Flash in the pan or here for good?

Guest sicko2ndbest
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

f*** off with accepting 8th. Players like Ba, Cisse, HBA, Cabaye, Tiote, Colo, Santon and Krul are much better than EIGHTH! Finish 8th and we'll probably lose most of those fuckers.

Pardew's just covering his arse, I reckon. I hope he's not feeling some sort of pressure. (Not the pressure of finishing higher than last season, btw. But I don't know why we should accept anything lower than 6th-7th.)

Is the exact type of attitude he is trying to escape.

I think it's about spot on attitude, clubs around us are strengthening and we're going to have a lot of games ahead of us, getting to 5th again is not going to be easy and pushing into the top 4 is hard, not saying we can't do it at all, would be very sad for 8th but we have pushed into that top third of teams and nothing is guaranteed. That said I'd love us to show the same spirit as last season and push on, if we can come back and win a few games after going a goal down would be good. I think we could well get into Europe, but the pressure off attitude helped us so much last season, no reason to lose that now.

f*** off with accepting 8th. Players like Ba, Cisse, HBA, Cabaye, Tiote, Colo, Santon and Krul are much better than EIGHTH! Finish 8th and we'll probably lose most of those fuckers.

Pardew's just covering his arse, I reckon. I hope he's not feeling some sort of pressure. (Not the pressure of finishing higher than last season, btw. But I don't know why we should accept anything lower than 6th-7th.)

I agree with 6th-7th, but saying "players like" is instructive. Isn't the worry that you only have those players at that level (and not enough more "players like"), and over a whole season with injuries, suspensions, Europe and the like that may cause problems?

That said, we'd expect Man U, Man C, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs to be the top five based on the last few years (and money). We'd expect Liverpool to challenge, based on money. One of that top five might struggle (possibly us, in transition), and anything could happen with Liverpool, so I think your ceiling this year will be fifth. I reckon you can still add Everton to make eight, but just don't see anyone else mounting a consistent challenge. Eighth should be your minimum, not because your players are much better than eighth, but because nobody else is that great and the top sides have better squads.

I'd be a little disappointed with 8th as I don't think that any teams outside of Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City, Man United and Spurs should be finishing ahead of us.  7th I'd be happy with if we had a decent cup run as well.

This is how I see it...the question is going to be will Liverpool rebound, and will Spurs/Arsenal be as good as last time. So I think that anything between 5-7 would be fine.

Based on squad's I'd expect City to be duking it out with Chelsea for the title if the latter continue their spending spree and shore up their defence, but every year one looks at Man U and thinks mmmmm and they fail to fall away, Kagawa is a good improvement and Vidic will be back so that will probably be the top 3.

Next 3 positions are vital for us as essentially it's us, Arsenal spurs and maybe liverpool, all of which would be foolish to dismiss, still can see Rodgers making Liverpool even more likely to draw every game so dunno if they'll really push on. Arsenal could go either way, think without Van Persie they may struggle but Giroud is a decent signing, less sure about Podolski but can see them gaining some traction with a more pragmatic style, if they can get M'Vila they'll be alright but doubt they'll get in top 4 again.

Spurs are an unknown quantity atm, good players though, AVB may show why he's rated or be terrible again. Depends on if players sign up to the project.

I agree with 6th-7th, but saying "players like" is instructive. Isn't the worry that you only have those players at that level (and not enough more "players like"), and over a whole season with injuries, suspensions, Europe and the like that may cause problems?

That said, we'd expect Man U, Man C, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs to be the top five based on the last few years (and money). We'd expect Liverpool to challenge, based on money. One of that top five might struggle (possibly us, in transition), and anything could happen with Liverpool, so I think your ceiling this year will be fifth. I reckon you can still add Everton to make eight, but just don't see anyone else mounting a consistent challenge. Eighth should be your minimum, not because your players are much better than eighth, but because nobody else is that great and the top sides have better squads.

Fair enough assessment.

There are so many little leagues within the league now, realistically only Manure, Chealsea and Manshitty are capable of winning the title in my book. Arsenal, Liverpool and Spuds are capable of finishing in a CL spot and Everton and ourselves are threats to mix it up a bit and make the UEFA spots. The rest of the teams are mid table/relegation fodder.

So based on that if we do not make the top 8 next season, that should be regarded as a big failure.

Fair enough assessment.

There are so many little leagues within the league now, realistically only Manure, Chealsea and Manshitty are capable of winning the title in my book. Arsenal, Liverpool and Spuds are capable of finishing in a CL spot and Everton and ourselves are threats to mix it up a bit and make the UEFA spots. The rest of the teams are mid table/relegation fodder.

So based on that if we do not make the top 8 next season, that should be regarded as a big failure.

The dangers are that you will no longer be a surprise package, the smaller squad, and other commitments (basically, Europe). The advantages are that you could argue Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool - and maybe even Arsenal - are in transition.

I'm just trying to keep my expectations down, and shitting myself about whether AVB is going to be a huge mistake or a genius move. I think that for us, finishing below fifth would be a problem unless the top six were very close, and we looked like a coherent unit. Finishing seventh or eighth (or worse) would be very disappointing.

