Things you used to get wrong about football when you were little

Pilko

Example:

I used to ask my dad what half time was for, and he used to say it was so the players could all go for a wee. I used to imagine that at the other end of the tunnel to where the players came out that there was a corridor split in two with a lone toilet at the end of either side, and that all the players queued up in their teams for a tinkle before coming back out for the second half.

I also used to think that the goalkeeping coach (whoever he was in about 1997) was Steve Harper's dad for some reason.

I'm sure you all thought wackier things than that when you were in short pants, and I want to hear all about them.

I used to think the way the league table worked was that the 2 teams in any given fixture would swap places if the lower placed team won. I did think this was unfair as a team could lose every match right up to the last game and still win the league but then I later realised that I'd made it up.

I thought a penalty could be given no matter where on the pitch the foul was conceded so long as it was a rash challenge. It lead me to shout for a penalty at every challenge, I was delighted the few times I got it right.

Guest bimpy474

Still get things wrong now, when you take a goal kick i still take it from the side the ball out, even though you're allowed to take the kick from anywhere in your 6 yard box.

Thought that famous chant was "the referee should wake up" :blush: :lol:

Thought possession stats were the amount of passes, not time having the ball

That is how Opta still calculate them - a team's # of passes as a percentage of overall match passes. Amongst football statisticians, this is still hotly debated and causes many arguments.

when I was really little, like 5, I used to think the ball had to hit the net.  Presumably because most goals I saw did so.

It often did with some referee's, thats how over the last month they have introduced goal line tech because unless it did hit the net the ref wouldn't count it

Thought that famous chant was "the referee should wake up" :blush: :lol:

Thought possession stats were the amount of passes, not time having the ball

That is how Opta still calculate them - a teams # of passes as a percentage of overall match passes. Amongst football statisticians, this is still hotly debated and causes many arguments.

Really? Never knew that, just assumed it would be time spent on the ball. Although I suppose that would be quite a bit harder to calculate. Learn something new every day.

Oh, and my dad sometimes used to listen to the match on his hi-fi with a massive pair of headphones. I'd always ask to listen for a few minutes (which I now appreciate must have been really irritating for him) and I'd always think that if I shouted into the headphones something like 'Howay Newcastle we want to see a performance out of ya!' or whatever that the commentators could hear me. :lol: