Wigan Athletic 4 - 0 Newcastle United - 28/04/12 - post-match reaction from pg48

Dave

Have to say, matching their formation (in the process throwing Simpson into the centre and Santon all the way across to the right) was an absolutely baffling decision.

I could kind of see the idea, but it's not something you do 20 minutes into a match - especially when it was still 'only' 2-0.

We were on the back foot so I could see why Pardew decided to change it there and then. Wigan had so much more width than we did so I guess Pardew wanted to shut down the threat from the wings.

Which is fair enough, but I can think of a better way of doing it than switching the LB to RB mid-game and pulling a midfielder into LB.

They looked lost. There was a moment in the box between Santon and Simpson where they didn't know who was supposed to defending what :lol:

To an extent aye but we had to do something, we were being battered. Considering Santon has played on the wing before in his career, I guess you could say that he was the logical choice to put there...

Right that was horrible, it was clear the pressure of being clear in 4th got to the players......

Genuinely think Pards should have continued to play CL down and keep the pressure down on the players, similar how Mancini is doing with City and the title.

On to the game, i dont think it was the battering that the scoreline suggests.... Wigan took like every chance they had more or less and we missed 5 or 6 chances during the game.... it was just a case of Wigan taking thiers and us not taking ours.

Although our chances seem to come from nothing and we didnt play very at all.

Think 4th might be gone now, but i still believe none the less and its a good thing we play Chelsea on Wednesday as the players can get this out of the system as quickly as possible.

Another thing that said pressure that we clearly wilted under today wont be there against Chelsea as Chelsea will be expected to win, hopefully the players take advantage.

Bad day at the office, lets not let this mask what has been and will still be a fantastic season.

HWTL !

Credit to Wigan. They have looked like world beaters in some of their recent games against all the so called top sides. They deserve to stay up on current form, we shouldnt be too surprised at being their latest victims.

We can bounce back next week.

Credit to Wigan. They have looked like world beaters in some of their recent games against all the so called top sides. They deserve to stay up on current form, we shouldnt be too surprised at being their latest victims.

It must be annoying for a Wigan fan though, knowing they can play like that then for 3/4s of the year just being a bit boring. If they could do that with any kind of consistency they'd be where we are.

It must be annoying for a Wigan fan though, knowing they can play like that then for 3/4s of the year just being a bit boring. If they could do that with any kind of consistency they'd be where we are.

What, 4th? Wouldn't go that far like. Plus their team gets robbed of its best players every summer.

What, 4th? Wouldn't go that far like. Plus their team gets robbed of its best players every summer.

Well I think that their team gets robbed every summer is why they can't play with that kind of consistency

Certainly doesn't help.

It doesn't, when you want to build a squad to challenge for things, but you have to wonder how the same set of players seem to be pulling this off.

There was an interview after the match with one of the Wigan players and he was asked about this, his answer - long silence then muttered something about how the work rate has improved.

It just doesn't sit right with me.

We switched off for a good 30 minutes and got punished severely, much like the games against Spurs and Fulham.

Considering what's at stake it's unbelievable how lethargic we looked. We looked tired, sluggish. No movement into space when we had the ball which results in backwards passes and a lack of tempo, and not enough chasing when we lost it. Let's hope it's just an off day and gives the players a kick up the arse. Only positive is we responded well in the second half and should have scored at least a couple. Ben Arfa was at the centre of everything we created until he was subbed off, he was about the only good performance we had today.

All eyes on Spurs v Blackburn now to assess the damage.

Guest Spiria

Hard fall from the team.

Wigan plays well but we could have 1 or 2 goals if the post where higher xD

The only reason I see for Pardew to sub HBA is that he wants so much to take the team into the match that he riks an injury. I don't think we need an injured HBA now especially with the Chelsea game. Hope that the sub frustrates HBA so much that he will destroy Chelsea.

Guest hobshobs

Much as I love him, that was a major rick from Coloccini for their second goal. I would hate to see the reaction if one of our lesser lights had done that. If we'd managed to stabilise after the first then the game may have played out differently. As it was, it was two goals in two minutes and we were all over the place.

Spot on, you could say the same for the fourth, Tiote far too slow to get across and close down.

Guest pont-toon

Much as I love him, that was a major rick from Coloccini for their second goal. I would hate to see the reaction if one of our lesser lights had done that. If we'd managed to stabilise after the first then the game may have played out differently. As it was, it was two goals in two minutes and we were all over the place.

Spot on, you could say the same for the fourth, Tiote far too slow to get across and close down.

they closed us down quickly and pressed us when we had the ball and we didnt do the same to them. They took their chances, we didnt. Fair play to Wigan they did a proper job on us. Lets hope we learn from the performance.

they closed us down quickly and pressed us when we had the ball and we didnt do the same to them. They took their chances, we didnt. Fair play to Wigan they did a proper job on us. Lets hope we learn from the performance.

Good call, and we have learned from shitty performances in the past so lets hope we do again.