Josep "Pep" Guardiola i Sala

HawK

To me, he has made his mind for a while and was just waiting until making it public wouldn't hurt the team (in this case, once we already lost the league and the CL :lol:).

Pep is quite special, he is very stubborn in his principles which sometimes works against him. I do think he believes that leaving is the best for Barça, because he probably thinks he's ran his course as our manager. I don't think he's right, but he probably does believe it. Reminds me when he asked to be sold, shocked everyone at the time but at the time he also said it was best for both club and player.

It's going to be cold out there without him, but I was very gloomy when Rijkaard was sacked and an unexperienced local legend appointed instead. Who knows, we might make the right appointment again.

Luis Enrique? :troll:

Told a mate the other night Pep would leave and Bielsa would come in.

Pep's lost the plot at times this season.  3 at the back, starting inexperienced youngsters in the 3 biggest games of the season all in 1 week.

Bringing on Keita on tuesday night when you need a goal with 15 minutes left and leaving Pedro on the bench was insane.

To me, he has made his mind for a while and was just waiting until making it public wouldn't hurt the team (in this case, once we already lost the league and the CL :lol:).

Pep is quite special, he is very stubborn in his principles which sometimes works against him. I do think he believes that leaving is the best for Barça, because he probably thinks he's ran his course as our manager. I don't think he's right, but he probably does believe it. Reminds me when he asked to be sold, shocked everyone at the time but at the time he also said it was best for both club and player.

It's going to be cold out there without him, but I was very gloomy when Rijkaard was sacked and an unexperienced local legend appointed instead. Who knows, we might make the right appointment again.

Isn't he doing allright at Roma?

Think Mou would have him for dinner over here though, too hot-headed.

Pep's lost the plot at times this season.  3 at the back, starting inexperienced youngsters in the 3 biggest games of the season all in 1 week.

Bringing on Keita on tuesday night when you need a goal with 15 minutes left and leaving Pedro on the bench was insane.

He's always done weird lineups, it's nothing new. Most of the times they have paid off. Playing Pedro, Busquets, etc... in big games was met with the same raising of eyebrows (particularly remember how he was berated for benching Yayá in favor Busquets - not that Yayá wasn't a great player in the slightest) and they have went to become key to us.

But it's true that we have had more instances of "bad Barça" this season than we used to, the whole pass it around with nothing happening thing. But then again, we still have had some magnificent games: Leverkusen at home, Valencia at home, Bernabéu in the league, Santos at the CWC...

Isn't he doing allright at Roma?

Think Mou would have him for dinner over here though, too hot-headed.

They've been very inconsistent and he's getting a bit of criticism. But I think he's doing a decent, to be fair.

He's always done weird lineups, it's nothing new. Most of the times they have paid off. Playing Pedro, Busquets, etc... in big games was met with the same raising of eyebrows (particularly remember how he was berated for benching Yayá in favor Busquets - not that Yayá wasn't a great player in the slightest) and they have went to become key to us.

But it's true that we have had more instances of "bad Barça" this season than we used to, the whole pass it around with nothing happening thing. But then again, we still have had some magnificent games: Leverkusen at home, Valencia at home, Bernabéu in the league, Santos at the CWC...

Think his reliance on the youngsters to perform at this stage of the season was pretty silly this time though, considering the task at hand.

Wonder if Enrique is regretting not hanging on at Barca B for one more season before looking for a top flight job elsehwhere.

What are Pep's strengths (and weaknesses) as a manager?

Genuine question as I don't watch Barcelona a lot except the odd CL-game.

Kinda curious as a lot of people keep saying "well anyone can do that! (Manage Barca and win what he's won)

What are Pep's strengths (and weaknesses) as a manager?

Genuine question as I don't watch Barcelona a lot except the odd CL-game.

Kinda curious as a lot of people keep saying "well anyone can do that! (Manage Barca and win what he's won)

This pretty much sums it up.

