NUFC Pre-Season 2012/13

Guest taps01

.com having it as well.

Geordie vuvuzela?

South African media sources reported on Thursday that Newcastle were one of the clubs under consideration to feature in the annual Vodacom Challenge tournament.

The pre-season kickabout has previously played host to Manchester United, Manchester City and Spurs - along with home-based sides Kaizer Chiefs and Orlando Pirates. 

However this remains unconfirmed - and other sources earlier this week speculated that the event could be cancelled, or go ahead with no overseas sides.

Watch this space for updates as we get them.

From .com

2012/13:

Geordie vuvuzela?

South African media sources reported on Thursday that Newcastle were one of the clubs under consideration to feature in the annual Vodacom Challenge tournament.

The pre-season kickabout has previously played host to Manchester United, Manchester City and Spurs - along with home-based sides Kaizer Chiefs and Orlando Pirates. 

However this remains unconfirmed - and other sources earlier this week speculated that the event could be cancelled, or go ahead with no overseas sides.

From .com

2012/13:

Geordie vuvuzela?

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,92319.msg3712836.html#msg3712836

:p

call it cynical but i thought we'd be off to malaysia or indonesia and take advantage of ba,cisse and ben arfa's religion.

Getting in free to the mosque?

pre season tours these days are all about trying to build fan bases, countries that like football with large muslim populations could be ripe to try and turn them from man utd,liverpool by using those three as a charm offensive.

call it cynical but i thought we'd be off to malaysia or indonesia and take advantage of ba,cisse and ben arfa's religion.

pre season tours these days are all about trying to build fan bases, countries that like football with large muslim populations could be ripe to try and turn them from man utd,liverpool by using those three as a charm offensive.

I've always been skeptical of how much foreign support actually brings to the club. Most of them wear fake merchandise and never attend games. What are the positives of big foreign fan bases?

Don't get me wrong, I like us being known around the world and welcome all the support we get but I don't see how it's beneficial to the club unless you are a super power like Madrid, Barcelona or Man United.

Should play a few matches in France.

Aye, would've thought that would've been the most sensible idea. Although saying that, Cabaye and Hatem probably won't feature much due to just getting back from the Euros.

No chance, every cunt in Malaysia supports Man United and Cardiff / QPR are already trying to sneak in on that.

Don't get me wrong, I like us being known around the world and welcome all the support we get but I don't see how it's beneficial to the club unless you are a super power like Madrid, Barcelona or Man United.

More money from shirt sales, foreign club fan bases, the chance to operate a TV channel, creating ties with other clubs which could result in finding any talent from said country. I'd like to see us break Canada/Ontario. We already have quotes a few ties with Toronto FC with former players having played for the, Carver having been their manager etc, a few Geordie expats work/live over there and a few expats from over there work/live in Newcastle.

I've always been skeptical of how much foreign support actually brings to the club. Most of them wear fake merchandise and never attend games. What are the positives of big foreign fan bases?

Globalization of the game makes it worthwhile if you're prepared to make the effort and support it with pre-season friendlies etc.

China & India have populations of roughly 1 billion each (or something of that order) so even if their upwardly mobile middle classes topped out at say 5% of the overall public, that's a shed load of people looking towards aspirational living, of which the PL is a big, big draw.

Agreed, as you say, fake shirts, not attending games is true but their "underlying support" can still be monetized (great word btw)

There will always be "fake" goods but for the upwardly mobile, there's kudos in buying "official" kit and when the audience is so mindbogglingly large it's no wonder clubs are sitting up and taking notice.

I'm no fan of Facetube or Twatter (mainly because I can see them for what they really are) but their ability to "go direct" to the consumer (to monetize :pow:) is massively powerful and shouldn't isn't be ignored by the big guns.

Facebook is all about social networking, the opportunity for big business to "tailor" their offer direct to people who actually want to buy their product.

That's why it's floating at $100 billion +

It's a interesting topic for football clubs actually, might even be worth a thread.

