Newcastle United 2 - 0 Bolton - 09/04/12 - post-match reaction from page 46

Beren

Match of the Day ‏ @BBCMOTD

Running order for tonight's programme -Spurs v Norwich, Newcastle v Bolton, Fulham v Chelsea, Everton v Sunderland and Aston Villa v Stoke

7:52 PM - 9 Apr 12

Mackems can't even get on first when they've been spanked. :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Krul 7 - nothing outstanding but made the saves he had to. Kicking dreadful as per

Simpson 5.5 - defensively suspect and wasteful with the ball, Bolton were too poor to really punish him. A real shame as he'd been coming into some form

Williamson 7 - steady once again, has his mojo back

Coloccini 7 - like he'd never been away. Not exactly given a massive test here

Santon 6.5 - steady enough, improved with Ferguson in front of him

Gutierrez 6 - mixed bag, sometimes wasteful and occasionally excellent. Worked hard

Perch 6 - not particularly terrible but it just wasn't the game for him, an out-and-out defensive midfielder wasn't really required

Cabaye 7 - industrious and good with the ball, kept us ticking over

Ben Arfa 8 - magic goal, he ran in a straight line from his own half to score :lol: economical with the ball too

Cisse 7 - classy touches as ever, good finish too. Seems to have learned at the Leon Best school of offsides, like

Ba 6.5 - worked hard but it didn't really happen for him, correctly replaced around the hour mark

Ferguson 7 - impressive, we looked much better with him on the left. Won a lot of corners, very tidy and energetic

Shola 7 - another nice cameo, did brilliantly to beat Wheater and cross for Papiss

R.Taylor 6 - saw the game out, one fantastic cross for Cisse at the end of the game

The referee was shocking today, dunno who he was but just like Chris Foy last season he allowed Bolton (Wheater in particular) to push, pull and foul our forwards all afternoon and awarded us the sum total of fuck all in return. I was genuinely shocked he didn't pull Shola back for a foul when he beat Wheater in the lead up to the second goal. There was an incredible moment in the first half where Wheater had both arms around Cisse's neck, pulled him to the ground then headed the ball away - the referee looked at it and waved his arms as if to say 'no foul'. Completely useless.

Pardew got his subs spot on, well done to him for realising we didn't really need Perch in the centre of the park and what we really did need was some proper width to stretch the game and give Hatem some more space to work his magic. Shola for Ba was at just the right time too, and I liked that he let Hatem have some applause for that terrific goal at the end.

Just got back in, we were diabolical in the final third during the first half and majority of second.  I lost my voice over HBA's goal

Krul - 8.5 MOTM

Simpson 6.5

Willo 6.5

Collo 7.5

Santon 7

Perch 6

Cabaye 6.5

Jonas 6.5 (Should have not thrown a hissy fit, could have been worse on another day)

Ba 6

HBA 8

Cisse 8

Shola 7.5, Fergie 7, Raylor n/a

I couldn't understand why Jonas threw that hissy fit, it was a yellow card all day.

His first foul I think and Petrov was unlikely to get the ball had he went down or not.

It was tough breaking Bolton down, as they put 10 men behind the ball for most of the match, but Ben Arfa's goal was worth the admission money alone. Can't wait to see how it looked on MOTD because it looked fucking awesome at the ground.

We missed Tiote today btw. Perch is a decent and honest backup in terms of getting in the way, but he's not in the same league as a footballer. A certain someone on here would have everyone believe that Tiote is only a destroyer but his spreading of play, short passing and willingness to accept and shield the ball is very underrated. As a result, Cabaye was much deeper than recently (including even the game against Swansea) as he simply couldn't trust Perch to hold the fort alone against a team with five in midfield. Presumably Pardew recognised this too and it was a tactical thing. Either way, it didn't work too well and not a great deal changed when Taylor was on.

Why are there no pictures of the group hug after the 2nd goal? Starting to think I imagined it.

We missed Tiote today btw. Perch is a decent and honest backup in terms of getting in the way, but he's not in the same league as a footballer. A certain someone on here would have everyone believe that Tiote is only a destroyer but his spreading of play, short passing and willingness to accept and shield the ball is very underrated. As a result, Cabaye was much deeper than recently (including even the game against Swansea) as he simply couldn't trust Perch to hold the fort alone against a team with five in midfield. Presumably Pardew recognised this too and it was a tactical thing. Either way, it didn't work too well.

Very much so, seemed to me that Pardew decided that it wasn't possible to play through Bolton's 3 man centre midfield with the players we had on the pitch so decided to give us a bit more width and energy. Don't think Perch did an awful lot wrong but Cabaye was sitting in front of the back 4 to try and get on the ball and it made Perch a bit redundant.

Tiotés injuries this season is hopefully nothing we have to get used to (if he stays). Really gives us another dimension and bosses most midfields he's up against. Frustrating in the same way you - at times - wondered how we'd fare with Kieron Dyer.

Guest Phil K

The gritted teeth response of Hansen and Lawro to the question "You were both "no way !" when mentioning Newcastle as C.L. candidates last week, what about now ?"  :iamatwat:

Ferguson had a really good game today. Him and Shola essentially won us the game - Ferguson's persistence and energy down the left gave Hatem the space to work some magic and Shola for Ba freshened things up at just the right moment. Good subs and well timed from Pards.

LeazesTerrace on Twitter is trying to tell me it was 4-3-3 first half. Tell me I'm not going mad, but it was a flat 4-4-2 for the whole game wasn't it? Only with Jonas in CM for Perch and Fergie on the left in the 2nd half.

LeazesTerrace on Twitter is trying to tell me it was 4-3-3 first half. Tell me I'm not going mad, but it was a flat 4-4-2 for the whole game wasn't it? Only with Jonas in CM for Perch and Fergie on the left in the 2nd half.

If it was 4-3-3 neither Ba nor Cisse were on the left side of that front 3. Jonas was definitely the most left sided in the first half, then it was basic 4-4-2 second half as you described.