Junior Hoilett finally joins QPR

Guest sicko2ndbest

We were mid-table when he was here, Liverpool became firmly mid-table with him and now a raft of mid-table clubs are interested in him. Maybe he's mid-table.

Were Spurs midtable when they bid 25 milion?

I'm not on a crusade btw.

:rolleyes:

I'm not. I just fail to see why people would be so opposed to bringing Carroll back on loan, thus saving money for other priority positions and giving us a different option up top. As I've already said, I won't shed a tear if we don't get him in as long as we get another quality forward in and I will completely trust Carr, Pardew and Mike for once in whatever decision they make, as they've earned that trust. I'm not advocating buying Carroll at 15 million if we have better options just to get one over Liverpool or anything.

I do happen to think that a lot of people are oversimplifying what getting Carroll back in would mean for our set-up and underestimating what the player himself could add to our squad though, as you may have noticed.. ;)

Guest Howaythetoon

Carroll is worth nowhere near 15m.

If he had broke through the youth ranks of LFC and last season was his breakthrough year, he would be regarded as an average player likely to end up in the Championship or a lower PL team.

His goals and performances for NUFC (and the quite stupid fee LFC paid for him) over-inflate his ability and indeed market value. In his prime for us he was worth about 10-12m tops in reality. Today, he should be considered worth half of that based on an appaling season last year and some very very poor performances. That and a meagre goals return, his dodgy attitude and his limited abilities, i.e. lack of pace.

I'd rather have Hoilett, in fact I'd rather have a whole hos of players. That other Geordie lad at Swansea, he's a better player than Carroll for example.

Carroll is worth nowhere near 15m.

If he had broke through the youth ranks of LFC and last season was his breakthrough year, he would be regarded as an average player likely to end up in the Championship or a lower PL team.

His goals and performances for NUFC (and the quite stupid fee LFC paid for him) over-inflate his ability and indeed market value. In his prime for us he was worth about 10-12m tops in reality. Today, he should be considered worth half of that based on an appaling season last year and some very very poor performances. That and a meagre goals return, his dodgy attitude and his limited abilities, i.e. lack of pace.

I'd rather have Hoilett, in fact I'd rather have a whole hos of players. That other Geordie lad at Swansea, he's a better player than Carroll for example.

While I agree that Carroll is probably between 10-12m bracket (if you look at what he should be, not the English-born 50% extra pricetag) he is definitely a much better player than Danny Graham. From what I saw of Graham last season, and I watched quite a few of their games, he fluffed chance after chance. In most games where I saw Carroll play, he had a lot of shots blocked on the line and some good saves denying him.

Carroll, if he worked on his right foot and got a hell of a lot of coaching to help his movement in the box, would be a very, very good player. Right now, he's just a good player

Guest firetotheworks

Andy Carroll is worth £15 million. Of course he is man. You pay market value, not global value.

Of course when you look at Cisse for £9m and all of the other players that have come from abroad, then yeah, he's probably worth, what? £7 million.

What people are forgetting is that A) He's English, meaning that going by the market value, you can probably double the price he would be to buy from France or Holland.

B) He's an England international

C) He's 23

D) He has at some point in the last few years been worth £15 million +

E) He has a unique atribute in that he's fucking class in the air.

It's easy to look at our transfers and start comparing them with the idea of buying Carroll for £15 million, but we sold him for £35m 18 months ago, and I would say the majority of us were gutted.

It's only the vindication of selling for such an obscene amount that has had people thinking that he's now worth nothing, let alone £15m.

It's easy to argue that we should spend that money elsewhere and perhaps pay less, or get a better player, but that doesn't mean that £15m is not the market value for Carroll. £15m is the market value, not ours as fans.

We could go and spend 30 mil on a striker and he might turn out to be dross, imo hes good value at 15-18 million, we know he will score goals and will be mighty useful when we are under the coshh for an outlet, cause whetever people say, if we are not playing well even if we have Danny simpson upfront on his own we will still play long ball when we are playing shit.