Can't see alot wrong with what he's saying. He's keeping his feet on the ground, compensating for us playing extra games and the chances of last season possibly being a one-off.

I'd be satisfied with 8th, with a cup/Europe run, if we were to push for top 6 the season after.

Can't see alot wrong with what he's saying. He's keeping his feet on the ground, compensating for us playing extra games and the chances of last season possibly being a one-off.

I'd be satisfied with 8th, with a cup/Europe run, if we were to push for top 6 the season after.

Thats exactly what he's doing, whats the point coming out saying we must finish 6th. All its doing is putting pressure on the players/small squad. He's clearly doing it to protect them and take the pressure off.

Thats exactly what he's doing, whats the point coming out saying we must finish 6th. All its doing is putting pressure on the players/small squad. He's clearly doing it to protect them and take the pressure off.

You missed these bits...

"If we improve and these guys get another year under their belts together, there's no reason why we can't do the same - if not better.

but wouldn't it be great if we could get in the top four, so that's where we've got to aim."

Nowt wrong with what Pardew's said there like. A minimum of 8th would be okay but I do actually want us to challenge for the top 6/7 - I certainly hope we're amongst it for most of the season.

Have no problem with Pardew's quotes for a change.

7th or 8th works for me if we reach the semi finals / further in one or two of the cups.  The trophy monkey's been on our back for far too long, needs sorted and if we get to that stage then I'd back us against most teams in a one off game.  Fucking dying to see us win something basically and we completely write off the cups far too often.  43 years without a trophy is ridiculous for a club of our size, hell I'd be more than happy with bottom half if we won the FA Cup or Europa League.  Although that might not represent progress to some I personally think it could be the start of us picking up the odd trophy here and there much like Liverpool or Spurs have over the last 20-odd years, while we've had some amazing league campaigns (and watched some pure shite as well) over the same period of time.

Absolutely me too. But if the likes of Fulham, the Mackems, Stoke, West Ham or Villa finish ahead of us I will be disappointed, Europe or no Europe.

I'm sorry but "settling" for 8th is pessimistic as fuck. 7th at the very least should be the goal. Look at last season, and look at the players. Then compare to other teams in and around 7th place. I'm not having the; "but what if we the squad is to thin?". I'm sure Pardew doesn't just ship players out/release players without thinking of the consequences. My one and only worry atm if aiming for minimum 7th is the CB situation. That is if the situation is the same 31th of August. Everybody chill the fuck out. The silver fox is cunning.

• 2 weeks later...

8th with a good cup run or two (and by that I mean the Semis of a competition) and I'd take it. Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal & Spurs will still be stronger, Liverpool could go either way, and you have to think that Everton will do well given how they finished last year (and no European distraction).

That's not to say I don't think we're capable of top 6 because I think we are, but it would be understandable if we finish around 8th.

Don't wanna be accused of delusion but I'd not be pleased with 8th. This team is better than that, especially with additions.

You have no idea what injuries and cup runs could do though. All he is saying is 8th is the lowest we would accept and he wants higher, cant see how you find an issue there tbh.

Have to agree with Roger, here. 8th and a cup final appearance/return to Wembley would be a fantastic season.

Given that we're going to be playing in Europe for the first time in eons, with a squad that isn't loaded with experience of playing Thurs/Sun for large chunks of the season, we could find ourselves stretched which will cost us points.

To be frank, we over-preformed and our rivals under-preformed last year. Tottenham and Chelsea all underwent irregular mid-season crises. We won't be able to count on that happening again.

Over our two meetings last season I honestly think Spurs showed that they have a far stronger squad than we do, and although they're 'probably' losing Modric I still think there's a long way to go before we can think of them as direct rivals.

Chelsea didn't, but they've spent massively this year and any sane person would expect them to finish significantly above us on the table.

Plus, we'll have the distraction of a European campaign to contend with this time.

I'm not saying we should just accept mediocrity, but I just think we should temper expectations a bit and not panic at the end of the season just because we're 8th or something. Progress shouldn't always be measured solely on results, and we may actually have put ourselves in a stronger position despite not finishing as high on the table.

Have no problem with Pardew's quotes for a change.

7th or 8th works for me if we reach the semi finals / further in one or two of the cups.  The trophy monkey's been on our back for far too long, needs sorted and if we get to that stage then I'd back us against most teams in a one off game.  Fucking dying to see us win something basically and we completely write off the cups far too often.  43 years without a trophy is ridiculous for a club of our size, hell I'd be more than happy with bottom half if we won the FA Cup or Europa League.  Although that might not represent progress to some I personally think it could be the start of us picking up the odd trophy here and there much like Liverpool or Spurs have over the last 20-odd years, while we've had some amazing league campaigns (and watched some pure shite as well) over the same period of time.

Pretty much this.

However if not, providing we're in the mix for a European place come the last month or so of the season in some way or form I'm not overly arsed but I'd expect us to be around 6-8th with the scousers.

Our team is strong as we showed last season but our squad is far too weak (atm - weaker than last season where we were already stretched at times) to suggest we can finish any higher.