The other games today - 2012/13

Neil

So we're behind Liverpool now, and even a win tomorrow will only take us 10th. Worse goal difference than anyone in the top half, including Swansea and West Ham. Champions League spots (lol) already look like they're restricted to one, not that it was likely to be any different of course.

Need to buck our ideas up very soon.

I realise it is poor forum etiquette to ask in a (seemingly, but unintended) brusque/smug way, but what were you expecting? Your earliest post about Chelsea and Spurs being miles ahead of us made me ask the same question too.

Early season form has, thus far, borne out many of the concerns/predictions which were expected to surface last season. We did remarkably well last season, and I wouldn't seek to denigrate the achievement of finishing fifth (which is, for a club of our financial standing in 2012, a decent achievement) but we were never anywhere close to playing the type of football required to continue competing with those teams long-term without significantly more investment and/or a improved Pardew/better manager.

We eked out narrow victories on the back of our talented first XI. We rarely played good football IMO. (This is, I think, largely accepted forum tautology).

Given summer activity around us, I really have come into this season thinking predictions of higher than 8th are optimistic in the extreme (which is why the Spurs/Chelsea comment made me furrow my brow - you might as well just have said Man Utd/Man City :laugh:). FWIW, I really rate the potential of our first XI - who are capable of magnificent things but I think we'd have a good season to finish 10th given the other crucial factors which weigh in to what is required to hit that top six this season.

2012/13 is all about the cups for me.

This season is about finding the right formation and style of play, then we can build a team over the next 8 years with Pardew. Last season we won every coin toss until Cisse came in, then played some fantastic stuff in the 4-3-3. Pardew needs to figure out what he is doing, and where needs improving.

The sales of Best and the aquisition of Anita don't make any sense to me thus far. Not saying Anita is a bad player, I just don't know why we spunked 8 million on him.

Fair post that from Beren, last season everything went our way really. I'll always believe that to succeed you need to control games, dominate possession and play football on the floor. To have sustained success, you need that, we just dont have it and don't look like getting it soon. Still, we're still a top 8 team and have some great players. Another couple of excellent ball-players over the next couple of years could push us on but it's a big ask and we need to hold onto the best we have right now. I'm trying to ignore all this and just hoping we start lookin happier, more fluid and more full of energy soon. Tomorrow is where it must start, it has to

So we're behind Liverpool now, and even a win tomorrow will only take us 10th. Worse goal difference than anyone in the top half, including Swansea and West Ham. Champions League spots (lol) already look like they're restricted to one, not that it was likely to be any different of course.

Need to buck our ideas up very soon.

I realise it is poor forum etiquette to ask in a (seemingly, but unintended) brusque/smug way, but what were you expecting? Your earliest post about Chelsea and Spurs being miles ahead of us made me ask the same question too.

Early season form has, thus far, borne out many of the concerns/predictions which were expected to surface last season. We did remarkably well last season, and I wouldn't seek to denigrate the achievement of finishing fifth (which is, for a club of our financial standing in 2012, a decent achievement) but we were never anywhere close to playing the type of football required to continue competing with those teams long-term without significantly more investment and/or a improved Pardew/better manager.

We eked out narrow victories on the back of our talented first XI. We rarely played good football IMO. (This is, I think, largely accepted forum tautology).

Given summer activity around us, I really have come into this season thinking predictions of higher than 8th are optimistic in the extreme (which is why the Spurs/Chelsea comment made me furrow my brow - you might as well just have said Man Utd/Man City :laugh:). FWIW, I really rate the potential of our first XI - who are capable of magnificent things but I think we'd have a good season to finish 10th given the other crucial factors which weigh in to what is required to hit that top six this season.

2012/13 is all about the cups for me.

The Spurs/Chelsea comment didn't mean anything - we had no chance of finishing above Chelsea again and Spurs are still better than us - it was just an observation. It's been a while since I remember seeing us play with anything like the verve as was on show in that game from both sides, that's all. Certainly not so far this season seven games in and I can't see tomorrow being any different for obvious reasons.

Agree about 8th being a realistic expectation.

For all the fawning over Kyle Walker, he's not half at fault for a fucktonne of the goals Spurs concede.

Because he isn't actually that good.

As for the above comment i think when we use 4-3-3 we are just as good as Spurs if not better as far as first eleven goes although they have a better squad.

We do need to buck our ideas up and sort it out but if we win tomorrow we are only 2 points off 4th it's not really that bad....

But we do have to win and start playing like we can, I still see us finishing 6th or 7th personally.