In the sphere of instinctive ball strikers & finishers, where does Cisse rank?

Guest Tyson

The amount of times he has hit the woodwork also shows that he's always trying to place the ball out of reach of the keeper.

Would be interesting to know how many of his shots have actually been saved, I don't think it's many.

Guest je85

The amount of times he has hit the woodwork also shows that he's always trying to place the ball out of reach of the keeper.

Would be interesting to know how many of his shots have actually been saved, I don't think it's many.

One of my pet irritants is pundits saying that a striker 'should have made the keeper make a save'.

No, the striker should aim for the edges of the goal so that the keeper can't make a save.

Guest je85

One of my pet irritants is pundits saying that a striker 'should have made the keeper make a save'.

No, the striker should aim for the edges of the goal so that the keeper can't make a save.

Not necessarily, a shot across the keeper so he has to make a save and it may fall into the path of another attacker would be more useful than knocking it just wide of the near post for example.

There's a difference between shooting straight at the keeper and forcing him to make a save he may fumble. If the striker sends it wide, the keeper has done his job.

Not necessarily, a shot across the keeper so he has to make a save and it may fall into the path of another attacker would be more useful than knocking it just wide of the near post for example.

I think you’re making a very different point there. If a keeper saves a shot at his near post, the ball’s likely to go out of play. If he saves a shot aimed for the far post, the ball’s more likely to remain in play.

The point about aiming for the corners of the goal rather than the middle still stands. Your point relates to which corner to aim for, when shooting at an angle.

I cant compare him to one player at all, he's is just a special one. certain parts of his game can be compared to different players and certain goals can be compared to hat what certain players did, but it always different players. like the swansea 2nd was simliar to henry, but the 1st in the same game was more anelka at his best. then there's goal like his 2nd tonight and norwich, which are just out of this world and make u wonder how the hell he did it, he is just incredible. Soon if he carries on he will be the benchmark, goals will be like cisse all the time.

To use a baseball analogy, Cisse is like the pitcher who throws 96 mph with what looks like minimal effort. He makes every shot look easy. I think he's become one of the best pure strikers in the league.

Guest Phil K

Noticed most of the presenters on Talk Sh*te radio while saying Cisse's second was spectac, were claiming "He didn't mean that" - so, going by these peabrains, he was doing what ? Aiming for Row Z perhaps ? Time Wasting ? (a favourite of those arch hypocrites, Arsenal fans these days) A cross, even though he LOOKED UP and altered the angle of his lean in order to do what it actually ended up doing - or perhaps Andy Grey and Brazil etc are judging Cisse by their own low standards ?

At least Rooney saw it for what it was on Twitter.

Guest Howaythetoon

I think its wrong to peg him as an "instinctive striker" or as any other adjective really. To do so would suggest he is either this kind of striker or that kind, when in reality he has shown he is an all-rounder, in general play and in terms of striking the ball and finishing. His finishing since he signed shows he is a deliberate goalscorer, in that there is nothing fluckey about his finishing or indeed instinctive. In that sense, he is like an Alan Shearer. He can pretty much score any kind of goal given a sight at goal and that's why he is so lethal. Left footed, right footed, with his head, on the volley, rolled in... you name it. He is simply a goalscorer, an all-rounder it appears. Wow, what a signing, what a player and what goals. That second of his was the best individualistic type of goal I've ever seen from a toon player from a single strike.

Actually HTT I believe his finishing is purely instinctive, it's the only way to explain how he scores the goals he does regularly. As others have said, it's not something that can be trained. His work rate and everything else is obviously good, but when people call him an instinctive striker i don't think they are pigeon-holing him so much as describing how he takes his goals compared to others.

Guest Howaythetoon

Actually HTT I believe his finishing is purely instinctive, it's the only way to explain how he scores the goals he does regularly. As others have said, it's not something that can be trained. His work rate and everything else is obviously good, but when people call him an instinctive striker i don't think they are pigeon-holing him so much as describing how he takes his goals compared to others.

I understand the argument but I feel it does pigeon-hole him if you like, especially in the media. I mean not long after he joined some were saying if he has to think about a chance, it will go begging, yet he has shown he can score any type of goal really. As finishing goes, he has impressed me no end and has a certain Shearer like quality about him in that if he thinks he can get a strike away or score, he'll go for it, be it the audacious to the ridiculous to rounding a keeper or snapping at a shot.