Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

Hmm, really cannot see Jonas being dropped. Not sure what we're planning to do with Anita.

cant he play at LB? ... santon RB anita LB??

nope, he's looked poor whenever he's played there. he playe wide either side, central midfield at a push but not regular.

i was on about anita not jonas  (Apologies if you were aswell)

aye , i thought you meant jonas. really can't see us playing anita there, he's a midfielder who filled in there.

It won't be the end of anyone, we need a thick squad for all the games we're playing and Pardew's been talking about having to change the mentality of players, about there being 1 fixed first team that stays basically the same, into a rotating squad like Man U manage. It'll be really tough and think it'll be the problem that detirmines how this season goes. I think we do have enough team spirit that people will survive been benched for the odd game, and I think Jonas of all the players will bring maturity to deal with it and hopefully will be an example to younger players.

I hope you're right, but people need to remember where/who we are. We've had one fantastic season, we're not a top club yet. There are plenty of clubs that have attempted to introduce regular rotation of their first team and failed miserably. Our team spirit is righly championed as one of our biggest strengths at present, I'm worried about jeopardising that.

can't have it both ways. i thought people were shouting about extra games and needing a bigger squad.

Bigger squad in positions we are weak.

i'd rather play shola for a run of games, williamson for a run of games than any of our other options in centre mid. as pointed out earlier guthrie played 19 games last season. up fron we could go with a 3, ben arfa/marveaux alongside a forward if we suffered injuries, williamson wasn't too bad once he got settled in after injury. we have very limited options and no cover in centre mid. potential we have loads of but nothing i'd put in for a long spell of games.

edit, fwiw i still think we'll have at least 2 from RB, CF, CH before the deadline aswell.

€8m would  have sealed the Debuchy deal, which was far more important than this one.

IYO, i'd put them equally. a player like debuchy could massivly alter the way we play for the better. however so would a player for that role in a middle 3, cover for when cabaye or tiote or out etc.

Probably has been said already, but i would have classed our priority positions as being a RB,CB and a CF. This deal is very meh to me... :hmm:

do you think our best formation is 4-3-3 ? who else should play in that 3 ? who would you choose to play any long spell of games like guthrie did last season ? do we have to sign players in order of priority ?

€8m would  have sealed the Debuchy deal, which was far more important than this one.

IYO, i'd put them equally. a player like debuchy could massivly alter the way we play for the better. however so would a player for that role in a middle 3, cover for when cabaye or tiote or out etc.

Debuchy would be an immediate and significant upgrade on the obvious weak link in our team for a reasonable price. Anita is another option for a position where we are pretty well covered imo, especially as its unclear how often we will play 4-3-3.

Debuchy would be an immediate and significant upgrade on the obvious weak link in our team for a reasonable price. Anita is another option for a position where we are pretty well covered imo, especially as its unclear how often we will play 4-3-3.

covered in numbers but no one you'd like to see in a long run of games and no one you'd like to see as a regular in a middle 3.

If we're talking squad cover, releasing Danny Guthrie - signed for £2.5m and apparently paid a pittance by Premier League players' standards - on a free and replacing him with a £7m Holland international from Ajax doesn't seem like a very 'Mike Ashley' thing to do.

If we're talking squad cover, releasing Danny Guthrie - signed for £2.5m and apparently paid a pittance by Premier League players' standards - on a free and replacing him with a £7m Holland international from Ajax doesn't seem like a very 'Mike Ashley' thing to do.

it means he can play there in a 2 should we get an injury to one of the other 2, you know personally i see a middle 3 as the way to go and have done since we signed ben arfa.

Probably has been said already, but i would have classed our priority positions as being a RB,CB and a CF. This deal is very meh to me... :hmm:

do you think our best formation is 4-3-3 ? who else should play in that 3 ? who would you choose to play any long spell of games like guthrie did last season ? do we have to sign players in order of priority ?

I do think 4-3-3 is our best position, but i do not think that pardew does, so we probably wont play it

Signing a Dutch international relatively cheap with the potential to sell for a lot more a few years down the line though, is very 'Mike Ashley'.

Will be delighted with this signing if it happens, our depth at fullback and CM is more or less non-existent.

Yes we need other signings, and hopefully we get them, but a CM was also very much needed. The fact that he can cover at fullback only makes it all the more attractive.

what's 8 mill euros in pounds?

£6.27m by a rough google search.

Hm,ok. Those of you who have seen him play,is he worth it? What is his best position? Backup or replacement for Tiote or Cabaye?

Edit: fuck autocorrection on iPad...

what's 8 mill euros in pounds?

£6.27m by a rough google search.

Hm,ok. Thoseof you who have seen him plan,is he worth it? What is his best position? Backup or replacement for Tiote or Cabaye?

or alongside ?

He means cover if they get get injured or what ever, doesn't mean we are signing him as a mere back up or he wont start just that if Tiote or Cabaye were injured then he could play their role instead and there wouldn't be any real issues.

But play alongside them usually, atm if one of them got injured for long periods then we are relying on the kids for long periods and results would likely suffer.

But in the main he would be bought to play alongside them i imagine.

Competition for places could be their thinking. Guthrie was never going to force his way into the team when Cab-Cab and Tiote were fit, whereas this lad might be good enough or do well enough to get in the first 11 regularly on merit and not just because he needs to be.

I've just watched three of four clips of this guy on Youtube, there's some good 5-10 min long videos of him if anyone hasn't seen him yet.

The player that immediately came to mind when watching it was Leon Britton. He plays deep and keeps the ball moving tidily, always offering an option for the defenders. I did notice a lack of pressing from the opposition in all the highlights though, so I guess anyone could look half decent in those circumstances.

Intriguing to see how we'd fit him in as people have already said.

Signing a Dutch international relatively cheap with the potential to sell for a lot more a few years down the line though, is very 'Mike Ashley'.

Hang on, everyone says we don't actually do this.