Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

Guest neesy111

I'd love to know who scouted Anita and thought we should fork out nearly £7m for him by the way. Lunacy.

Another Graeme Carr masterstroke.

Thought he was half decent last night, must've been watching the wrong game. :lol:

He was better than the ginger Pirlo, that's for sure. Whether he was a good signing is a different matter, but between the two of them I know which one I would ditch first.

I thought this ranked as another of his notorious non-performances last night. He was atrocious defensively and completely avergae offensively, my major being him leaving his man and getting sucked into the ball play area like a kid in the playground for the first goal, the second goal wasn't much better, just accentuated his weakness against any other reasonably sized midfielder.

When we refurb the two DMs we can perhaps talk about competing properly.

P.S. I thought wijnaldum last night wasn't fit to wear the shirt, looked uninterested and completely anaemic.

At least he has the ability to pass forward. Would take him over ginger any day of the week

He didn't pass the ball forward and into the box once last night, not once.

Which other players passed into the box? Our RB had 3 of our 4 shots because of it. So that is a ridiculous thing to criticise Anita for :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

If we'd been a team similar to Swansea at the time it would have been the perfect signing. As it happens, we were the complete antithesis of that and naturally he looked/looks like shit.

At least he has the ability to pass forward. Would take him over ginger any day of the week

Which other players passed into the box? Our RB had 3 of our 4 shots because of it. So that is a ridiculous thing to criticise Anita for :lol:

He did actually pass the ball forward from his own half pretty well, and considering that's the part of the pitch he's supposed to be operating that's all you can really ask. I thought he was okay last night to be honest, he won a few good challenges early on and took the ball from the central defenders like he should. If he was supposed to be man marking Payet like the commentators seemed to think, then he failed at that. But then just because they said that was his job doesn't mean it was actually true.

He did actually pass the ball forward from his own half pretty well, and considering that's the part of the pitch he's supposed to be operating that's all you can really ask. I thought he was okay last night to be honest, he won a few good challenges early on and took the ball from the central defenders like he should. If he was supposed to be man marking Payet like the commentators seemed to think, then he failed at that. But then just because they said that was his job doesn't mean it was actually true.

Even if he was supposed to man mark Payet, it was Colback who was closets to him for the first goal. But his chronic lack of positioning and non existent pace meant he couldn't block the shot.

Wijnaldum was also at sleep in the first goal. Saw Payet free, then decided to run towards him and suddenly stop and left him totally free. Of course all the others were ball watching and Colback's block was worthless.

My main issue with him last night is, if he is being asked to pivot, where he is receiving the ball. He was in a virtual back 3 at times last night, it's way to deep and our midfield was way to spread to do any building of play effectively.

My main issue with him last night is, if he is being asked to pivot, where he is receiving the ball. He was in a virtual back 3 at times last night, it's way to deep and our midfield was way to spread to do any building of play effectively.

The tactic itself is pretty common, isn't it? Split the centre halves, stick a DM between and push the full backs up to try and stretch narrow teams? You're right about our own shape being too stretched, though, massive hole in the middle that Colback and Wijnaldum needed to help fill.

The tactic itself is pretty common, isn't it? Split the centre halves, stick a DM between and push the full backs up to try and stretch narrow teams? You're right about our own shape being too stretched, though, massive hole in the middle that Colback and Wijnaldum needed to help fill.

Yeah it is but when you're doing it 25 yards from goal away from home it ain't the best.

One of the problems I have with most of our team, but Anita specifically, is this habit of just retreating behind the ball when chasing someone back, rather than actually closing the man down or getting a foot in. I'm positive it's a piece of Pardew coaching as we have done it for years, so damn annoying.

The most damning thing was that when he went off and Wijnaldum dropped back we didn't really look any more vulnerable defensively. That's not me having a go at Anita either, it's more of an indictment of our reliance on two holding midfielders.

Of course it isn't. Just because other players aren't doing their jobs properly that doesn't mean we can't criticise Anita for not doing his on a thread entitled "Vernon Anita" ffs! They're all culpable and if you go to the Colback or Sissoko thread you'll see they come in for the same criticism.

What a stupid thing to come out with. It's like saying just because he's not Colback we can't pick fault with him when in reality they're both as much to blame as each other for not doing what they're supposed to be doing.