New TV Deal - £3bn Over 3 Years.

Turnbull2000

Guest neesy111

The fact is the increase in money will all go into the players pocket like it has for the last 2 decades.

What's wrong with that?

Do you not find it nauseating that players earn £100,000+ a week?

Doesn't sit easy with me.

And there I was thinking maybe the bubble was about to burst...

It still will but like a bubble that gets bigger the bust will be bigger.  I still can't see how BT can afford the contract they've given unless they get stupid amount of paying subscribers.

Wonder what impact this will have on our transfer strategy this summer? Certainly increases the chance of us holding onto our players

Why would it make a difference to either aspect?

Not sure what he's getting at but it does make the UK market stand out.

It will be even cheaper for Premier League clubs to do their shopping abroad rather than in the British transfer market with too much money floating around, inflating prices further. I suppose in that sense it means we might hold on to our players as it's far more attractive for our rivals to import than buy domestically.

That said, that has been the case for a number of years but many clubs still haven't caught on.

Alternatively other clubs will be able to offer our players even higher wages without having to do anything for it.

The fact is the increase in money will all go into the players pocket like it has for the last 2 decades.

What's wrong with that?

Are you happy with footballers earning 100k+ a week?

Where would you rather the money went?

Guest neesy111

What's wrong with that?

Are you happy with footballers earning 100k+ a week?

Where would you rather the money went?

Reducing ticket prices or making the TV cheaper so football was accessible to almost everyone or reducing clubs debt so they don't end up owing the tax payer.  You do know the vast amount of the Sky Price is due to football....

Wonder what impact this will have on our transfer strategy this summer? Certainly increases the chance of us holding onto our players

It will be even cheaper for Premier League clubs to do their shopping abroad rather than in the British transfer market with too much money floating around, inflating prices further. I suppose in that sense it means we might hold on to our players as it's far more attractive for our rivals to import than buy domestically.

That said, that has been the case for a number of years but many clubs still haven't caught on.

Alternatively other clubs will be able to offer our players even higher wages without having to do anything for it.

Yeah but so would we if we feel a player's worth the higher wage.  This should actually bridge the gap between us and wealther clubs to a degree.  For instance Man Utd's revenue would increase by 12% with this new TV deal given the same league finish, ours would increase by 30%.

Guest neesy111

Yeah but so would we if we feel a player is worth the higher wage.  This should actually bridge the gap between us and wealther clubs to a degree.  For instance Man Utd's revenue would increase by 12% with this new TV deal given the same league finish, ours would increase by 30%.

It has to be linked with Performance related pay.  In general a club should always have a wage structure so that they will always break even despite where they finish.  I don't mind players earning big bonuses for finishing 5th in the league.

Yeah but so would we if we feel a player is worth the higher wage.  This should actually bridge the gap between us and wealther clubs to a degree.  For instance Man Utd's revenue would increase by 12% with this new TV deal given the same league finish, ours would increase by 30%.

It has to be linked with Performance related pay.  In general a club should always have a wage structure so that they will always break even despite where they finish.  I don't mind players earning big bonuses for finishing 5th in the league.

I agree, just pointing out that this extra money will come to us as well as other Premier League clubs, so I wouldn't worry about it making them even more able to outspend us.  On the other hand it should definitely push us further ahead of a lot of foreign sides financially, which is good since that's mostly were we buy our players :)

I look forward to ticket prices falling and clubs having a far more sensible wages to turnover ratio.

Alternatively everyone just gets paid more.

That is the truly stomach churning thing about this.

With this kind of income, the clubs could immediately put into place a Bundesliga style pricing model, and really increase inclusivity in the game, and guarantee their future audience.

Will they, though? Will they fucking bollocks.

It'll all go into the pockets of fucking shyster agents, who do nothing, and players, many of whom do barely more.

Guest neesy111

I look forward to ticket prices falling and clubs having a far more sensible wages to turnover ratio.

Alternatively everyone just gets paid more.

With this kind of income, the clubs could immediately put into place a Bundesliga style pricing model, and really increase inclusivity in the game, and guarantee their future audience.

Will they, though? Will they fucking bollocks.

It'll all go into the pockets of fucking shyster agents, who do nothing, and players, many of whom do barely more.

Sadly this is the truth.  I still maintain my believe that eventually attendances will plummet in English football if clubs continue with above inflation ticket increases which have happened for the last 20 years.

It's ridiculous that there is so much debt in the game despite it being flushed with more money than ever before. 

Guest neesy111

Tbf, most leagues around Europe have had bumper tv deals in recent years as well.

Guest Recoba

Mental the increase in revenue.

Ok for sky. Paid loads more for one more game more but retain MNF and super sunday. The sat 1230 games dont draw loads of viewers so maybe the Sat 1730 games will be bettet for them. Sky will just pass on the costs to subscribers.

Big blow for ESPN. FA cup, SPL and Europa League along with Bundes anf Serie A etc unlikely to justify a monthlt subscription. Probably go within a package on Sky like on Virgin Media rather than requiring a seperate subscription.

Bad for Virgin Media losing PL within a standrd package.

Interesting for BT who will launch something like old Prem Plus. BT will use PL to sell triple play packages and infinity.

Sky and Bt have probably overpaid. La liga rights are now available so Espn may grab that to try and stay premium.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I'm hoping ESPN UK reclaim the NHL rights. They still have plenty to offer, but the structuring of it is all over the place, they'll happily knockback showing NBA if they can show MLS instead... MLS?!

Still, I'll be on the phone as soon as their last Premier League season is over hoping they'll reduce the sub rate for 6 months or something (can imagine a lot of people will be trying that).

its a big increase on the domestic market though which considering the general state of the economy is surprising. I do wonder if the reason ESPN lost out on the smaller package is because they tried to grab the main ones off sky though thats random thoughts more than any actual knowledge of how this works

As a VM custoemr I'm kind of pissed they didn't have a good go for some of the rights. I mean if BT can make a bid then surely VM can. It would have given them something to negotiate with Sky over, they can have our VM sports and VM can have Sky Atlantic.

The increase isn't really significant when you consider the international tv deal.

With all other current deals being the same it increases the total Premier League TV money from £2.76 billion to £4 billion, a 46% increase which I definitely wouldn't describe as not significant.  God knows what it'll be when the next international TV deal is negotiated again.

EDIT: Looking around it seems the international TV deal was renewed from 2010-2013 at £1.4b in 2010, which would make the total more like £3.4 billion before this new deal and £4.66 billion afterwards, still a 38% increase though.

Will they, though? Will they f***ing bollocks.

It'll all go into the pockets of f***ing shyster agents, who do nothing, and players, many of whom do barely more.

:thup:

Perhaps the best way of highlighting the magnitude of the increase is to look at the amount paid per game, which has increased from the current £4.3 million to £6.5 million, working out to an astounding £73,000 per minute.

:lol:

Is this deal the reason why clubs such as Reading/ Southampton etc are gambling with big purchases as they don't want to miss out next season (Also maybe a reason why we are offering for De Jong etc) ? Just a thought

Guest neesy111

Is this deal the reason why clubs such as Reading/ Southampton etc are gambling with big purchases as they don't want to miss out next season (Also maybe a reason why we are offering for De Jong etc) ? Just a thought

They can afford to with the new Parachute payments tbh.  They both have wealthy backers as well (Reading just been bought).