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/9315/25hd8ag.png

:bluestar:

this season think the general feeling is his desire to keep tweaking and changing the formula let him down a bit (lets not forget still won most games and got to CL semi final), but trying to bring new players into the side that swept all before them last season seems to have lost the balance they had. 3 at the back hasn't worked out for them as hoped and they are narrow and predictable in attack. Losing Eto was ridiculous, and they do still need a out and out goalscorer since Villa got injured (he was out of form anyway wasn't he?) Sanchez who plays as their forward a lot is there to give space to messi behind him, that's what the team is built around, as Pep considered him the only completely unstoppable player.

However when the team isn't quite working Messi still isn't enough, they lack a plan b, not necessarily a huge striker to lob balls up to, just someone whose going to shoot and score from outside the box. Guardiola maybe is too puritanica potentially about his style? Well anyway fantastic coach. Nobody can keep it up forever. Except pards *fingers crossed*

this season think the general feeling is his desire to keep tweaking and changing the formula let him down a bit (lets not forget still won most games and got to CL semi final), but trying to bring new players into the side that swept all before them last season seems to have lost the balance they had. 3 at the back hasn't worked out for them as hoped and they are narrow and predictable in attack. Losing Eto was ridiculous, and they do still need a out and out goalscorer since Villa got injured (he was out of form anyway wasn't he?) Sanchez who plays as their forward a lot is there to give space to messi behind him, that's what the team is built around, as Pep considered him the only completely unstoppable player.

However when the team isn't quite working Messi still isn't enough, they lack a plan b, not necessarily a huge striker to lob balls up to, just someone whose going to shoot and score from outside the box. Guardiola maybe is too puritanica potentially about his style? Well anyway fantastic coach. Nobody can keep it up forever. Except pards *fingers crossed*

Spot on actually. When things click, Barcelona is awesome. But when they don't they just don't have a Plan B and that was awfully obvious against Chelsea. They just kept passing the ball in front of Chelsea's 9 man wall and occasionally tries to penetrate through some intricate one-twos but they had nothing else in their armory. Was also quite surprised that bar Messi's shot against the post, nobody else was shooting from distance. Surely that would have been worth a shot given that their passing game was not getting them anywhere. It's like the whole team has been so well drilled with tiki taka passing to the extent that they became robots and were not able to adapt/react to Chelsea's defensive game plan. They kept on doing the same thing over and over until the final whistle.

Wasn't sure if I was watching Barcelona or Swansea in that game against Chelsea  :lol:

Even if they didn't score a long shot, if they threatened to shoot chelsea players would have had to close them down just that extra few yards of space that messi could exploit behind. Chelsea knew they wouldn't shoot though and so could hang back a bit and block the runs.

Guest Tyson

Spot on actually. When things click, Barcelona is awesome. But when they don't they just don't have a Plan B and that was awfully obvious against Chelsea. They just kept passing the ball in front of Chelsea's 9 man wall and occasionally tries to penetrate through some intricate one-twos but they have nothing else in their armory. Was also quite surprised that bar Messi's shot against the post, nobody else was shooting from distance. Surely that would have been worth a shot given that their passing game was not getting them anywhere. It's like the likes whole team has been so well drilled with tiki taka passing to the extent that they became robots and were not able to adapt/react to Chelsea's defensive game plan. They kept on doing the same thing over and over until the final whistle.

Wasn't sure if I was watching Barcelona or Swansea in that game against Chelsea  :lol:

That's what Yaya Toure brought to the mix. He'll instinctively shoot the trigger, when given half a chance. A big miss.

Guest Tyson

Even if they didn't score a long shot, if they threatened to shoot chelsea players would have had to close them down just that extra few yards of space that messi could exploit behind. Chelsea knew they wouldn't shoot though and so could hang back a bit and block the runs.

Creating space for Messi's little diagonal runs off-the-ball.

Guest neesy111

Barcelona have missed David Villa so badly this 2nd half.  They would have scored at least 1 more goal v Chelsea if he had been playing instead of one of the youngsters.

They need a better defence as well, the defending for all of Chelsea's goals against them was awful.