Eintracht Frankfurt 0-0 Newcastle United - Post Match Thoughts.

BlufPurdi

Pretty dull game, we only got the point because of their dreadful finishing.

Given - Nothing to do really, apart from the header right at his feet

Solano - Has to be his position now, if Roeder puts Carr back in I wont be happy!! :/

Taylor - Made a few useful interceptions but I thought he lost his man a few times

Bramble - Few mistakes as per standard Bramble performance but not bad overall

Butt - Thought he got quieter towards the end, my MOTM

Emre - Same as normal always puts a decent shift in but his forward play & creativity were poor

Zog - Where has the real Zog gone? this one can't beat a player to save his life and didn't play a decent ball all night

Milner - Quiet night, didn't get much of the ball and struggling to get down the wing

Luque - I have been willing to give him the benefit of the doubt all the way up until now and I was looking forward to seeing him get another chance, but he was a complete waste of space, would prefer to have seen a youngster who might have actually shown some motivation

Sibi - Ran his arse off and was lucky not to score

Martins - Played in a nice cross for Sibi's chance but apart from that was pretty poor in the time he was on

Roedent - Would liked to have seen some younger players get some time and I thought he stuck with the 4-5-1 for too long, but overall the tactics were ok + a large slice of luck.

That was an alright performance. We defended well for 75% of the game, but i lost count of how many times they got through. Absolutely abysmal finishing was the only thing that prevented us from getting mullered, and that's a bit of a worry in my opinion. We're going to come across better opponents.

But then you could argue - if we were playing a better team, we wouldn't have allowed them to get through, because we would have played a more advanced game.

Steven Taylor was man of the match by an absolute country mile. Butt and Nobby played well, but Taylor eclipses the both of them. Man mountain this evening.

Had we have played 4-4-2 and actually played against them, i thiunk we would have beaten that team, because they weren't very good. But i'll take a draw, of course. But if we play for a draw against a better team - even Vigo or Fenerbahce, they would beat us relatively comfortably. And that, and the fact that they had so many chances, is a slight concern.

Nothing drives me more insane than this.  If we're going to play for a draw or a 1-0 win from the off, I'd rather have played the youth FFS.  Instead we get dribble in which the likes of Blackburn are famous for. 

I thought Martins just gave us something a little extra. There was that fantastic cross and a lovely through ball to Emre. Alright - he wasn't brilliant when he was on (were you expecting him to be with the way we were playing), but he just added something. Simply holding him back by not playing him tbh.

Guest Geordie_Paul

Might not have been the best performance but got the job done. Riding our luck at times like but they're finishing was pathetic. Topping the 'group of death' is a great achievement!

Solano had another good game!

First-half diagnosis?

Seemed pretty comfortable tbh but playing with 10 men as Luque was totally invisible.

Second-half diagnosis?

Could have scored a couple but generally fortunate that the Jormans couldn't finish a Milky Way.

Full-time diagnosis?

A game, had we tried to be more offensive minded,we should have had no trouble winning but the negative tactics employed by Roeder gave us the point we needed but only down to shit Eintracht finishing.

Star man for United?

Without a doubt,Nolberto Solano.Reads the game so well for an attacking player playing out of position.Shouts also to Taylor,Milner and Sibierski whose attitude was magnificent,never stopped running.This man looks proud to wear the shirt.Loving him more each game. :thup:Sibbers.Butt doing a similar job but as anchor in midfield.

Worst United player?

Luque.A blind man on a galloping horse could see that.Adios el lazy uno.

Opposition comment?

Diving ,cynical cheats.Technically quite good but toothless up front.

Toon-pros?

Hopefully the end of Carr in a Mags shirt as Solano magic.

Toon-cons?

Luque,negative tactics.

Post-match feelings? Good result but the worst performance i think i've seen from a Newcastle player in Luques German stroll

for an hour.

Zoggy just couldn't keep control of the ball going forward, and didn't any provide proper protection in defence. On that performance, I'd take Arsenal's money before they change their minds.

Luque, as usual, not enough aggression.

We weren't able to stop crosses coming in, and they produced some good ones. We were saved by some very poor finishing.

Incidentally, am I right in assuming that the commentators were based in England and talking to a TV monitor? They seemed to have terrible trouble identifying the players.

