Wigan Athletic 4 - 0 Newcastle United - 28/04/12 - post-match reaction from pg48

Dave

Seems weird that I should be more gutted with today. Reality is, given our season so far, I can take this on the chin and keep grinning.

Beaten well off a team at home, who've also beaten alot of big teams recently.

It was a disappointing result today no doubt, but this was against the same team who deservedly defeated Manchester United at home and away to Liverpool and Arsenal, and given the way the team have responded to set backs so far this season (Spurs and Fulham away, Swansea and West Brom at home), it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility to get decent results out of the remaining three games. And even if we don't pick up another point this season, we'll still have finished the season in no lower than 6th position and european football assured with games to spare.

Given the season began to a backdrop of negativity and uncertainty (Jose and co leaving, written off by various pundits) and having to cope without one of our first choice centre-halves since December, it's been a tremendous season and frankly one to leave you proud to be an NUFC supporter.

Would put this down as a very bad day at the office.

Doesn't mean you can just ignore your obviously major deficiencies today but equally it has certainly not been the norm for you this season. Wigan obviously had everything go for them today (Di Santo ffs :lol: ). Apparently you hit the bar twice in the 2nd half - were there any positives?

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/19603764.jpg

:lol: Good, but..

...At least have the decency to make it into a proper f***ing meme we can all play with. Dick. :rolleyes:

:memelol:

Eh? It is :lol: That's where I found it in the first place :laugh:

Guest hobshobs

Much as I love him, that was a major rick from Coloccini for their second goal. I would hate to see the reaction if one of our lesser lights had done that. If we'd managed to stabilise after the first then the game may have played out differently. As it was, it was two goals in two minutes and we were all over the place.

Spot on, you could say the same for the fourth, Tiote far too slow to get across and close down.

they closed us down quickly and pressed us when we had the ball and we didnt do the same to them. They took their chances, we didnt. Fair play to Wigan they did a proper job on us. Lets hope we learn from the performance.

Good call, and we have learned from shitty performances in the past so lets hope we do again.

The trouble is we don't seem to be learning, that's four MAJOR (45 minute capitulations) in two seasons. 4-0 down at half time, home to Arsenal last season, 4-0 down to Tottenham half time this season, lost 5 goals to Fulham in the second half this season. 4-0 down at half time today.

Much as I love him, that was a major rick from Coloccini for their second goal. I would hate to see the reaction if one of our lesser lights had done that. If we'd managed to stabilise after the first then the game may have played out differently. As it was, it was two goals in two minutes and we were all over the place.

Spot on, you could say the same for the fourth, Tiote far too slow to get across and close down.

they closed us down quickly and pressed us when we had the ball and we didnt do the same to them. They took their chances, we didnt. Fair play to Wigan they did a proper job on us. Lets hope we learn from the performance.

Good call, and we have learned from shitty performances in the past so lets hope we do again.

The trouble is we don't seem to be learning, that's four MAJOR (45 minute capitulations) in two seasons. 4-0 down at half time, home to Arsenal last season, 4-0 down to Tottenham half time this season, lost 5 goals to Fulham in the second half this season. 4-0 down at half time today.

I think this comes from the fact that our back four individually isn't great.

Simpson and Williamson are massive confidence players and when low on confidence, are almost useless.

Santon is new to the country and new to defending and therefore can slump a bit too.

Better defenders and this won't happen.

Guest neesy111

Simpson is a diabolical full back.

I've goy say Cheik has been average for most of the season and we aint missed him much when he has been out tbh.

the players played like they were saving themselves for a cup final versus chelsea, whilst forgetting  we needed the 3 points vs wigan. hence the lack of injuries.  nah just messing.

even if we spunk away the last few games, we still had a great season . 

Guest hobshobs

I've goy say Cheik has been average for most of the season and we aint missed him much when he has been out tbh.

Totally agree on both counts.

Whenever I've seen you this year, Tiote hasn't impressed me that much. His passing has often been mediocre and gives away a lot of fouls, many of them stupid. Has his qualities, like most do, but could be one to sacrifice if you had to sell someone.

Might just be a harsh assessment on what I've seen?

Whenever I've seen you this year, Tiote hasn't impressed me that much. His passing has often been mediocre and gives away a lot of fouls, many of them stupid. Has his qualities, like most do, but could be one to sacrifice if you had to sell someone.

Might just be a harsh assessment on what I've seen?

The fact that he's been in and out of the team this season (due to injuries/ACoN participation) hasn't helped. So he really hasn't had a consistent run of games this year.

When Tiote's been good this season, he's been fantastic. Been a stop-start season for him.

It's a testament to our form and current status btw that Wigan's play and the scoreline today is being treated with such incredulity. :thup:

I didn't think the pressure affected us particularly. Wigan's pace and movement was simply better than ours. There's been plenty of games this season where that's been the case, and on this occasion we got punished.

Williamson was beaten by Moses because as the ball came over, Moses just shoved him a yard away so that Williamson wasn't in the right position to make his height tell at the crucial moment. You could say that Williamson was weak, but Moses is as strong as an ox. I noticed later on that even Tiote was bouncing off him.

Does Krul have a back problem? One or two posters have suggested that. I thought he was a bit slow in getting down for the 2nd and 3rd goals.

Santon looked far more comfortable playing on the right, during the 20 minutes that he was allowed to. Pardew really should give him an extended try there.

I didn't think the pressure affected us particularly. Wigan's pace and movement was simply better than ours. There's been plenty of games this season where that's been the case, and on this occasion we got punished.

Williamson was beaten by Moses because as the ball came over, Moses just shoved him a yard away so that Williamson wasn't in the right position to make his height tell at the crucial moment. You could say that Williamson was weak, but Moses is as strong as an ox. I noticed later on that even Tiote was bouncing off him.

Does Krul have a back problem? One or two posters have suggested that. I thought he was a bit slow in getting down for the 2nd and 3rd goals.

Santon looked far more comfortable playing on the right, during the 20 minutes that he was allowed to. Pardew really should give him an extended try there.

krul could have been at his best, wouldn't have mattered as we were battered

How many times have we had 'ponytail/pigtails' as the lines person and failed to get anything? I'm fairly certain we can add both the Fulham and Spurs away games to todays result, with all 14 goals being conceded in her half. I have a feeling Norwich away was her too.

I'm not saying she gets the decisions wrong but she must go down as a jinx or something.