Josep "Pep" Guardiola i Sala

HawK

Guest neesy111

What are the chances on Pep taking over the Spanish national side should Del Bosque leave after the Euros?

Slim.

Extremely surprised they've put Tito Vilanova in place for next season.

Looking after it until Pep's finished with his holidays.

Vilanova  :yikes:

It guess it helps the transition, but promoting assistants doesn't often work (Roeder, Terry Connor etc).

Guardiola was similarly appointed from within.

Guest neesy111

It guess it helps the transition, but promoting assistants doesn't often work (Roeder, Terry Connor etc).

It did for Mourinho, AVB etc.

It did for Mourinho, AVB etc.

Yeah but their first jobs were at new clubs, whilst this is from within. I know it worked with Guardiola but it feels like the exception to the rule.

Wish Bielsa got it :(

Guest Craig-NUFC

Villanova v Mourinho rivalry is going to be even more intense than Guardiola v Mourinho

Can see it now, Barca beating Madrid, with Villanova celebrating by returning the eye gouge he received from Mourinho.

Guest neesy111

This is the strain the job has had on Guardiola's face:

http://cms.442.haymarketnetwork.com/contentimages/blog/pep-guardiola-aging.jpg

Good luck to Vilanova. He has some massive shoes to fill but with the likes of Xavi, Messi, Iniesta still there (and players he already knows), he does have the resources to succeed. Barça still need a proper striker though, they have really missed Villa.

Surprised to see Vilanova appointed. I thought his health problems would have prevented it.

It makes sense, in the way he's played a big part in designing the system together with Guardiola, and knows all the players so the transition should be smooth. But he's always looked more like the gray eminence behind a great manager than a guy that would thrive in the spotlight.

Surprised to see Vilanova appointed. I thought his health problems would have prevented it.

It makes sense, in the way he's played a big part in designing the system together with Guardiola, and knows all the players so the transition should be smooth. But he's always looked more like the gray eminence behind a great manager than a guy that would thrive in the spotlight.

It's always hard to tell with the assistants, coaches etc what they will turn out like. You just have to assume those that appointed him see great things from him and Pep seems to think he has what it takes. Time will tell anyway.

Good luck to Vilanova. He has some massive shoes to fill but with the likes of Xavi, Messi, Iniesta still there (and players he already knows), he does have the resources to succeed. Barça still need a proper striker though, they have really missed Villa.

Half the defence needs fixing too id argue with Abidal's unfortunate health issues and Puyol getting on.

He's already been manager of some of our youth teams (among others, he managed the youth team that contained Messi, Cesc and Piqué that won every winnable youth trophy), so he has some experience of being the main man, in a way.

His biggest asset is the fact the players know and respect him, and won't try to upset the applecart too much.

We need at least an LB and a CB in, and after the end of the season I agree we need a proper striker. But don't think we can afford so many players, at least big profile ones.

Definitely. What's your views on Dani Alves VI? He's a great player on his day but I notice he seems to have more 'off' days than most others for Barca.And when he does it really impacts the team.

We need at least an LB and a CB in, and after the end of the season I agree we need a proper striker. But don't think we can afford so many players, at least big profile ones.

Definitely. What's your views on Dani Alves VI? He's a great player on his day but I notice he seems to have more 'off' days than most others for Barca.And when he does it really impacts the team.

I think Alves has been unfortunate in some of Pep's tactics, he is an attacking fullback most dangerous when attacking from full back. This season has seen him deployed higher up the pitch and I don't think this suits his game as well, but I suppose if teams are going to sit deep this is going to happen.