Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

Blatantly struggling and will do until he grows back the Davids style dreads.

Guthrie comparisons are unfair Anita is a defensive midfielder that sits in front of the back four and tidys up. Guthrie was a deep lying playmaker or attacking midfielder. I'm bot worried about Anita, I think he will be important for in the future. We desperately need another classy playmaker though, either to move Ben Arfa centrally and bring in a winger or to offer us more through the middle.

• 2 weeks later...

My worry for this guy is that we prefer Perch to him in the defensive midfield role. And Bigirimana too. Add to that he supposedly doesn't want to play fullback and you start to wonder why we didn't just spend the £8m on Debuchy

My worry for this guy is that we prefer Perch to him in the defensive midfield role. And Bigirimana too. Add to that he supposedly doesn't want to play fullback and you start to wonder why we didn't just spend the £8m on Debuchy

:sadnod:

Yep very odd way of spending our cash this summer. I don't mind Perch being preferred there, he plays that role quite well.

Anita is only 23 and quite frankly less experienced than Santon at the top level and having to learn his role in the minefield that is the modern day midfield.

Some people need more time than others they can't all be Cabaye, Cisse etc etc.

yup lot of good players (see colo) have struggled 1st season in the prem

Anita will become good for us, give him some time to settle lads.

My guess is that he was bought in as a 3rd midfielder in a 433.

I still believe 433 was our intention this year (call me naive), but due to injuries/form Pardew have used 442 as he is more content with it.

No one could see Bigi taking to the level as he have done, so it leaves us with Jonas - Bigi - Anita - Perch fighting for the last spot. Jonas is better at CM tbh, but not a specialized CM, Perch is a potato, he can play anywhere.

Anita will use this season to learn his trade, Europa league, FA cup matches and a odd league match.

He looks good at RB to, so he can also be used there to gain experience.

And i disagree with the physical size card being played, there are many other aspects who is more important for a  DM, reading of the game, interceptions, pace, timing, aggression.

I am in no doubt after seeing him a couple of times now, that he has what it takes to make it here.