Flash in the pan or here for good?

Guest sicko2ndbest
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Deluded mag cunt

But seriously, I agree with the "accepting 8th" part. Going to be very tough to replicate last season with more games, (hopefully due to progress in Europa League and other cup runs). I also think he makes a good point about the lads having another year together, that can only help.

as much as i like what pardew does with the team, i just wish he'd shut up as his press stuff always stirs shit up needlessly.

Is that implying I shouldn't have posted it for discussion?

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/07/12/newcastle-manager-dampens-down-expectations-72703-31377457/

If we improve and these guys get another year under their belts together, there's no reason why we can't do the same - if not better. I don't want to raise unexpected expectations. I think our fans would honestly accept eighth, though I don't think they'd want us to finish lower. That would be a decent season, but wouldn't it be great if we could get in the top four, so that's where we've got to aim. Where we fall will probably depend on injuries, form and a little bit of luck.

Thoughts?

Can't argue with any of that. Spot on.

I honestly think it's spot on.  With the added European competition (if we get through the qualifier) 8th is realistic in my eyes. If we get more people in and hit lucky with injuries, perhaps further up the league.

as much as i like what pardew does with the team, i just wish he'd shut up as his press stuff always stirs shit up needlessly.

Saying lower than 8th would be a poor season, in fact it's possible that with a bit of luck on the pitch and with injuries we could have another go at the top 4... is stirring shit up? Seriously?

I know it's only a couple of places different but I think seventh or even sixth rather than eighth should be the aim. Seventh with a good run in the cups would be 'a decent season' as Pardew puts it IMO. I think it would be a disappointment to finish behind two of Liverpool/Everton/Fulham considering how far in front of them we were this season gone and how much that should have given us to build on.

And also when considering how often they tell us how well the club is running financially. There's no reason to have to lose any of our best players unless there's a stupid bid and/or they want to go. We have an excellent core of players already here, and whilst I'm not expecting us to be as consistent as we were this season just gone (or some of the other clubs to be as crap), we shouldn't be dropping off that far. If we do then something's wrong.

Don't wanna be accused of delusion but I'd not be pleased with 8th. This team is better than that, especially with additions.

For me it really depend on the additions we get.

As we have a limited squad, PL, Europe, hopefully a decent cup run, ANC etc will take a toll on our squad.

We need 3-4 quality players in, to have a chance to compete on all fronts.

Also, say we have a decent run in Europe and finish 8th in the league - where does that leave us? Without Europe the following year, it quickens the process of this squad being split up.

Our ultimate aim is to eventually get back in the Champions League, so we'd need to be capable of juggling competitions like those teams do.

Guest Roger Kint

Don't wanna be accused of delusion but I'd not be pleased with 8th. This team is better than that, especially with additions.

You have no idea what injuries and cup runs could do though. All he is saying is 8th is the lowest we would accept and he wants higher, cant see how you find an issue there tbh.

Apart from the line about us "honestly" accepting eighth, it looks like his quotes are fairly positive. Considering a lot of people, including me, think we're only 2-3 bodies away from being a hell of a team, if anything he's slightly playing down our potential while hinting we could still push on. I'd assume the eighth place finish would be complemented by a long run in the waffa/domestic cups in his mind though.

No manager ever makes overly optimistic statements about his expectations. Make a modest statement and it is easy to achieve it or better it.

Make brash statements and you're making a rod for your own back. In that context Pardew has spoken wisely, although privately I'm sure he'll be disappointed to finish lower than 6th. As always, luck,injuries, cup runs and other unknown variables will impact.

Although I didn't expect to finish 5th last season (nor did I expect us to struggle or be relegated as some did), in the final analysis it was well deserved, certainly no fluke.

We have some exceptional players (top four quality), a reasonable squad which will hopefully be strengthened before kick off and some very talented but generally untried youngsters in the background.

I'd be disappointed with anything below 8th, satisfied with 7th or 8th, happy with 5th or 6th and ecstatic at anything above that.

I'd be a little disappointed with 8th as I don't think that any teams outside of Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City, Man United and Spurs should be finishing ahead of us.  7th I'd be happy with if we had a decent cup run as well.

No manager ever makes overly optimistic statements about his expectations.

AVB said he wanted to bring the title to Spurs in his first press conference. :lol: And that they were going to win the Fa Cup, League Cup and Europa League.

He's not that good with the press imo. He contradicts himself a few times there which suggests there is a public target and an in-house target.

Top 6 should be the aim. There's very few teams outside the top 6 who can realistically challenge for it and we have/will have a better squad than probably 14 or 15 teams.

Fuck off with accepting 8th. Players like Ba, Cisse, HBA, Cabaye, Tiote, Colo, Santon and Krul are much better than EIGHTH! Finish 8th and we'll probably lose most of those fuckers.

Pardew's just covering his arse, I reckon. I hope he's not feeling some sort of pressure. (Not the pressure of finishing higher than last season, btw. But I don't know why we should accept anything lower than 6th-7th.)