Andy Carroll is worth £15 million. Of course he is man. You pay market value, not global value.

Of course when you look at Cisse for £9m and all of the other players that have come from abroad, then yeah, he's probably worth, what? £7 million.

What people are forgetting is that A) He's English, meaning that going by the market value, you can probably double the price he would be to buy from France or Holland.

C) He's 23

E) He has a unique atribute in that he's f***ing class in the air.

It's easy to look at our transfers and start comparing them with the idea of buying Carroll for £15 million, but we sold him for £35m 18 months ago, and I would say the majority of us were gutted.

It's only the vindication of selling for such an obscene amount that has had people thinking that he's now worth nothing, let alone £15m.

It's easy to argue that we should spend that money elsewhere and perhaps pay less, or get a better player, but that doesn't mean that £15m is not the market value for Carroll. £15m is the market value, not ours as fans.

:thup:

Someone said this before and I actually agree (although the money is obviously a massive part of it) but he is going to be a guaranteed starter there and there is a chance they could become a good club given the backing they have.

If he came here he would (for me at least) have a real fight for his place and wouldn't be in my first choice 11 at the moment.

It's not like top players going to PSG, Russia, China etc..

I don't think it's all about money, only 80% of it :pow:

C) He's 23

E) He has a unique atribute in that he's f***ing class in the air.

:thup:

Got to agree with Kid Icarus too. Talks alot of sense here.

Would also agree that Debuchy, Douglas (or similar ) should be prioritised. I'd also love Hoilett to sign as unlikely as that now looks and could see us pushing for champions league spot again just with those three (not losing anyone). Carroll on top of those three would be mind blowingly good  Add Anita and Curtis good and that really would be an amazingly brilliant transfer window. 

Can someone explain to me why Andy Carroll is not a 15m striker?

goals...hasnt scored nearly enough to warrant that price tag.

What price tag should be put on him then? Same goes for Torres.

If he was a 15m striker manu would be in for him....

He is worth 7-10m and that is being generous, buy him for any more and you are getting robbed

I think sometimes people forget he is still pretty much unproven in the Premier League.  He's barey played a full season. Yes he is English but value for money still has to come into the equation.  What are you getting for 15 mil? You can't say goals. 

He hasn't really done much more than somebody like Danny Graham has done only doing it at an earlier age.

Graham scored 24 for Watford in the Champ, then in his first top flight season had 10 by about the half way mark only to tail off a bit second half of the season. Carroll scored 17 in the Champ, then had 11 top flight goals when Liverpool paid £35 million for him.

What's the difference? Carroll had some very impressive individual displays and scored some goals against the better sides in his favour, but generally the stats and upwards curve align fairly similarly.

Similar story for Andy Johnson in 04/05 and Michael Ricketts in 01/02.

He hasn't really done much more than somebody like Danny Graham has done only doing it at an earlier age.

Graham scored 24 for Watford in the Champ, then in his first top flight season had 10 by about the half way mark only to tail off a bit second half of the season. Carroll scored 17 in the Champ, then had 11 top flight goals when Liverpool paid £35 million for him.

What's the difference? Carroll had some very impressive individual displays and scored some goals against the better sides in his favour, but generally the stats and upwards curve align fairly similarly.

Similar story for Andy Johnson in 04/05 and Michael Ricketts in 01/02.

Wonder why they didnt go for 35 million.

That's the point of the post. Clearly Liverpool were fucking insane.

I'm not saying he's worse or better than those players, just making a comparison. All 4's career paths and debut PL seasons follow a similar trajectory. Duo has a point that he is not a proven top flight goalscorer though.

Laughable how a few are using Liverpool's insanity and stupidity of buying Carroll for 35M as justification of why Carroll at 15M is good value. When you benchmark your price against stupidity, then guess what, the justification is stupid too!