Globalization of the game makes it worthwhile if you're prepared to make the effort and support it with pre-season friendlies etc.

China & India have populations of roughly 1 billion each (or something of that order) so even if their upwardly mobile middle classes topped out at say 5% of the overall public, that's a shed load of people looking towards aspirational living, of which the PL is a big, big draw.

Agreed, as you say, fake shirts, not attending games is true but their "underlying support" can still be monetized (great word btw)

There will always be "fake" goods but for the upwardly mobile, there's kudos in buying "official" kit and when the audience is so mindbogglingly large it's no wonder clubs are sitting up and taking notice.

I'm no fan of Facetube or Twatter (mainly because I can see them for what they really are) but their ability to "go direct" to the consumer (to monetize :pow:) is massively powerful and shouldn't isn't be ignored by the big guns.

Facebook is all about social networking, the opportunity for big business to "tailor" their offer direct to people who actually want to buy their product.

It's a interesting topic for football clubs actually, might even be worth a thread.

I'd go the opposite and say the appeal of targeting markets like China/India etc. is for sponsorship/pre season tour reasons not for shirt sales etc. The general population of these countries, as you say, have access to fake merch (which looks real) and there is no chance the middle classes would wear shirts etc and even if they did I don't think it'd make the difference.  Far more B2B than B2C IMO.

I'd go the opposite and say the appeal of targeting markets like China/India etc. is for sponsorship/pre season tour reasons not for shirt sales etc. The general population of these countries, as you say, have access to fake merch (which looks real) and there is no chance the middle classes would wear shirts etc and even if they did I don't think it'd make the difference.  Far more B2B than B2C IMO.

I'll not disagree with that, fair point. For clarity, by "kit" I was referring to merchandise in general but appreciate I didn't make that very clear.

You're right to highlight B2B, a massive driver for sure, but B2B (mostly in this sphere) looks like this: B2B2C.

Ultimately they're all looking for the dollar, it's just a case of picking a good "partner" to drive your revenue stream with/through.

Did a quick search on Facebook "likes" for the big 4

Man Utd - 25-million

Arsenal - 10-million

Liverpool - 9.7-million

Man City - 2.7-million

Now, you could argue that it's only a "click" on a site and means nothing in reality however I couldn't "like" them as I'm not on Facebook.

Ergo, I must be live on the system so I can "dock" with them as myself. Once I'm locked on (like it or not) I'm basically fair game henceforth.

Doesn't matter if I'm in Manchester or Mumbai, I still get the same first class slick marketing treatment.

"What's that, you're coming to a City near me in pre-season?" WOW!! "I'll sign up for that"

"What's that, I get discount of my home insurance as a club member?" WOW!! "I'll sign up for that"

"What's that, your developing a footballing academy in my country with a summer course, this summer" WOW!! "Samir, would you "like" that?"

"What's that, would I "like" a low (spelt LOL) rate club credit card that also doubles up as a clubcard at my local branch of *names southeast Asian supermarket chain*" WOW!! "Yes, please, I'd "like" that"

It's a marketeers wet dream.

FYI

NUFC - 275-thousand :whistle:

Totally fair point and I see what you're getting at.

I'd say Man City are fairly moot in regards to this atm as they're so tied in with UAE there increased popularity will do little to nothing although it obviously has potential in the future but at the moment they're so reliant I doubt they'll be off chasing other revenue streams. If you watch them every single advert round the pitch is a UAE company aside from Umbro.

On the other hand you always see Man United advertising in Korean & Chinese during their games although I guess with Park, and potentially Kagawa, along with their higher disposable incomes in comparison to the rest of Asia they might actually be contributing a fair bit through merch along with the associated sponsorship deals.

Definitely is the global game though, as shown by Spanish teams kicking off early doors to try and tap in to the Asian market.

in spain this season, real madrid have often been kicking off at 11am sunday mornings purely for the "asian tv market".....would we for the price ?

Definitely, when was it that Shepherd shafted Robson after a Waffa game?