I know it wasn't the prettiest of games but jesus christ people, LIGHTEN THE FUCK UP

No wonder we're called the most expectant and demanding of fans, non-stop moaning even though we've won the group of death. Pessimistic c****  bluelaugh.gif

I thought Martins just gave us something a little extra. There was that fantastic cross and a lovely through ball to Emre. Alright - he wasn't brilliant when he was on (were you expecting him to be with the way we were playing), but he just added something. Simply holding him back by not playing him tbh.

I thought he played pretty well. He defo showed more quality than PUQUE. That cross was sublime and if the defender was man to man with Sib's, we'd have

won 1-0. 

Typical performance, except this time we got all the luck in the world.

Plus points.

Nicky Butt was awesome, Solano and Emre were very impressive aswell. With Taylor doing well on the whole. We kept possesion and passed the ball well at times.

Minus point

Ramage got torn to shreds as did solano at times. but the latter was positionally much better.

We cannot defend crosses, and at the other end of the pitch Luque was ignored on the LW.

After excellent possesion we panic and smash the ball right down the field and lose the ball.

We seem incapable of find the final pass, ball or any confidence in finding a shot from any part of the pitch.

Overall job done. But as always room to vastly improve. But hopefully we can keep hold of the luck we had tonight because Frankfurt were good for the 3 points today. Another game and team and we would have been 4 down without a reply by half time.

Martins is really doing everything but scoring. quickly becoming my favourite player :)

tbf to Zoggy it was probably all to quick for him to have time to look but if he left that overhead kick effort Martins was right behind him coming on to the ball and a very good chance of scoring.

How can some of you be so utterly short sighted when it comes to Zoggy. Okay he hasn't performed much lately, but FFS try to remember the lad is 20 and he has been magical at times (last season). They are human beings out there, not machines!! Selling Zoggy with £5m or even £7m would be a disaster. Patience my friends, patience.

Top preformance from Taylor. We got the job done but clearly missed Scott Parker tonight. Emre did alright as well..

I'm intrigued to know how you worked that one out. Emre had a good game, as did Butt. Nothing suggested to me that we missed Parker.

Also, although he only did it twice I was starting to get annoyed with Martins for straying offside.

He soo quick, why does he need to be on the line all the time?

I felt really sorry for Sibi tonight. Constant shit service to him apart from Martins cross where he was really unlucky made it look like he had a poor game, whereas in reality I thought he battled really well up there on his own for the most part.  :thup:

Bramble nearly had a good game tonight, but spoiled it with one poor pass and one poor 'clean the man and ball' tackle on the edge of the box where he was extremely lucky to get away without a booking.

Lot of decent performers tonight and a good result to go with it.  :)

How can some of you be so utterly short sighted when it comes to Zoggy. Okay he hasn't performed much lately, but FFS try to remember the lad is 20 and he has been magical at times (last season). They are human beings out there, not machines!! Selling Zoggy with £5m or even £7m would be a disaster. Patience my friends, patience.

On this forum? you must be joking  :lol:

Martins is really doing everything but scoring. quickly becoming my favourite player :)

tbf to Zoggy it was probably all to quick for him to have time to look but if he left that overhead kick effort Martins was right behind him coming on to the ball and a very good chance of scoring.

Would have scored if he kept his composure imo, he had a lot more time with the ball than he thought.

Thought Emre drove forward well, and some of his battling in midfield was excellent - winning the ball in the middle of the park. His passing is poor though, and he really needs work on his finishing.

absolutely, great battling and work ethic, but his good passing was nulified by his poor and sloppy ones. Needs to get back on the score sheet.

Completely different to last season when he constantly drove forward when on the ball, now he stops to assess where he is going and generally ends up going backwards. In effect we are still lacking an attacking midfielder.

Thought Emre drove forward well, and some of his battling in midfield was excellent - winning the ball in the middle of the park. His passing is poor though, and he really needs work on his finishing.

Decent performance from the wee fella. HOWEVER, he loses the ball too fuckin' often by running in blind alleys. We conceded posession too easily today and it was mostly Emre or N'Zogbia at fault.

absolutely, great battling and work ethic, but his good passing was nulified by his poor and sloppy ones. Needs to get back on the score sheet.

Completely different to last season when he constantly drove forward when on the ball, now he stops to assess where he is going and generally ends up going backwards. In effect we are still lacking an attacking midfielder.

Dyer?