Fabrice Muamba retires from professional football

MW

Arn't defibrillators supposed to be coming more public (like fire extinguishers being placed in shopping malls and other every day places) with a simple instruction guide?

:kasper: If that's true it's one of the worst ideas I've ever heard.

Arn't defibrillators supposed to be coming more public (like fire extinguishers being placed in shopping malls and other every day places) with a simple instruction guide?

If that's true it's one of the worst ideas I've ever heard.

Why?

They don't harm you if used in error and not in cardiac arrest.

They're so easy to use that you simply place them in the right place and keep hold of them. They detect the heart rhythm and will recognise when to administer the 'shock' by themselves. They'll only work if the heart is behaving in a certain way and they do 99% of the work.

:kasper: If that's true it's one of the worst ideas I've ever heard.

Not really. They are obviously only for use in an emergency. Why not have them dotted around for just incase?

I think they should at least be placed in locations where sports are played, so leisure centre's, gyms, football pitches, school gyms etc should all have them.

SJA have 'Community Responders' and are on a big push to get more volunteers to take it up as well as teaching CPR in schools. The Community Responders have a defrib, oxygen etc at home, and are often Doctors or GP's anyway, but if a 999 call comes in they can get round to the person's house or where ever quicker to resuscitate the patient before the Paramedics get there.

I'm sure it's also part of the driving test/license in Germany. May be in France too.

Defibs are already routinely available in public places but most people don't know about them. They're in the malls of the Metrocentre and Eldon Square, and in places like leisure centres. They're also totally user-friendly and speak instructions to the user. They won't administer a shock unless it has analysed a heart rhythm that is 'shockable' (not all arrest rhythms are) More people need to know but then how do you teach it to the wider public without major advertising or funding. It's a real shame.

They're so easy to use that you simply place them in the right place and keep hold of them. They detect the heart rhythm and will recognise when to administer the 'shock' by themselves. They'll only work if the heart is behaving in a certain way and they do 99% of the work.

Ooo, hello. I should have read this first! Did I teach you that? :lol:

You guys don't teach it in school? It's required in the states. Not actually being certified, but learning the basic process.

I learnt it in secondary school (12-16) not sure about everyone else?

I just thought that was you on his account.

I don't always ignore you pet.

Will ignore her reply on purpose.

I just thought that was you on his account.

I'm at work, he's at home. Anyway... Have a read of this www.aedlocator.org/faq.php

Guest Heneage

This has also made me wonder how many people know how to do basic life support. If this had happened to someone in the stand next to you at the match, would you be able to do anything until medics got there? I know that lots of workplaces offer voluntary BLS training but how well are they attended?

They provide stewards with basic first aid during your training, but it's rarely tested.

I just used 'at the match' as an example. I really meant 'in day-to-day life' Why don't we teach it to kids in school? (obviously older kids) They might go through their whole lives and never use it but one day...who knows?

Oh yeah, I was concurring actually. I think it should be refreshed every season. Thankfully I've learned it and practiced often just in case.

I volunteered to learn first aid at work but the bosses denied me the opportunity because they "didn't want me to give them the kiss of life." Still angry about their idiocy tbh. I agree everyone should learn it at school. The number of people who panic and do nothing or the wrong thing might reduce then.

Hope the lad pulls through, he deserves a proper go at life, 23 is no age.

Guest Shaun

Hope the guy pulls through, but with the amount of time he was out his brain must have taken some serious damage? I don't know so I shouldn't say too much. Really horrible and sad what happened yesterday. So young and everything. :(

And I've had first aid courses three times now and I still don't know how to do anything right because each time the instructors have told us to way different from what the next one have said. How are we supossed to learn ti when we get different instructions each time?

Experienced an older woman (60-70-ish) getting a heart attack on the train not many months ago. Probably didn't make it even though she got first aid by a nurse pretty fast. It was a horrible, and seeing her man not knowing anything about what went on and crying just made it worse.

Most heart attacks aren't fatal. As she was seen to quickly, it's more than likely she's fine.

Hope the guy pulls through, but with the amount of time he was out his brain must have taken some serious damage? I don't know so I shouldn't say too much. Really horrible and sad what happened yesterday. So young and everything. :(

And I've had first aid courses three times now and I still don't know how to do anything right because each time the instructors have told us to way different from what the next one have said. How are we supossed to learn ti when we get different instructions each time?

Experienced an older woman (60-70-ish) getting a heart attack on the train not many months ago. Probably didn't make it even though she got first aid by a nurse pretty fast. It was a horrible, and seeing her man not knowing anything about what went on and crying just made it worse.

Most heart attacks aren't fatal. As she was seen to quickly, it's more than likely she's fine.

She? And it was more a cardiac arrest than a heart attack, which is pretty fatal in many circumstances.

This has also made me wonder how many people know how to do basic life support. If this had happened to someone in the stand next to you at the match, would you be able to do anything until medics got there? I know that lots of workplaces offer voluntary BLS training but how well are they attended?

This is particularly appropriate, as it was only a few weeks ago that a spectator died at WHL in exactly these circumstances. I believe he received attention very quickly, but it was a massive MI and there wasn't much hope. IIRC it was a grandfather who'd been taken as a birthday treat, and his son and two grandchildren were with him.

I volunteered to learn first aid at work but the bosses denied me the opportunity because they "didn't want me to give them the kiss of life." Still angry about their idiocy tbh. I agree everyone should learn it at school. The number of people who panic and do nothing or the wrong thing might reduce then.

Hope the lad pulls through, he deserves a proper go at life, 23 is no age.

CPR really should be taught at school - even if you don't do the mouth-to-mouth bit (which is arguably unnecessary) its still WAAAAY better than just doing nothing.

School should do away with some of the pointless subjects and put in useful life lessons such as first aid, banking and the Heimlich thing. The world would be a much better place if we all knew basic first aid skills.

Guest Shaun

She? And it was more a cardiac arrest than a heart attack, which is pretty fatal in many circumstances.

I was talking about the old girl on the bus. Seems like he deleted his post?

On the CPR topic: It's only got a very slim chance of being successful.

CPR really should be taught at school - even if you don't do the mouth-to-mouth bit (which is arguably unnecessary) its still WAAAAY better than just doing nothing.

Yes, wish they would do this.

School should do away with some of the pointless subjects and put in useful life lessons such as first aid, banking and the Heimlich thing. The world would be a much better place if we all knew basic first aid skills.

Agree with this too. It's so obvious.

I was talking about the old girl on the bus. Seems like he deleted his post?

On the CPR topic: It's only got a very slim chance of being successful.

Apologies, I should have read the post you quoted.

Next 24 hours crucial according to Coyle:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17419654

Bolton Wanderers midfielder Fabrice Muamba faces a crucial 24 hours in his fight for life, manager Owen Coyle has said.

The 23-year-old remains critically ill after collapsing during an FA Cup quarter-final tie against Tottenham.

He is being treated in the intensive care unit of the heart attack centre at the London Chest Hospital.

Coyle said: "It's very serious. There's no getting away from that. God willing, he makes it through."

Similar thing happened over here last season. Player was unconscious for over 50 days but ultimately pulled through. Obviously his career is over, but he's alive and walking.

Was quite the story and I hope there's a similar happy ending for Fabrice Muamba as well. God bless.