Wigan Athletic 4 - 0 Newcastle United - 28/04/12 - post-match reaction from pg48

Dave

Just got home. Long day. Not our day today, difficult to know where to start.

Thought Tiote had one of his worse games today - haven't seem a replay, but he just seemed to not bother charging Di Santo down just before he scored.

Hatem was very quiet first half, but then looked lively for about 15 mins in the second. He also seemed to be the one driving us on - looking to take quick free kicks etc. He dragged a shot wide with his right from the edge of the box that he should have hit the target with, however, how he made space for that I will never know - one second he had 4 men around him, the next he was in 2 yards of space without really moving far.

Simpson was awful.

Again I haven't seen a reply but was disappointed to see Williamson get beaten in the air by Moses? Also Krul didn't move - I thought he was just going to step and tip it over. It was either an excellent header or he was caught flat footed.

Credit to Wigan, they were clinical in the first half and were good value for their win.

There was a baby crying all the way from Manc to Wigan Wallgate on the train - some lads were lullabying 'that little baby, he cries when he wants'. Was quite funny. Also recognised some of the lads that I set next to at SJP - second back row (PP) of the corner lower tier? I'm sure they are off here because they are always signing forum songs e.g. the suarez jackson five one and Demba One, Demba Two.

I didn't think the pressure affected us particularly. Wigan's pace and movement was simply better than ours. There's been plenty of games this season where that's been the case, and on this occasion we got punished.

Williamson was beaten by Moses because as the ball came over, Moses just shoved him a yard away so that Williamson wasn't in the right position to make his height tell at the crucial moment. You could say that Williamson was weak, but Moses is as strong as an ox. I noticed later on that even Tiote was bouncing off him.

Does Krul have a back problem? One or two posters have suggested that. I thought he was a bit slow in getting down for the 2nd and 3rd goals.

Santon looked far more comfortable playing on the right, during the 20 minutes that he was allowed to. Pardew really should give him an extended try there.

krul could have been at his best, wouldn't have mattered as we were battered

http://www.georgiataylor.co.uk/tvburp31102009avi.jpg

i wanted di santo to shoot tbh, remember thinking "let him have a shot". didnt occur to me that might happen

Know what you mean. Been watching Wigan squander the easiest of chances all season. Pretty unfortunate for us that we caught them on the one day they finished their chances with such composure and aplomb. They'll miss three open goals in their next game, you just know it. :lol:

All I have to say in hindsight on this game, is that I have no real shame in being beaten by a team playing superb football. 

If we'd lost 4-nil to a hoofball squad, then I'd have a problem.

Wigan played out of their skins, and they deserved it.  We weren't up for it enough.

The important thing is that we learn.  Well done, Wigan.

I didn't think the pressure affected us particularly. Wigan's pace and movement was simply better than ours. There's been plenty of games this season where that's been the case, and on this occasion we got punished.

Williamson was beaten by Moses because as the ball came over, Moses just shoved him a yard away so that Williamson wasn't in the right position to make his height tell at the crucial moment. You could say that Williamson was weak, but Moses is as strong as an ox. I noticed later on that even Tiote was bouncing off him.

Does Krul have a back problem? One or two posters have suggested that. I thought he was a bit slow in getting down for the 2nd and 3rd goals.

Santon looked far more comfortable playing on the right, during the 20 minutes that he was allowed to. Pardew really should give him an extended try there.

krul could have been at his best, wouldn't have mattered as we were battered

http://www.georgiataylor.co.uk/tvburp31102009avi.jpg

hahaha unintentional bad rhyme i'm sorry.

Lets be honest here, what happened?  did the players simply did not turn up as they thought wigan would not be too tough of an opposition, we underestimated them in that respect.

Or, a whole fortnight of the media has been talking us up about how well we've done, great transfers, even mumblings of Pardew for England, we are heading for champions league etc, daily mail full page spreads of our facilities, Ashley's new windfall of money. Just positive waves that our club has not ever had since the Entertainer's days.

The players got took in by all the hype?  or did we realise how close we actually were to achieving champions league status, that they simply choked at Wigan?

I like/have nothing against Wigan for 36 games a season pretty much. The two games we play them a season, we never seem to put in a performance even when we win. Especially Tiote now I think about it.

From a selfish perspective, I hope they do go down so we don't have to play them anymore. Last season's drubbing at Bolton aside, I'd much rather keep the Trotters. We have a more favourable rapport with them ;D

The players got took in by all the hype?  or did we realise how close we actually were to achieving champions league status, that they simply choked at Wigan?

Bit of both tbh, iam hoping that considering no one will expect us to beat Chelsea at the bridge a bit of hype and pressure will go down and we can take advantage and play with no fear and no pressure.

I like/have nothing against Wigan for 36 games a season pretty much. The two games we play them a season, we never seem to put in a performance even when we win. Especially Tiote now I think about it.

From a selfish perspective, I hope they do go down so we don't have to play them anymore. Last season's drubbing at Bolton aside, I'd much rather keep the Trotters. We have a more favourable rapport with them ;D

We always get absolutely fuck all at Reading too, and Southampton speaks for itself, I'm hoping Kieron Dyer and Stephen Carr buried that demon for good. Didn't want West Ham to come up but now you've said that, we usually beat them buggers.

We always get absolutely f*** all at Reading too, and Southampton speaks for itself, I'm hoping Kieron Dyer and Stephen Carr buried that demon for good. Didn't want West Ham to come up but now you've said that, we usually beat them buggers.

Hopefully that win we got in the Championship has destroyed our voodoo there for good!

Bit of both tbh, iam hoping that considering no one will expect us to beat Chelsea at the bridge a bit of hype and pressure will go down and we can take advantage and play with no fear and no pressure.

one thing i'm sure about is, we won't play like anything as bad was we were today.

We always get absolutely f*** all at Reading too, and Southampton speaks for itself, I'm hoping Kieron Dyer and Stephen Carr buried that demon for good. Didn't want West Ham to come up but now you've said that, we usually beat them buggers.

Hopefully that win we got in the Championship has destroyed our voodoo there for good too!

Yet another game in the Championship I have absolutely no recollection of. :lol:

Hopefully that win we got in the Championship has destroyed our voodoo there for good too!

Yet another game in the Championship I have absolutely no recollection of. :lol:

It was 2-1 to us iirc with Nolan getting both goals.

I think it because we are too good on attack lately our defense line up become complacent. In their head was "dont worry worry cisse will score... dont worry benny will do his magic" really fook them up so bad. We seem didn't challenge all their goals properly.

Did anyone else notice that once Krul started to pass the ball out to a defender instead of booting it, we also started to play a lot better? Granted they were already 4-0 up by that point and didn't need to press as hard.