Fabrice Muamba retires from professional football

MW

For those looking for an update this morning - there's been no further comment overnight which would suggest he remains in a critical condition.

Cat, if that's the case, is it a bad thing for his long-term chances that his condition hasn't improved/he isn't stable after so many hours? I know no one knows specifics, but..

Defibs are already routinely available in public places but most people don't know about them. They're in the malls of the Metrocentre and Eldon Square, and in places like leisure centres. They're also totally user-friendly and speak instructions to the user. They won't administer a shock unless it has analysed a heart rhythm that is 'shockable' (not all arrest rhythms are) More people need to know but then how do you teach it to the wider public without major advertising or funding. It's a real shame.

The only place I've noticed them is at 5aside football places. I went to florida last year and they were absolutely everywhere

For those looking for an update this morning - there's been no further comment overnight which would suggest he remains in a critical condition.

Cat, if that's the case, is it a bad thing for his long-term chances that his condition hasn't improved/he isn't stable after so many hours? I know no one knows specifics, but..

My dad was critical for days after a massive heart attack, 20 years later and 70 years old and he's still alive. I wouldn't write a 23 year old athlete off yet. I would think the longer it goes on the better.

My dad was critical for days after a massive heart attack, 20 years later and 70 years old and he's still alive. I wouldn't write a 23 year old athlete off yet. I would think the longer it goes on the better.

:thup:

Guest Shaun

Two totally different conditions.

A heart attack is a artery blockage. A cardiac arrest is when the heart suddenly stops.

As Mick has said - no, it's not really an immediate concern. The fact that he hasn't actually died is the crucial thing at this point. We don't know whether he's even regained consciousness but I would strongly suspect that he's in a medically induced coma at the mo which is standard, and therefore still critical, but critically stable if that makes sense.

Two totally different conditions.

A heart attack is a artery blockage. A cardiac arrest is when the heart suddenly stops.

They are different conditions, in both cases you have a better chance of recovery the further you get from the initial problem.

Defibs are already routinely available in public places but most people don't know about them. They're in the malls of the Metrocentre and Eldon Square, and in places like leisure centres. They're also totally user-friendly and speak instructions to the user. They won't administer a shock unless it has analysed a heart rhythm that is 'shockable' (not all arrest rhythms are) More people need to know but then how do you teach it to the wider public without major advertising or funding. It's a real shame.

The only place I've noticed them is at 5aside football places. I went to florida last year and they were absolutely everywhere

I believe it is law in some states for them to be available in certain areas over there.

Guest firetotheworks

Is this fairly rare, or are there many more cases other than the well-publicised ones? It seems to be fairly frequent over the last few years.

Is this fairly rare, or are there many more cases other than the well-publicised ones? It seems to be fairly frequent over the last few years.

Chap on SSN just said it's around 1 in 50,000.

It's not common but yeah, it happens more than anyone hears about. It happens to people of all ages, sizes, shapes and backgrounds.

Still in shock about this.

Thanks to everyone really for your support/compassion. We may all support different clubs but at the end of the day there are more important things than mere club allegiances and I'm glad that everyone has united over this.

Guest Chubby Jason

It was horrible hearing this on the radio as it happened. It's a shocking situation but it will hopefully lead to compulsory screening for things like this.

Guest tyzer

Only found out about this this morning, really really hope he gets better. Really nice lad on all accounts, just needs to hold on.

Would he be able to play football again after this?

Unfortunately i think it would be extremely unlikely.