Luuk de Jong signs for PSV

BeloEmre

Does anyone actually think we are going to sign someone this window, I haven't even contemplated thinking about the possibility that we will sign someone :lol: Just such a lack of ambition from the club, we are just happy with mid-table, so Ashley can get a decent pay packet at the end of the season. Imo finishing mid-table is one of the worst possible things in football, in terms of entertainment, I guess it wouldn't be so bad if we had a manager that had the team playing the right way and didn't have such a negative manager. I think I would rather us flirt with relegation (albeit only if we survived), as you would have something to fight for and be passionate about, but currently it just feels like i'm going through the motions, thing is it wouldn't be so bad if we actually had a decent attempt at one of the cup, but we can't even do that. 

Newcastle United hope to push through a loan move for striker Luuk de Jong in time to hand him a debut at Norwich a week today.

Despite claims from across the Channel of an agreement being reached for long-term United target Remy Cabella, The Journal understands that De Jong remains the priority target and their attention will be focused on clinching a deal for the Borussia Monchengladbach forward in the next seven days.

Terms have been agreed for the switch but the German club – who want to secure a replacement before allowing him to leave – are looking for more assurances from Newcastle before sanctioning the deal. Those hurdles should be cleared in the next seven days, which would provide United boss Alan Pardew with a timely boost ahead of a run of fixtures that could define the Magpies’ campaign.

But as Newcastle look to make progress on the De Jong front this week, they have yet to table a formal offer for Montpellier’s talented playmaker Cabella.

That is despite claims in France that a deal has been agreed which would see Cabella join Newcastle in the summer – perhaps with a view to replacing Yohan Cabaye.

United have a long-term interest in Cabella, who is rated at around £12.3million by the Ligue 1 club, but believe that the latest round of quotes from France represent Montpellier trying to drum up interest in their star asset.

Responding to weekend reports that Newcastle were set to strike a deal for the player this month, Montpellier’s president Laurent Nicollin was quoted saying it was “certain” that he would remain in France until the close season. He later issued a clarification, saying he was happy to discuss a deal in the summer.

As Newcastle look to bring in recruits there was a fresh round of speculation surrounding the future of Cabaye, who jetted out with the rest of the squad on the club’s sunshine break in Abu Dhabi.

He was heavily linked with Paris Saint Germain over the weekend but The Journal understands that there has been no contact from the French side. Even so, Newcastle are aware that their star asset will attract interest and have drawn up a list of alternative options if the France schemer does leave.

“It would be good to recruit a player in the heart of the game, to have an extra player in midfield,” he said. “We need a player who has the same mentality as the others when they are playing or on the bench. He must love to play.

“He must be technically good and be tough, and whether this player comes or does not come, there will be competition in all positions.

“I’ve been saying for a month and a half – and the injury to Adrien makes it more urgent – that we need an extra player in midfield.”

Blanc was then quizzed on Cabaye specifically. He said: “I ask myself. I know the man. He has that character, but there are others.

“We are very happy with this team, but with all the competitions in which we are engaged we must be aware there will be issues, as we have seen with Adrien Rabiot.”

Meanwhile, Pardew headed for the club’s sunshine break having pin-pointed extra training ground time as the main reason for their away-day improvement. Saturday was United’s sixth away win of the campaign. He said: “The difference is I know I keep banging on about it is that with the squad that we have, the size of the squad, it is working the first team.

“We had no Europa League last week obviously and you get that little extra rest and you get that extra work on the training ground.

“We really focused on our three midfield players this week to dominate that area and I thought that came through, we were terrific in the first half particularly.”

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/newcastle-united-aim-luuk-de-6532195

Does anyone actually think we are going to sign someone this window, I haven't even contemplated thinking about the possibility that we will sign someone :lol: Just such a lack of ambition from the club, we are just happy with mid-table, so Ashley can get a decent pay packet at the end of the season. Imo finishing mid-table is one of the worst possible things in football, in terms of entertainment, I guess it wouldn't be so bad if we had a manager that had the team playing the right way and didn't have such a negative manager. I think I would rather us flirt with relegation (albeit only if we survived), as you would have something to fight for and be passionate about, but currently it just feels like i'm going through the motions, thing is it wouldn't be so bad if we actually had a decent attempt at one of the cup, but we can't even do that. 

Give over.. :lol:

Flipping heck, give me what is happening this season over last season any day of the week. Last season was horrendous, the more and more it went on thinking the shit would hit the fan. This season is more of a frustration, especially the cups, but we have had some amazing wins this season and a really good run could see us flirt with a Europa League place. Frustrating as well thinking a modest investment in the playing squad would further enhance those ambitions from unlikely to a realistic opportunity.

Flipping heck, give me what is happening this season over last season any day of the week. Last season was horrendous, the more and more it went on thinking the shit would hit the fan. This season is more of a frustration, especially the cups, but we have had some amazing wins this season and a really good run could see us flirt with a Europa League place. Frustrating as well thinking a modest investment in the playing squad would further enhance those ambitions from unlikely to a realistic opportunity.

I'm talking more in the sense of feeling towards the club, obviously I never want us to go down, and if given the choice I would never want even the possibility of going down, but this season has just been so frustrating and boring and mediocre, that that passion is starting to fade. Where as last year albeit fucking wank, we had something to fight for, and have passion for, with both the Europa League and Premier League. I remember when Cisse scored that last minute goal against Fulham, I don't think I have celebrated as much as I did for that goal, whereas this season when I celebrate it seems very mute, and downplayed.

Flipping heck, give me what is happening this season over last season any day of the week. Last season was horrendous, the more and more it went on thinking the s*** would hit the fan. This season is more of a frustration, especially the cups, but we have had some amazing wins this season and a really good run could see us flirt with a Europa League place. Frustrating as well thinking a modest investment in the playing squad would further enhance those ambitions from unlikely to a realistic opportunity.

I'm talking more in the sense of feeling towards the club, obviously I never want us to go down, and if given the choice I would never want even the possibility of going down, but this season has just been so frustrating and boring and mediocre, that that passion is starting to fade. Where as last year albeit f***ing w***, we had something to fight for, and have passion for, with both the Europa League and Premier League. I remember when Cisse scored that last minute goal against Fulham, I don't think I have celebrated as much as I did for that goal, whereas this season when I celebrate it seems very mute, and downplayed.

This season isn't over by a long stretch. We are what, 6 points from a Europe qualifying position? Aye, very mediocre and boring. Rather be in the mackems position.. :anguish:

After recent seasons of finishing 13th, 12th, 18th, 16th etc. I don't quite get the furore about finishing in and around 8th.

What is the point in finishing 8th? What are we aiming for? I want a goal for the club that doesn't revolve around just existing in the Premier League. Are we trying to get European competition and push on from there? If there was a goal beyond this season, I'd be more than happy finishing 8th, but there isn't. Finishing 8th is what we're striving to do. Do well without daring to get ourselves involved in European competition. Yay. So exciting.

Not sure why this is happening in this thread like.

Nice avatar Yorkie! Such a beauty should be on the pitch every week and entertain us.

:facepalm:

You're having a headache or what??

It's a Luuk de Jong thread....... not "look at how much I love Benny" screaming match.

Oh my God! Apologies to the whole world :lol: Must have touched a soft spot.