Mathieu Debuchy

Skeletor

Well if his age was the issue then they should have pursued Clyne more vigourously. Are we buying players that are going to improve the team or to sell on for a profit?

The latter seems to be Ashley's top priority. But I'd say there's need for a balance between the two.

Ashley Cole is coming up 32 and he is by quite some distance the best fullback in the league.

Is that really the problem in this particular deal? I was of the impression it's because once he does get to that sort of his age he won't be worth very much.

Wonder how much Cole is worth?

Depends, are we going by the Steven Fletcher market standard?

I don't see how the Cole example is that relevant, you could quote many many players who aren't worth buying at his age.

I agree 27 isn't old like obviously.

Even getting solid fullback work from Debuchy for 3 years would be worth it for the price, imo.

I agree with you in theory, I just don't have a problem with the club pursuing their current transfer policy, which has led to some superb deals. It's up to the powers at be to decide if this is a situation where it's worth bending the rules. Hope it comes off, we'll see.

Ashley Cole is coming up 32 and he is by quite some distance the best fullback in the league.

Is that really the problem in this particular deal? I was of the impression it's because once he does get to that sort of his age he won't be worth very much.

Wonder how much Cole is worth?

Depends, are we going by the Steven Fletcher market standard?

It'll be RVP market standard, think Chelsea selling to another top club who could attract Cole would still hit double figures no problem.

It is all about the quality and the situation, if the player is still performing well he retains a value, if age hits him and at 32 its knackered then he's worth nowt.

Anyone buying Ashley Cole now for double figures would need to have either infinite wealth or a mental illness.

Wouldn't go that far, still think Ashley Cole has a good 4 or 5 years left in him. Milan bought Cafu when he was 32-33 and look how class he was for them.

I think the correct definition of "resale value" is not the market value of the player during the end of his contract, but the market value of the player if he fails miserably 1 year after joining us.  Take Anita for example, even if he is a miss, we can still easily recoup 4m since he is relatively young and is still a Dutch international.  On the other hand, if Debuchy is a miss, he actually worth nearly nothing since he is already 28 years old with the risk that he may not perform that well again.

I am with Ashley this time. Too much to take if the fee is anything higher than 6m.

Guest Realist

Ashley Cole is the exception, not the rule.  See also: Giggs, Cafu, Scholes, Maldini, Inzhagi, Pirlo, Carlos.  In General players at those ages, in their positions, become liabilities.  Pointing out there've been a few that lasted beyond their shelf life in no way makes an argument in this instance.

Ashley Cole is the exception, not the rule.  See also: Giggs, Cafu, Scholes, Maldini, Inzhagi, Pirlo, Carlos.  In General players at those ages, in their positions, become liabilities.  Pointing out there've been a few that lasted beyond their shelf life in no way makes an argument in this instance.

While i agree with that in a sense it's not like we would have to pay huge money to get him. His fee is apparently in between 6 and 6.5m pounds which really is'nt a great deal of money in this day and age to gamble over.

If we fail to buy him over the difference of a million which is apparently the difference atm then it's a bit silly imo.

£6.7m might not seem that much for an international but when you consider that we'll not recoup much of that through resale it's still a decent fee, especially with Ashley's previous unwillingness to buy players who won't increase in value. The fact no other club has offered a better fee would suggest it's a fair price as well. Lille were happy enough with it before the Euros, obviously now they are hoping that exposure will draw in some other bids.

Still going to be pissed off if we don't get this guy, he'd be such a good signing. No idea if we're still in for Douglas but we need one or the other at the very least at the back.........if we got both, then I'd jizz for months.

Guest bimpy474

Erik Pieters was at today's match apparently...

Peters thread ?

Thought it was just as relevant here TBH...

Yup if Peters is coming, then obviously that's the end of our hope to get Debuchy

I tend to think he is more of a squad player along the lines of Anita, can play both LB and CB, if he came i think it would end the search for CB not Debuchy imo.

Guest bimpy474

Would hope so Bimby but i can't see tbh, if we buy Pieters we will move Santon to the right and end any chance in Debuchy IMO.

I would love to see us sign Debuchy and Pieters for the reasons you mentioned but i can't see it at all.

I think Pieters is no go this window as he is injured but i think we will still sign him in the future. Debuchy is the one i think we will still go for, unless the bridges are already burnt.

Our board have shown their willingness to wait, just so frustrating not to know anything as a fan.

I asked Luke Edwards about Debuchy earlier and whether or not he thinks the deal is dead and he said he "will find out for sure tomorrow". An interesting choice of words I thought, not holding my breath that we'll hear anything like.