guthrie and Perch are most likely going to get dominated by Parker and Modric......

Quite frankly that worries me, if Tiote and Cabaye was available i would actually be confident of winning.

I refuse to take that as a given.

Parker and Guthrie are on par.

While Modric is obviously better than Perch, Modric seldom causes us any problems and Perch is essentially a defender. He may well neutralise any threat Modric does pose.

Even if not, it probably won't make much difference. Both sides rely heavily on their wing play. That's where the real battle will be.

I think we'll give them a game despite no Tiote and Cabaye which is obviously a major loss. In previous years we might have packed the midfield and sat back against big teams but one thing I do like about Pardew is he is willing to stick two strikers up front against these teams and give them something to think about. Two strikers does remove a midfielder but it also allows you to press the ball from the front. Tottenham have a stronger midfield but if we pack the midfield and put one up front I can see us struggling to hold possession at all and it'll keep coming back until eventually we buckle and it's game over. I'd rather we have a go.

For me Ben Arfa has to start here because his trickery and running will cause problems on the counter and with the strikers we have it'll worry Spurs when we break because they're obviously three dangerous players. Ben Arfa loses the odd ball trying things out but Obertan lost a lot of balls yesterday without even knowing what he wanted to do. I'm pretty certain Pardew will go for Obertan due to his tracking back which is understandable but I think this would be a mistake. We need the ability to hurt them at the other end too.

A draw obviously would be a good result, espescially as Liverpool travel to Old Trafford and Arsenal's game at the dark side won't be easy either. Spurs will obviously be favourites and without Cabaye and Tiote it might be a big ask but if we get our tactics right we can give them a game. They're good but as another poster said, they're not Barcelona. Average teams like Wolves, Stoke and Swansea have taken points off them, there's no reason why we can't get at them.

While Modric is obviously better than Perch, Modric seldom causes us any problems and Perch is essentially a defender. He may well neutralise any threat Modric does pose.

Even if not, it probably won't make much difference. Both sides rely heavily on their wing play. That's where the real battle will be.

Good point on the wing play..... on the Man Utd comparison i personally believe atleast on a individual comparison Tottenham are a better side than Utd although they are above them in the table.

We got 2 demba that can their terrorize their goal keeper... well on our side we got krul & hope krul playing more blinder. So we have chance getting result even our midfield is aren't good as them. Perhaps with route 1 tactic will work best for us rather than play on deck.. unless ben arfa become unplayable in this match which he capable of.... so we can play more on the deck.

I tempted to go with this

Krul

Simpson  Colo  Willi

Jonas                            Santon

Perch

Guthrie                  Arfa

Demba    Demba

Shamed we don't have cb alternatives than simpson, and tiote will not available yet

Modric to score a screamer against us then. I seem to remember Modric causing us all kinds of problems the last time we played them, can't see Perch being able to stop him all by himself.

A big part of our resilience was in our midfield, with Guthrie and Perch we're not going to have that. We'll definitely need 3 in the middle just to stay in the game.

Bot all chance Ben Arfa will start on the wing IMO.

Worth swapping Jonas over to the right for this one to double on the Welsh ape?

Aye could be worth it to give Simpson the extra protection. The thought of Bale scoring and doing that daft celebration :anguish: