The other games today - 2012/13

Neil

Thought the penalty was harsh but was made to look even more controversial because a) it was very late in the game and b) the general consensus is Dortmund deserved to win.

Anyway, after how it never quite happened for them last year, good to see Dortmund proving their quality in the CL this year.

Didn't want that to end! What a half, City lucky to have Joe Hart. They should never have been in that. Unreal atmosphere at the end there.

A £600,000 signing from Shrewsbury Town btw, over two years before these wankers came along.

If ball strikes arm = no penalty... If arm moves towards direction ball is travelling in = penalty... The simple difference between non-deliberate and deliberate handball... The rule... Just no one seems to understand it... Especially modern day refs... Fans... Players... Pundits... Quite scary...

Guest Sophie S

Harsh on the player, as it wasn't intentional, but if the ball is going towards goal - should be a pen. IMO.

Not the rule though.

Maybe not, but rules aren't always right either :pow:

What the f*** is the defender supposed to do, make his arms fall off?

Not his fault. Still a pen.

Can't deny the opposition a strike on goal because the handball was accidental.

It wasn't even a strike on goal just a punt.

Beren, how would you set the rule then? Hand/arm on ball always a penalty when inside the box? I think it is quite fair that an undeliberate handball is no penalty, when it is not clearly blocking ball on it's path to goal.

Just asking in general, I haven't see the incident myself. (Even though I'm bloody annoyed that Dortmund didn't win this. I'm not as confident as some others here and think they will bottle it later in the group stage.)

Harsh on the player, as it wasn't intentional, but if the ball is going towards goal - should be a pen. IMO.

Not the rule though.

Maybe not, but rules aren't always right either :pow:

What the f*** is the defender supposed to do, make his arms fall off?

Not his fault. Still a pen.

Can't deny the opposition a strike on goal because the handball was accidental.

It wasn't even a strike on goal just a punt.

Beren, how would you set the rule then? Hand/arm on ball always a penalty when inside the box? I think it is quite fair that an undeliberate handball is no penalty, when it is not clearly blocking ball on it's path to goal.

Just asking in general, I haven't see the incident myself. (Even though I'm bloody annoyed that Dortmund didn't win this. I'm not as confident as some others here and think they will bottle it later in the group stage.)

Haven't viewed it multiple times, but the ball seemed to me, to be travelling goalwards.

I propose a two-tier test, really:

1. Deliberate? Yes: Penalty. No: No penalty, unless...

2. Ball going towards goal/time to move the arm out of the way? Yes: Penalty. No: No penalty.

For example, a defender who accidentally raises his hand when a ball is lofted into the six-yard box should be penalised, but if a winger boots a ball at point-blank range at a defender on the edge of the box while trying to stop a cross: no penalty.

Just think you shouldn't disadvantage an attacking side, just because the defender didn't have the mens rea to subvert the natural course of the ball.

Just seen Aaron Ramsey scored.  Does this mean someone famous is going to die?

http://www.politicalpictures.co.uk/uploads/detail2/24092010160908_0.jpg

Now that would be a result.

Dortmund was fantastic tonight if they scored 4 or 5 it would not have been an unfair valuation of their dominance and Gotze was fantastic but as usual with Dortmund their finishing is awful, especially Lewandowski :facepalm:

That being said the penalty City got was never a penalty, i personally hope Dortmund's poor finishing does not come back to bite them on the arse.

I know City are from England etc etc but i couldn't really care i wan't to see the teams i enjoy watching progress regardless of nationality.

And Dortmund consistently play some of the best stuff in Europe for me and anyway City have hardly any English players anyway :lol: