Adam Campbell released

gbandit

Pardew will probably give him some game time when our league season is well and truly over. We need a few more wins for that to be the case. I could see him getting minutes in the last three or four league matches, especially if we're still alive in Europe.

Reckon he'll get on tonight. Pardew quotes in the Chronicle seem to suggest that Shola will have a post-match reaction to the plastic pitch which will rule him out of Sunday and with Cisse having a virus I'd imagine Pardew would want to give Campbell some minutes on the off chance he's required to play on Sunday.

You'd hope that he'll be on the bench judging by those quotes. Wouldn't surprise me to see Pardew bottle it though and go with one of his 'senior' players instead.

You'd hope that he'll be on the bench judging by those quotes. Wouldn't surprise me to see Pardew bottle it though and go with one of his 'senior' players instead.

I don't see how choosing not to play a completely untested kid against a really good European side would be seen as 'bottling it'. There's taking risks and then there's just being illogical. I'm not trying to trump Shola as something he's not, but give him his due - he's got a good record in Europe for us and actually had a good game over in Kharkiv. He scored the winner for a start.

Shola should and likely will start in Cisse's absence.

EDIT: sorry, just seen you said 'bench', as opposed to 'start'. I wouldn't be against him starting on the bench, however it's an indictment of how poor our front-line still is.

I don't see how choosing not to play a completely untested kid against a really good European side would be seen as 'bottling it'. There's taking risks and then there's just being illogical. I'm not trying to trump Shola as something he's not, but give him his due - he's got a good record in Europe for us and actually had a good game over in Kharkiv. He scored the winner for a start.

Shola should and likely will start in Cisse's absence.

EDIT: sorry, just seen you said 'bench', as opposed to 'start'.

Don't know if that still stands even though you've realised I said bench and not start but I'll explain anyway. If Shola does start, Campbell has to be on the bench, shouldn't even be questioned for me. We simply cannot go into a game without a striker on the bench. What if Shola gets injured, who do we bring on? Regardless of age, experience or anything like that, because he's a striker he really needs to be on there. The pitch should really suit him too which is why I'd personally like to see him get on at some point. They won't know anything about him and getting in behind tired legs in the final 15mins or so could work well for us.

I think Guus Hiddink and his attention to detail will mean they will have a fair idea of Adam Campbell and what he can do. Would like to see him get a run-out, but hopefully not in a situation where we are needing a goal to keep the game alive.

I think Guus Hiddink and his attention to detail will mean they will have a fair idea of Adam Campbell and what he can do. Would like to see him get a run-out, but hopefully not in a situation where we are needing a goal to keep the game alive.

I very much doubt they'll have seen him play.

IRL, yes. On FM, he knows.

IRL, yes. On FM, he knows.

:lol: :thup:

Think he will get on the pitch tonight.  IMO these are the games to bring on a player like this, especially given the injuries we have.  There is no pressure on him as a result and if anything, that should just allow him to do his thing.

If he scores a goal, that really puts him on a new level of confidence.  I would not hesitate personally.

I'd love to see him get minutes tonight. Pardew tactics earlier in the season was terrible. We'd go a goal up or sometimes still be level then Pardew would decide to defend push everyone back and lob completely ineffective high balls to Shola  :rant:  in effect giving the opposition the ball straight back and invited wave after wave of attacks and pressure whilst offering next to nothing back in attack. At least try and hit them on the break with Pace (i.e. Campbell instead of Shola and with fast players down the flanks) and give them something to worry about. Cisse's finishing has been woeful as well so could have done with some competition at times. Yes definitely Campbell instead of Ranger earlier in the season too.