Pardew and Carver on BBC radio Newcastle (old thread)

SUPERTOON

Radio Newcastle are utter shit. All those questions could have been asked in about 20 minutes. All the fucking callers allowed to ramble on talking fucking crap before finally getting to a completely inane question.

They do it every fucking time.

I'm excited and happy with the way things are, don't really care if I sound over-the-top. We're pushing for Champions League football and we finally aren't the brunt of every fucking joke out there.

It's good to know that they have noticed that the majority of our set plays have been horrendous. Our corner kicks alone have been a waste of time since January. I also hope they have also realised that we are over exposing ourselves having 2 of our CB's going up for corners and free kicks and having Krul take free kicks that are only about 10 yards in our own half. Krul despite being a a great keeper has an awful kick on him and I cringe with fear every time he goes 40-50 yards out of goal to take a free kick.

It's good to know that they have noticed that the majority of our set plays have been horrendous. Our corner kicks alone have been a waste of time since January. I also hope they have also realised that we are over exposing ourselves having 2 of our CB's going up for corners and free kicks and having Krul take free kicks that are only about 10 yards in our own half. Krul despite being a a great keeper has an awful kick on him and I cringe with fear every time he goes 40-50 yards out of goal to take a free kick.

I doubt that there's a team in the league that doesn't have both their centre halves go up for set pieces.

I doubt that there's a team in the league that doesn't have both their centre halves go up for set pieces.

I think the point trying to be made is that we send both up and they both are not really effective at all. So the solution being to find a centrehalf with a presence in the air and able to score goals from those positions.

Was a great listen that - loved his honesty and humour. Think some people are reading too much into his comments about Simpson though. Although he opened up on a lot of subjects, I get the impression that Simpson isn't rated within the club and Pardew's hardly going to come out and say he's shite, regardless of what he actually thinks.

Was a great listen that - loved his honesty and humour. Think some people are reading too much into his comments about Simpson though. Although he opened up on a lot of subjects, I get the impression that Simpson isn't rated within the club and Pardew's hardly going to come out and say he's shite, regardless of what he actually thinks.

Not sure about that, he's been pretty much ever present under Pardew.

That's more by default than anything. I'm 100% certain we'll sign a right back during this coming window, whether Simpson stays or not.

Can replay it here:

:thup: Thanks, was half way through listening intently then family stuff happened, bit of a tough call tbh. Nearly told everyone to fuck off because NUFC was more important than them, but I suppose they had made the effort to come round for my bd so I turned it off. Must go and cosy up to the missus now in the aftermath. :lol: Might get a breakfast on a plate in the morning instead of in the face!

Keep being helpful.

Annoying how the end of the interview is missing off the BBC iPlayer.

Seems to go on even after the 2 hour bar.....

Yes but Mick Lowes asks John Carver for a final word on Pardew and it ends before Carver speaks.

Yeah, really annoying, anyone know what he said?

That's more by default than anything. I'm 100% certain we'll sign a right back during this coming window, whether Simpson stays or not.

I agree that we'll sign a right back but I don't think it's been by default at all that he's kept his place. We know he likes Perch at full back, we know he likes Santon there, Gutierrez there, even Ryan Taylor there, we've gone through nearly half a dozen players at left back yet on the other side, despite all of those players being naturally right sided, Simpson has remained a constant, even in the cups.

I know you don't like him as a footballer but what he has been very good at in general this season is exactly what Pardew likes from his defence - keeping a solid shape and knowing where to be positionally. Our defensive record is one of the best in the league if you discount the two or three aberrations we've had on the road. We've kept more clean sheets than we have for a long time and Simpson, along with Krul, has been a constant factor in that.

Also something forgotten in the midst of all that... Pardew saying that he has been offered players already who he never would have last year because we have european football.

He was suggesting that we have been offered some good players.

Yes we've been offered players who we would have signed in previous times. These will be players beyond our current wage structure of an older age ect. ect. Not now though, and rightly so, we have our own targets.

Was a great listen that - loved his honesty and humour. Think some people are reading too much into his comments about Simpson though. Although he opened up on a lot of subjects, I get the impression that Simpson isn't rated within the club and Pardew's hardly going to come out and say he's s****, regardless of what he actually thinks.

I agree that we'll sign a right back but I don't think it's been by default at all that he's kept his place. We know he likes Perch at full back, we know he likes Santon there, Gutierrez there, even Ryan Taylor there, we've gone through nearly half a dozen players at left back yet on the other side, despite all of those players being naturally right sided, Simpson has remained a constant, even in the cups.

I know you don't like him as a footballer but what he has been very good at in general this season is exactly what Pardew likes from his defence - keeping a solid shape and knowing where to be positionally. Our defensive record is one of the best in the league if you discount the two or three aberrations we've had on the road. We've kept more clean sheets than we have for a long time and Simpson, along with Krul, has been a constant factor in that.

Good post.

Was a great listen that - loved his honesty and humour. Think some people are reading too much into his comments about Simpson though. Although he opened up on a lot of subjects, I get the impression that Simpson isn't rated within the club and Pardew's hardly going to come out and say he's s****, regardless of what he actually thinks.

Good post.

Yeah, it's a fair point. Simpson isn't any good going forward and he usually prefers to stand off his opponent rather than take the risk of putting in a challenge, but you can rely on him to be in the area where he should be. Pardew likes that, and it's easier to be bold when you're not the person whose neck is on the line when you don't get results.

The other thing with Simpson is that, being a part-time centre back, he's reasonably good at defending the far post, or at least better than our alternatives. I do wonder whether part of Pardew's hesitation with Ferguson is he doesn't want opposing strikers targeting a midget full back at crosses. That's a bit of a sucker punch.

But having said all that, a full back who can support the attack can really add a lot to a team's performance, and we need an upgrade.