Wigan Athletic 4 - 0 Newcastle United - 28/04/12 - post-match reaction from pg48

Dave

The safe bet would be Ben Arfa's rating.

Not just Ben Arfa's but that's one of the main problems. Anybody who thinks Williamson and Simpson were better than Colo watched the game with their eyes closed.

Guest Tyson

Fair play to Wigan. They played some great stuff, and they had a hot-day in front of goal. Definitely ambushed us with their pressure. Can't help but think there was a dose of Billy Bignuts fever in the team as well - looking at Simpson in particular ie. Manyoo Academy Graduate who thinks he's already made it.

I'm not a fan of going three at the back when you've got two incredibly weak links (Williamson & Simpson) as part up the set-up. It's a train wreck waiting to happen having that spread of inabilty further compressed into a narrower corridor, and it dilutes the defensive influence of the unit's normally best player (Collocini).

One of the best 3-man rearguards (used weekly) from recent times was Man City's, under Keegan. But as part of it they had two very good lynchpins to make it work, in the form of Distin and Van Buyten (during his loan, very mobile for a 6ft 6'er).

Just have to say we got it wrong, although the way Wigan are playing who knows if a change in the tactics would of done much better. Martinez has had them playing decent stuff most of the season tbh, just hasn't been getting results until now. Credit to him and Wigan. Glad to see wee Maloney doing well, really good player but far too injury prone.

Let's hope we are set-up better against Chelsea or else it's going to be a shit few days for us.

Hate this place, but keep returning for defeat after defeat. Hate their flatpack stadium. Hate their pathetic goal music and their pathetic fans who stoop so low as to sing a premiership rivals name when trying to taunt us by singing Sunderland. I'm not bitter in the least.

We went there complacent and unprepared for me and got what we deserved. We were 3 down before we even realised what was going on and then the game was gone. It didn't help that every Wigan shot seemed to go in like, but to be honest the first half was a shambles. I just hope it gives us a bit of a wake up call for the last few games because these last 3 are going to be even tougher.

MotM for me were the crowd.