Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

He's just adapting to the league, like almost all foreign players need to do, anyone writing him off or calling him s*** is just stupid tbh.

True, all we need to do is point to our captain marvel to show we need to give the foreign guys a little more time to bed in.

that was very lucky for us as, imo, if anyone had offered us close to what we paid for him and were prepared to match his wages, he'd have been away. also, does that idea mean we should have kept rozenhal, boumsong, guivarche for longer ?

Rozehnal probably would've developed but when he wasn't playing he wanted out because he was a regular for his country, boumsong didn't have the mental strength of collocini to get over criticism (IMO) and guivach was, well, terrible and completely not suited to partner shearer!

Youv got to judge each player on their merits when you say give them time. Anita seems to be working hard in training with right attitude so yeh give him time, if he had the attitude of ranger I'd pack him off on the next DFDS out of north shields

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2012/11/17/vurnon-anita-driven-to-succeed-after-tough-transition-61634-32250356/

Vurnon Anita driven to succeed after tough transition

by Mark Douglas, The Journal

Nov 17 2012

Vurnon Anita has had a harsh introduction to the Premier League, but he is learning fast. Chief sports writer Mark Douglas reports

WHATEVER it is that Vurnon Anita needs to add to his game to make his mark in the Premier League, it is not confidence.

Inspired by Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s sumptuous scissor-kick against England in the week, the Holland midfielder was asked what the best goal ever scored was. His answer was as quick as the Swede’s instincts in Stockholm.

“My own against Brugge! That was very good,” he said, with a glint in his eye.

Anita may stand at 5ft 6in but he is no shrinking violet. Polite, poised and boasting word-perfect English, the former Ajax man confronts questions about his mixed start in black-and-white head on.

Yes, he confesses, the English game’s physicality has made it tough for him to make an immediate impact. But, he stresses, he is working hard to build up his upper body strength in order to stamp his authority on the Newcastle team soon.

“I expected it to be like this,” he says. “I think I played a couple of games and it was good but for me, I must do extra work for myself, out of the training to become stronger and help me play more games. I am in the gym a lot and running all the time. That is after the main training, or even in the mornings before training. It is the work that I have to do.”

Anita would not be the first player to arrive on these shores with a sparkling reputation and stumble in his first few weeks. There are plenty of examples of it through the years and Newcastle are no strangers to slow-burning imports.

A few years back we would have held José Enrique up as a player who got better and better, but this year’s star performer, Davide Santon, is a more pressing example of the benefits of reserving judgement until a player has got his feet under the table.

There will certainly not be any worries about Anita off the field. He has moved his partner and their young daughter to the North East and lists his interests as his family and football.

You might add a third ‘f’ word to the mix – focus. He has clearly thought deeply about the differences between the Premier League and the Eredivisie, and insists that lazy talk about his lack of stature being the reason for his slow start are not correct.

“The competition is very tough, there are many games, but I enjoy that,” he said. “English football is quicker and much more physical than in Holland and it is more direct. It is more the long ball and fight so it is different. But I think I can play that. I have always been a smaller player. It was the same in Holland so my size is not a problem. I am used to being one of the smallest so that means I must be a lot smarter than the taller guys.”

Having watched his former Ajax team-mates create a real stir by slaying Manchester City last month, Anita would be forgiven for feeling a pang of jealousy or regret at leaving the Dutch capital for pastures new.

Newcastle’s Champions League ambitions have stalled for the moment and the prospect of the Magpies joining his old club at Europe’s top table will rest heavily on a nine-day period that sees United face Swansea, Maritimo, Southampton and Wigan.

Anita’s eyes, though, remained trained on the Champions League prize. Allied to his own desire to play more first-team football, he insists that the top four is a valid aim.

“To play many games for myself and as a team, to finish in the top four to play Champions League football,” he said.

“Last year, they almost made it so we must work hard to improve ourselves and reach our goals. It is really tough to do that but a good challenge.”

With mental fortitude, superior ability and a willingness to work, it is difficult to see how Anita will not eventually make an impact in black-and-white.

But there is a need for patience here, and while Anita may be overlooked this afternoon it is no reflection on Alan Pardew’s faith in his £7m summer capture. That remains unshakeable, even if it is underscored by an acknowledgement that he may take time to make the transition.

“Vurnon has had it difficult,” the Newcastle boss said yesterday.

“He has come from Ajax, a team who dominate possession, and he has come to a team that has been struggling for a bit of form. He has been fine for possession and he is having to learn new skills.

“I am in no doubt he will be a success here, but he is finding the transition hard times – just like (Yohan) Cabaye did at times. He is learning all the time.”

£7m on this guy when he was the last type of player we needed. Joke.

Basically, Pards was having a s***ter of a transfer window so he thought he could run away by signing at least one player that could paper the cracks in a pinch.

Guest palnese

He played a deep lying playmaker or left back at Ajax, why bring him in to play a role that is brand new to him? I just doesn't make any sense.

Guest nufc1892

looks far too lightweight in this league, a strong gust of wind would blow him over

Struggling to work out why we needed to buy him, the poor lad was probably better off staying at Ajax.

f***ing hell man I feel bad for Anita right now.

Think back everyone, think back to what the Ajax fans said- that he would be wasted at Newcastle due to our kick and rush style.

He is the anti-thesis of a Pardew style player who of course tries to play him as some sort of all action box to box 4-4-2 midfielder that he will never be.

Ugh, the guy must be confused when he tries to play football with our team having played a dynamic and central role in the Ajax pass and move football philosophy.

Guest bimpy474

Well if Pardew decides to sign a players like Big Vurn and Cabaye, then doesn't use them in a system they have played all their careers (3 in the middle). Is it any wonder they aren't playing well and to their strengths.

Well if Pardew decides to sign a players like Big Vurn and Cabaye, then doesn't use them in a system they have played all their careers (3 in the middle). Is it any wonder they are playing well and to their strengths.

That is what I had hoped with this signing, 3 in the middle.

Well if Pardew decides to sign a players like Big Vurn and Cabaye, then doesn't use them in a system they have played all their careers (3 in the middle). Is it any wonder they are playing well and to their strengths.

This is the main issue.

Guest bimpy474

Well if Pardew decides to sign a players like Big Vurn and Cabaye, then doesn't use them in a system they have played all their careers (3 in the middle). Is it any wonder they aren't playing well and to their strengths.

That is what I had hoped with this signing, 3 in the middle.

Edit.