Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

His role is probably the most clearly defined in the side but it doesn't work. We essentially played 4-6-0 in that first half and yet when he collected the ball deep there was a gaping hole in the midfield somehow :lol:

His role is probably the most clearly defined in the side but it doesn't work. We essentially played 4-6-0 in that first half and yet when he collected the ball deep there was a gaping hole in the midfield somehow [emoji38]

Because "his role" is a fucking retarded tactic

I really don't get the criticism of him last night. He was the only player on the pitch who had an ounce of urgency about him. He moved into space, looked to release the ball quickly and there wasn't an ounce of movement in front of him so was forced to go backwards. I think I can count on one hand the amount of times someone within a close passing distance actually made a move towards the ball for him and then progressed forwards, it was always instantly returned. Although it is pointless having a player on the pitch that is a link between the back line and the offensive players if none of them are interested. We may as well just hoof it.

Guest reefatoon

I really don't get the criticism of him last night. He was the only player on the pitch who had an ounce of urgency about him. He moved into space, looked to release the ball quickly and there wasn't an ounce of movement in front of him so was forced to go backwards. I think I can count on one hand the amount of times someone within a close passing distance actually made a move towards the ball for him and then progressed forwards, it was always instantly returned. Although it is pointless having a player on the pitch that is a link between the back line and the offensive players if none of them are interested. We may as well just hoof it.

And I really don't understand how he seems to constantly escape criticism from some people, when it's clear as day he is gash and offers as much as Colback does who gets slaughtered on a daily basis. They are both as shit as each other.  Looking at the goal last night, what the fuck was he doing on the edge of the box? Dangling his little foot in half heartedly. He's fucking crap, he drops right in next the the CB's to get the ball, then gives it the the CB's. What's the fucking point?

And I really don't understand how he seems to constantly escape criticism from some people, when it's clear as day he is gash and offers as much as Colback does who gets slaughtered on a daily basis. They are both as s*** as each other.  Looking at the goal last night, what the f*** was he doing on the edge of the box? Dangling his little foot in half heartedly. He's f***ing crap, he drops right in next the the CB's to get the ball, then gives it the the CB's. What's the f***ing point?

That was my point though. His role is to link the defence and midfield when we have the ball but if there's literally no movement and no interest of anyone in front of him to take the ball then what is he supposed to do? I can't really comment on the goal because I didn't get a good look at it from where I was sitting but Anita tried to be urgent yesterday and I from what I saw I couldn't blame him for what was nothing in front.

Guest reefatoon

Again though, it's excuses for him and not blaming him. Colback was doing the exact same thing against Watford, yet it was all his fault that time, not the players around him. Sometimes you just have to say it how it is. It's not the other players fault that anita is not very good, it's just the fact that he is not very good.

Both Anita and/or Jack Spratt would be a back up at very best at the moment. Thankfully though, we sold our other alternative whilst not buying anymore (seemingly Wijnaldum isn't trusted to sit) so we are forced to muddle through.

Guest reefatoon

I guess we disagree. That's not to say I'm anywhere close to happy with any midfield partnership we've put together mind.

This is true, it's alarming we can't put any kind of midfield together without being completely overrun every match, no matter who the opposition is.  Singling any one player out is a little futile I suppose when in fact they are all a bag of shite.

No he didn't, he passed it sideways to Lascelles and Williamson and back again all night.

Possession for Possessions sake.

No he didn't, he passed it sideways to Lascelles and Williamson and back again all night.

Must say the split centre backs thing is potentially suitable when you have good distributors - like Colo and Mbemba are, to be fair to them - but it's absolutely useless when the 3 taking part are Williamson, Lascelles and Anita. Only one of them can pass and he very rarely shows any range at all.

Must say the split centre backs thing is potentially suitable when you have good distributors - like Colo and Mbemba are, to be fair to them - but it's absolutely useless when the 3 taking part are Williamson, Lascelles and Anita. Only one of them can pass and he very rarely shows any range at all.

For that to work, Anita would have to be a very good long passer and he isn't, well he might be but he doesn't take any risks

If the CB's are very good at passing. Arguably better than the DM. Perhaps the DM himself moves up the pitch and leaves distribution to the defeners?

If the CB's are very good at passing. Arguably better than the DM. Perhaps the DM himself moves up the pitch and leaves distribution to the defeners?

The point of the tactic is about reworking space, drawing out their forward line (creating gaps) and pushing full backs up higher. It's not just for keeping the ball, it's to allow more open patterns of play higher up the pitch.