Swansea City 0 - 2 Newcastle United - 06/04/12 - post-match reaction from pg 39

Dave

Even after a win :lol:

I wouldn't worry. We'll drop points against Bolton, Stoke or Wigan and the more blatant insults will come back.

if they're deserved.

We're on the verge of 60 points. Nothing but positivity towards the manager and playing staff - as a whole, if not individually - is warranted.

is that so ?

I usually love Tiote away from home, but I thought he was anonymous and we looked better without him. It has to be a pretty outstanding 45 minutes for an 8, like.

Read it again, bud.

Even after a win :lol:

I wouldn't worry. We'll drop points against Bolton, Stoke or Wigan and the more blatant insults will come back.

if they're deserved.

We're on the verge of 60 points. Nothing but positivity towards the manager and playing staff - as a whole, if not individually - is warranted.

is that so ?

I usually love Tiote away from home, but I thought he was anonymous and we looked better without him. It has to be a pretty outstanding 45 minutes for an 8, like.

Read it again, bud.

you thought he was anonymous and we wre better without him, thats hardly positive towards him, "individually" ?

It's an observation - and one that you yourself agreed with.

I never implied that we can't criticise individual performances.

but you did, you said "Nothing but positivity towards the manager and playing staff - as a whole, if not individually - is warranted."

Have you drunk so much tonight/today/this morning that you can't see the 'not individually' in there, man?

its "if not individually" which implies that it follws from the original statement which was that we shouldn't criticise the collective nor the individual. is that now what you meant ?

off to bed now anyway, big day tomorrow (today), going up grey's monument!!!!

Have you drunk so much tonight/today/this morning that you can't see the 'not individually' in there, man?

its "if not individually" which implies that it follws from the original statement which was that we shouldn't criticise the collective nor the individual. is that now what you meant ?

off to bed now anyway, big day tomorrow (today), going up grey's monument!!!!

:thup: hope the weathers better than when I went up.

I meant overall NUFC have performed superbly this season and whatever happens it's been a positive campaign that deserves to be reported in that light. Does that mean we can't scrutinise the components?

Of course not. That's how we fell so far in 2003-04.

So was that a typical Swansea performance, or did we make them play at least 300 unnecessary passes?

Think our early goal completely stumped them and gave us the opportunity to play as we did.

That said, I was confident we'd win anyway as I said early in the pre-match thread but particularly when I saw Sinclair and Graham weren't playing. They lacked any sort of penetration without those two.

The difference between a team like swansea and a team like barca is that the barca passing has a purpose.  They're probing and using the movement of both the ball and their own players to pull the other team around and create spaces to run into for the killer pass.  Swansea on the other hand just seem to pass it for the sake of passing it, there was very little purpose in a lot of their passes except maybe to bump up their stats.

What exactly is the point of one CB passing 10 yards to the other and then him passing it back straight away when there's no opposition player anywhere near them?

I'm a bit surprised at some of the feeling towards Swansea. If they aren't able to make the possession count, then that's surely just down the level of ability of their personnel. Their general philosophy has to be applauded, surely ?  :undecided:

Agreed. Some absolute stupidity been posted about the Swansea team in this thread. What a f***ing joke! You'd think they have scored 0 goals this season the way some people are going on. Yes their personnel are limited, that is pretty obvious. But I'm sure they have had better games than the one they played yesterday, hence their league position!

It's a lot of sideways passing etc..., but at least there is a decent base philosophy there! Their way of playing has kept them up at the first attempt (:lol:), and maybe they will work to improve on the personnel in the off season!

The same people branding it s*** football are also critics of Big Sam and Tony Pulis and now Rodgers! I know which I'd rather stayed in the league.

The difference between a team like swansea and a team like barca is that the barca passing has a purpose.  They're probing and using the movement of both the ball and their own players to pull the other team around and create spaces to run into for the killer pass.  Swansea on the other hand just seem to pass it for the sake of passing it, there was very little purpose in a lot of their passes except maybe to bump up their stats.

What exactly is the point of one CB passing 10 yards to the other and then him passing it back straight away when there's no opposition player anywhere near them?

f*** me is this for real? You're actually comparing the two clubs in that way?

:facepalm:

New forum trend: Swansea are s***, Barca are good. And to think most of us would have been happy with a point before the match started.

New forum trend: Swansea are s***, Barca are good. And to think most of us would have been happy with a point before the match started.

No, don't get me wrong, i'm not comparing them as teams, just the style of passing game they play and Barca were naturally the first ones that popped into my head.  They both play a passing style of football but Swansea's passing seems to be more focused on keeping the ball away from the opposition than penetrating and scoring.  You could compare them to many teams who play a passing game but a different kind of passing game.

Maybe a comparison between the Arsenal invincibles and the Arsenal side of recent years might serve better.  The invincibles played some lovely pass and move football but the passing had a penetrative purpose whereas in more recent times Arsenal have seemed to be passing it for the sake of it.  Again, it's not a great comparison but I hope it illustrates the point a little.

No, don't get me wrong, i'm not comparing them as teams, just the style of passing game they play and Barca were naturally the first ones that popped into my head.  They both play a passing style of football but Swansea's passing seems to be more focused on keeping the ball away from the opposition than penetrating and scoring.  You could compare them to many teams who play a passing game but a different kind of passing game.

Maybe a comparison between the Arsenal invincibles and the Arsenal side of recent years might serve better.  The invincibles played some lovely pass and move football but the passing had a penetrative purpose whereas in more recent times Arsenal have seemed to be passing it for the sake of it.  Again, it's not a great comparison but I hope it illustrates the point a little.

Yes, but you've got to think of it in context. From their point of view, they are a small club, first go at the big time, and now that they are here need to make the most of it. Playing their passing football the way they do is IMO primarily a form of defence. If the opposition can't get the ball off us they can't score etc..

They couldn't breach a very well disciplined and determined defensive unit yesterday, as our back 7 did not give them the space or the time, hence the sideways and backward passing. But I don't think anyone can deny that they are a well drilled side, who have played football in the right spirit all season long. They are lively and spritely, and have scored some lovely goals. They have not resorted to dirty tactics either. That's got to earn some respect IMO.

Yes, but you've got to think of it in context. From their point of view, they are a small club, first go at the big time, and now that they are here need to make the most of it. Playing their passing football the way they do is IMO primarily a form of defence. If the opposition can't get the ball off us they can't score etc..

They couldn't breach a very well disciplined and determined defensive unit yesterday, as our back 7 did not give them the space or the time, hence the sideways and backward passing. But I don't think anyone can deny that they are a well drilled side, who have played football in the right spirit all season long. They are lively and spritely, and have scored some lovely goals. They have not resorted to dirty tactics either. That's got to earn some respect IMO.

I'd agree that we can hardly blame them for playing to a style that suits them and has helped them to stay in the division. But it's not great to watch. Part of its effectiveness lies in starving the opposition of the ball, but because they're quite slow in getting it forward, we end up watching a lot of passes between the midfield and the defence. Despite the fact that they had 75% of possession, the stat for possession in the final third was fairly even.

I also wouldn't say they were a particularly 'clean' side. I felt they did a lot of diving and holding etc. They had twice as many fouls as us.