Things you used to get wrong about football when you were little

Pilko

Guest BooBoo

When I was a kid my Dad told me that he jumped in the helicopter with KK after his testimonial and went for a beer with him at the Gosforth Park Hotel.

It was a good 12 years later when I realised he had been telling porkies.

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

Here's something shocking enough. I didn't know Newcastle and Sunderland were big rivals until I was 9 o_0. Thought Sunderland was just like the other games lol. Twas my cousins, who are Nufc fans also, who informed me of the rivalry in the end, they couldn't believe I didn't know of it. Tbf though I was 9 and growing up in Ireland and it doesn't get a lot of publicity over here.

I was looking after these two lads once. They were aged about 6 and 5, and we'd decided on a game of football. They were arguing about who should kick off, and one of them said, 'Bob must kick off, because he's from Newcastle and the King and Queen live there'.

I remember asking my dad when i was like 6 what the score was and he replied '1-0 to us'.

I came back twenty minutes later asking what the score was and he said 3-0.

I then replied who to?

He had a mini fit trying to explain...i still left none the wiser.

Guest nameless

The first few matches my dad took me to were night games. When I finally got to a match played in the daylight I remember being disappointed because I thought 'real' matches were played at night.

Still something magical about a game under floodlights  :)

Guest James1892

I reckon it was about half a season watching football Italia on 4 before I was fully aware we had a team. Lifesize Marco v.Basten poster on the wall :thup:

I used to think they shouted 'goooooal Lazio' at the start of that show and thought it was unfair to the other teams.

^This! I still don't know what they were actually saying :(

Used to call Reading, Reading (as in reading a book). Thick little spastic what I was.

Did a similar thing myself, called Southampton Soton as that's how it was abbreviated in shoot magazine.

Also tried mugging my man utd supporting mate off asking him if Schmeichel was so good, why didn't he play for England

I once wished and wanted Tino Asprilla to come on as a sub against Manure with bare feet without any football boots on..Coz at that time, there was this cartoon series about a football team called "The Hurricane" IIRC..And there was this character in it that played bare footed so i thought Tino could do something similar seeing he was one of the most skill full players in the league at that time..

When I was 9, in 77, we had a brilliant side, better than the league winning 80-81 side. We won the league cup that year, then four years later, the league, then the year after that, the European Cup, and Super Cup. I mistakenly thought we'd always be that good, and that said success was an indicator of years to come.

I also remember thinking in 77, "we've won the league cup again, so it really can't be long till we win the FA cup again, 20 years since last time is ages, must happen soon".

35 years after that, still waiting :-(

Guest frazernufc

I remember asking my dad if everyone used to see in black and white because the 1966 coverage was always in black and white on tv.